Shimano mt 35 conversion possible?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shimano mt 35 conversion possible?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 12:47 Quote
Can I convert my 9 mm thru axle to 15 on my Shimano mt 35

Posted: Jun 4, 2020 at 19:04 Quote
The short answer is NO.

You would need to replace the hub with a 24-hole hub that takes a 15mm thru-axle, and possibly also replace the spokes. It will be cheaper and easier to get a new front wheel.

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 1:53 Quote
anoplura wrote:
The short answer is NO.

You would need to replace the hub with a 24-hole hub that takes a 15mm thru-axle, and possibly also replace the spokes. It will be cheaper and easier to get a new front wheel.

Cheap Wheel recommendations?

Posted: Jun 5, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
What size wheel? They made the MT-35 in 26", 27.5", and 29" over the years.

Also, do you need 15x100mm or 15x110mm (aka "Boost")?

Lastly, what kind of riding do you do? How much travel does your fork have? What is your budget, and do you want to maximize light weight or durability?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 3:32 Quote
anoplura wrote:
What size wheel? They made the MT-35 in 26", 27.5", and 29" over the years.

Also, do you need 15x100mm or 15x110mm (aka "Boost")?

Lastly, what kind of riding do you do? How much travel does your fork have? What is your budget, and do you want to maximize light weight or durability?

160mm hardtail 15.100 and I ride trails and techy mud hills, I just want a wheel that will last and is not too heavy but doesn’t really matter also my budget is 100 could go to 150 if there was a deal 27.5 tyres

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 5:14 Quote
Have you checked Chain Reaction Cycles or Wiggle. Lots of wheel choices and usually have something on sale?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 18:58 Quote
Since you are in the UK - where Hope is less expensive than it is in the USA - the Hope Fortus seems like the obvious choice. It's available from Wiggle.com or your local shop and should be well within your price range.

A normal number of J-bend spokes, easy adaptability to Boost, and replaceable bearings mean that you'll have a wheel that's easy to maintain, and well-worth repairing. Plus, you get lots of color options for the hub.

The 26mm ID rim is probably what you want for the front - unless you run 2.6" or larger tyres. It'll give your tyre a rounder profile than the 30mm. If/when you eventually need a new rear wheel, I'd suggest the 30mm. It will be a bit more durable, at the expense of a little cornering traction. Since you want your back wheel to break traction before your front, and because you have a hardtail, this is a good trade off.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
anoplura wrote:
Since you are in the UK - where Hope is less expensive than it is in the USA - the Hope Fortus seems like the obvious choice. It's available from Wiggle.com or your local shop and should be well within your price range.

A normal number of J-bend spokes, easy adaptability to Boost, and replaceable bearings mean that you'll have a wheel that's easy to maintain, and well-worth repairing. Plus, you get lots of color options for the hub.

The 26mm ID rim is probably what you want for the front - unless you run 2.6" or larger tyres. It'll give your tyre a rounder profile than the 30mm. If/when you eventually need a new rear wheel, I'd suggest the 30mm. It will be a bit more durable, at the expense of a little cornering traction. Since you want your back wheel to break traction before your front, and because you have a hardtail, this is a good trade off.

I upgraded to Fortus 30 Boost Wheels and fitted with 2.4 tyres. Grippy knobbly front, semi slick WTB Riddler instead of different rim or tyre sizes for looser back end.

£340 including £20 discount for buying a set, (Bike Wheels Direct) £170ish for front, maybe cheaper if you shop around.

Worth every penny and they're great wheels for the price and I highly recommend Hope's.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:01 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
anoplura wrote:

I upgraded to Fortus 30 Boost Wheels and fitted with 2.4 tyres. Grippy knobbly front, semi slick WTB Riddler instead of different rim or tyre sizes for looser back end.

£340 including £20 discount for buying a set, (Bike Wheels Direct) £170ish for front, maybe cheaper if you shop around.

Worth every penny and they're great wheels for the price and I highly recommend Hope's.

I ride centre lock discs though? So are these rims still a option

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:26 Quote
6 bolt only on Hope mtb hubs. You would need new disc/s around £10 each for decent Shimano replacements or maybe conversion kits but I've never used them and don't know if they would be worth it or cheaper than new discs.

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:33 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
6 bolt only on Hope mtb hubs. You would need new disc/s around £10 each for decent Shimano replacements or maybe conversion kits but I've never used them and don't know if they would be worth it or cheaper than new discs.

I have found a dt Swiss hub down from 200 to 75 but is 22.5 rim width is that to thin for a 2.4 tyre

Posted: Jun 7, 2020 at 5:44 Quote
23mm is minimum internal rim width for 2.4 tyres so will be borderline according the this website:-

https://www.lightbicycle.com/newsletter/tire-size-chart-for-bicycle-rim.html

You will probably be ok but I personally would fit 2.3" tyres to be on the safe side as the DT Swiss wheels are good and that is a great deal!

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005045
Mobile Version of Website