Creaky Pivot

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 0:01 Quote
So I just recently replaced my bottom bracket and crank with a brand new one. So i'm 95% sure the sound isnt my BB. My full susp. 09 Fuji reveal has a pretty loud creak coming from what I believe is the main pivot right behind the bottom bracket. I've done a little looking into pivot/bearing service. A lot of people repack bearings and such. With a loud creak is that time for a new bearing? Or does the outer bearing/inside of frame need a coat of grease? Getting the tools to pull and set bearings is a little on the pricey end so I want to be best informed before I dig into it. I'm tempted to let a shop do it there 3 pairs of pivots. 2 pairs of 6001. 1 pair of 608, and the rear pivot on the chain stay. That bushing/bearing is hidden and I don't know what that one is. Any ballpark what a shop would charge? Thanks.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 0:57 Quote
The creak shouldn't be coming from the outer bearing race/frame. They are press fit and only need greasing to stop them seizing in over time so they come out easier for replacement.

If you can carefully remove the bearing seals, clean old contaminated grease out with WD40, really good clean/wipe and let dry as best you can then re pack with fresh grease, replace seals.

Providing there is no play or knocking the bearings haven't been worn down.

Most important thing is cleaning out the inside of bearings of grime and old grease which is what makes the bearings creak so do this thoroughly and take your time.

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
Thanks for the reply. I can try giving that a go. I just wanted to make sure I was going the right route before I spent the time.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005073
Mobile Version of Website