Help on brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Help on brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 3:46 Quote
Any advice, after i crashed my brake lever was reaching the bar and barely biting on the disc , i now have bleed the brake and removed all air and it is still doing the same thing , any suggestions on what to do , or will i need a new lever , the brake is a magura mt5
Thanks

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 3:59 Quote
jfleming52 wrote:
Any advice, after i crashed my brake lever was reaching the bar and barely biting on the disc , i now have bleed the brake and removed all air and it is still doing the same thing , any suggestions on what to do , or will i need a new lever , the brake is a magura mt5
Thanks

If it happened after a crash, I would suspect there is actual damage to the brake or a leak or both.

Is the lever bent? Do you find any physical damage? Was a hose pulled during the crash?

Something must have happened to suddenly lose pressure if the brakes were working correctly before. I would be air had entered the system or you are leaking mineral oil somewhere.

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 4:05 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
jfleming52 wrote:
Thanks

If it happened after a crash, I would suspect there is actual damage to the brake or a leak or both.

Is the lever bent? Do you find any physical damage? Was a hose pulled during the crash?

Something must have happened to suddenly lose pressure if the brakes were working correctly before. I would be air had entered the system or you are leaking mineral oil somewhere.

There was no physical damage to the lever apart for a scratch , and the cable was perfectly fine , it did leak a drop of fuild but I though that could of been because of the impact , if it did have a small leak would that be fixable , thanks

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
jfleming52 wrote:
Branmuffin wrote:
jfleming52 wrote:
Thanks

There was no physical damage to the lever apart for a scratch , and the cable was perfectly fine , it did leak a drop of fuild but I though that could of been because of the impact , if it did have a small leak would that be fixable , thanks

The leak is the issue most likely. Everything is fixable, but you need to figure out where the leak is coming from first. Is it leaking from the caliper? Reservoir? Hose connection?

Posted: Jun 3, 2020 at 15:17 Quote
The magura levers are trash anyway, my mt5 lever just started leaking out the blue half way round cannock chase last week. (Riding the last half with only front brake was interesting). I have since replaced both my levers with Shimano Zee levers as both magura and shimano use mineral oil. So far so good, they have a nice feel and aren't made of plastic!

Nice easy mod to do tbh, you'll need.

Shimano Lever of your choice (I chose zee as they aren't too badly priced)
Shimano olive
Magura 2.3 Barb
Shimano or Magura mineral oil

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004742
Mobile Version of Website