What are this bikes limits

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
What are this bikes limits
Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 15:39 Quote
P2urban wrote:
Actually, you may be surprised to find out... this for is SUPER smooth... not stiff at all. But I ham thinking about getting an argyle 409, or a pike, along with a new BB/crankset, and a hayes stroker trail rear brake.

He ment stiff as in not flexy. Not stiff as in the fork didnt move.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 15:46 Quote
OHHH ok,haha, my bad.Whatever,im probably geting ridogit in a few months to buy a 2008 Manitou gold label. And a new front wheel,(single track) and new rearwheel, same thing,and somenew brake pads.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 15:54 Quote
it can obviously handle dj and street, and some trails/freeride, and for dh, it could
handle it, but it would be no fun on a hardtail.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:04 Quote
okay,thanks. Would the gold label be an ok,fork?

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:06 Quote
my friend. a DH'er seperated the headtube on a particularly rough section of fort bill

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:30 Quote
He is saying the head tube pulled out of the crown. That bike you have there is a pretty solid build. Weird crashes and casing jumps can wreck any bike. Under normal riding though and what not your bike will hold up to more than you can. You will see. Also depends on how heavy you are? If you are light like me 145-150lbs. Then It is plenty of strength for anything. If you are over 200 then who knows. But regardless that bike should be good for anything. I bet you will back down before the bike does.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
Probably more then you could dish out.

Just go ride, there's nothing to worry about.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:34 Quote
my fork is only a 9mm axel though, and I weigh 181 pounds, possibly up to 10 pounds lighter though, havent weighed myself in a while, haha

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
yah quick release. You should look into upgrading. That is a beefed fork and frame and it means little when you have a flexy wheel set up. It will still hold up. You will just notice it when you turn and pretty much during any kind of riding. The flex is noticeable. I run 9mm or whatever but what I did is convert it to a solid axle with nuts. It increased the stiffness dramatically.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:38 Quote
P2urban wrote:
my fork is only a 9mm axel though, and I weigh 181 pounds, possibly up to 10 pounds lighter though, havent weighed myself in a while, haha

Then go buy a new one if you don't feel safe on it. But unless you are a major hack it will be fine.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 16:41 Quote
Okay, i will go by the gold label

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 18:23 Quote
is this a wise idea?

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 18:34 Quote
The goldlabe is a great fork, if your getting a new one then the gl would be the way to go. But it's very unlikely that you'll actualy have problems with the fork you already have, it's not like your the first person to go big on a 9mm axel fork, Kyle strait used a fox 32 last year at crankworks.

Posted: Feb 29, 2008 at 19:46 Quote
It's a real hard call to say how much your bike can handle. Ususally with bikes breaking it is the accumulation of wear and tear as opposed to a 5 versus a 15 drop. I rode that frame for a few years and broke it, but it had nothing to do with me "going too big" on it, it was the accumulation of abuse to it and eventually the dropouts wore out. I don't think I ever broke a part due to stress of one maneuver or one discipline.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011835
Mobile Version of Website