Loud a** brakes?

PB Forum :: Fat Bikes
Loud a** brakes?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 10:37 Quote
Hey every one, I got a giant yukon 2 at the end of 2019, love the bike rode it about 250 km this winter and spring. I have one complaint about this bike and it is the super noisy brakes, Shimano mt201(hydraulic) 180mm front 160 mm rear, more specifically the rear one.

I have tried to clean them, disks with scotchbright and brake cleaner and pads with sand paper and isopropil alcohol, nothing I do seems to quiet them down. I thought it might be because they always got wet in the snow and mud, but i took the bike out last week for a dry ride and they screetched the whole time.

Any advice would help, do I need to change my pads, is it a new compound that i need, or are these brakes simply too weak to stop my massive 4.5'' tires?

I also met a guy on a trail who had the same bike and the exact same complaint, any other yukon users have this issue? or any other fat bike?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 8, 2020 at 17:02 Quote
I have Shimano M315's with 180 MM rotors front/rear on my Northrock 00. The rear has squealed like a pig since new but only at low speeds like just before coming to a stop. Its vibration, it might be due to the mounting position/method of the caliper on the frame as I have the exact same brake caliper, pads, and rotor front and rear and the front is perfectly quiet.

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 7:22 Quote
f******* same here mate

Posted: Jun 10, 2020 at 18:47 Quote
check and make sure your calipers are not leaking, i had a very very slow leak on my deore rear caliper and it was dropping very tiny amounts on my disc.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 4:15 Quote
A teeny dab of copperpaste on the backing plate should quiten em up nicely.

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 4:45 Quote
I found that brake noise is unavoidable with the organic pads/water combo . The water fasten pad glazing and I had to do full brake bedding process each time (sanding/cleaning/bedding pads and rotors).

Using metallic pads did the trick for me for wet applications (fatbike during winter)

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 18:54 Quote
Might want to check this out...

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=225472

Posted: Nov 15, 2020 at 19:19 Quote
If you strap your fatbike to the back of a vehicle during winter travel, you'll never get over loud brakes. All the cleaning, prep, sanding, praying, whatever, they'll just keep whining down the hill.

Posted: Nov 16, 2020 at 13:20 Quote
charliejohnson wrote:
Might want to check this out...

https://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=225472

Thanks ill try this! I did clean them last winter and got them pretty silent this summer, but they still have the occasional screech!

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 8:54 Quote
In addition, I have tried brake cleaner too (well ventilated area outside) and used a lighter/torch to quickly burn off any residual grease and cleaner.

Sandpaper treatment and alcohol or brake cleaner on the pads too.

Doesn't always work- so I use fresh new metal pads and new rotor when all else fails.

O+
Posted: Nov 17, 2020 at 9:14 Quote
Clean rotors with pure acetone. Do not try to burn off anything. Use a clean paper towel for each one. Other cleaners may leave residue or just smear what contaminants are on there. I usually use a new scotchbrite pad after initial cleaning then a wipe down after the scotchbrite scuff. If my pads are contaminated, I use a clean, fine grain file (for flatness) to prep my pads or use new ones. I also soak them in acetone and let them dry. Anti-seize (very small amount) on the backer of the pad. Clean caliper surfaces (inside) with acetone on a Qtip.
This method has worked for me (noise/howl free brakes).

Posted: Dec 1, 2020 at 13:22 Quote
I just bought a Cove Hooker slopestyle bike (I know, nothing fat about it) and the rear brake squealed like an over- exited piglet. I assumed it was because the rotor was bent horribly (it was very much bent) and bought a new rotor.
Same thing as @lvdukerider says above, my new one still squeals but only after slowing down a bunch. It seems I could have stayed with the other one and just tried unbending it.

The only comfort I get is that I watch video's here on PB with the pro's brakes squeaking away just like us mortals do!

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 14:52 Quote
my brakes worked great last winter, mostly silent and great bite. Once weather started up up and trails turned wet and slushy my brakes started getting loud. Then I out the bike away for summer. Just went out for first time last weekend and my brakes make noise still and do not have nearly as much bite anymore. Levers feel fine, not like there is air in them. Rear is worse than front for stopping bite. Shimano XT m8000 with Shimano metal pads.
They did look glazed so I sanded them and cleaned the rotors with alcohol, but the stopping bite has not gotten better yet. not sure if bedding them in will help. rotors have some grooves in them too.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.021559
Mobile Version of Website