Jeffsy or Izzo?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Jeffsy or Izzo?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 1:45 Quote
I need help. I’m trying to decide between the Jeffsy and the Izzo and I’m stuck.

I’m currently riding an over forked hardtail (2014 Trek Stache with a 140mm fork) and I’m after a more aggressive full suspension trail bike. Something with enough heft for days at the bike park but also zippy enough to flow around a trail centre.

I’m considering the 2020 Pro Race version of both the Izzo and the Jeffsy.

Izzo: I think this could be perfect but I would want to change the fork (for a fox 36 at 140 or maybe 150mm), stem, bars, tyres and remove the shock lockout. I’m wondering if upsizing the fork is going to compromise the handling (I emailed YT and they advised against it). I also worry that a stock 130/130 would overlap with the hardtail - I know they’re very different bikes but I can see myself using the hardtail for the kind of riding the Izzo is designed for.

Jeffsy: This has just about the exact spec I want and it’s very appealing to just buy it and ride without changing a bunch of parts but I’m wondering if 150mm at the back is going to be too much for some of the riding I do. I’m happy to compromise a little bit of climbing ability but I would like something poppy and playful.

Side question: I’m 6ft 1in which puts me right between L and XL according to YT’s sizing chart. How do I choose which to buy?

What do people think?

Posted: Jun 6, 2020 at 2:48 Quote
I don't know, but I think it's weird to buy an Izzo to overfork it with a 36... Just buy a Jeffsy at this point, no ? Especially if you have the hardtail for more mellow riding, and the Jeffsy is not a Capra either, good bike for trail riding.

At 6ft1, go for the XL, it will be perfect. The YT are sizing quite small, I was on an XL Capra and I'm 6ft.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 8:16 Quote
From what you are describing, you want the Jeffsy. You can always lockout the rear for climbing. I have the '19 AL Jeffsy and I don't have any issues with climbing. I even switched to the Jade coil in the rear with no lockout and it's still fine.

No reason to throw parts at the Izzo to make it a bike it wasn't designed for. If you want a bike for local trails that you can also take to a DH park, get the Jeffsy and maybe think about a coil in the rear. I've done most of the black tech at Thunder Mountain and the Jeffsy can handle it.

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 10:39 Quote
It sounds like you'd be happier on the Jeffsy.

I've already got a Capra 27 for rowdy gravity riding, so the Izzo will fill a space in my quiver for the light/fast trail riding. If you want 1 bike for both, get the Jeffsy.

On the size, I'd say it has to do with what you'll ride. I'm right at the break between sizes too. I went with an XL Capra, for the little extra high-speed stability that comes with a longer bike, but I ordered a L Izzo, so I'd be able to move around the bike a little easier on tighter trails.

Also note that this sizing is different for different models.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 8:06 Quote
Kamill1 wrote:
From what you are describing, you want the Jeffsy. You can always lockout the rear for climbing. I have the '19 AL Jeffsy and I don't have any issues with climbing. I even switched to the Jade coil in the rear with no lockout and it's still fine.

No reason to throw parts at the Izzo to make it a bike it wasn't designed for. If you want a bike for local trails that you can also take to a DH park, get the Jeffsy and maybe think about a coil in the rear. I've done most of the black tech at Thunder Mountain and the Jeffsy can handle it.
Sorry I don't mean to hijack too much but when you got the jade did you need to get new mounting hardware or did you use the existing hardware from the deluxe?

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 2:36 Quote
I bought a Jeffsy on release in 2016. I immediately changed the Fork for 160 from 140. In retrospect this was a mistake and immediately indicated i bought the wrong bike. I have bought an IZZO with longer rides in mind that can handle some rough terrain but certainly not for smashing through Rock gardens at high speed like the Jeffsy would handle. The IZZO is designed to be quick up as well as down. My 2016 jeffsy had a lot of pedal bob with the stock shock which i also swapped for a Fox CTD. In the end it was a bit of a Frankenbike i felt.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005957
Mobile Version of Website