2020 specialized enduro cracked frame

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
2020 specialized enduro cracked frame
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 4:15 Quote
Uchwmdr wrote:
In my opinion it is outrageous for a flagman model bike from a top brand like specialized to have such weakness... the junction between the top tube and the seattube is clearly too small and too weak. I dont know what were they thinking, but you can see this area being heavily reinforces on every other brand and bike of the same category. Maybe except santa cruz, but they have special carbon fiber layouts and ive never seen such cracks on them. Not to mention about the lifetime warranty. Im not some santa cruz fanboy, but i think that for that price and quality, this specialized absolutely does not deserve your money despite the customer service they provide. They should not only send you s works frame asap, but write you an apology letter and totally revise this shitframe they are selling people. At your place i would be mad like hell.

Call back from dealer, looks like Spesh know about this issue as they have agreed the swap without even investigating. Dealer suggested it is rare but known issue.....I'm ok with this. They have S-Works frames in stock. It will cost me money as I Invisframed from new, which I will re-do.

I had a look around (over the weekend) at some other options like Megatower, Capra, Yeti SB150, Nukeproof etc but think they don't quite match the performance of the Enduro, so the hassle Vs reward ratio is still in the favor of the Spesh. Before I bought the Enduro I had my heart set on a SB150.

To be honest I've not pushed the Enduro yet (not raced it), but has beaten my some of my old Strava times versus lots of older bikes (Mondraker Dune, Capra, Whyte S150, Lapierre Spicy, Stumpy) without even going flat out on the Enduro. It pedals well for the travel and is just about playful enough on mellow trails too.......

O+
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
JasenK wrote:
Call back from dealer, looks like Spesh know about this issue as they have agreed the swap without even investigating. Dealer suggested it is rare but known issue.....I'm ok with this. They have S-Works frames in stock. It will cost me money as I Invisframed from new, which I will re-do.

I had a look around (over the weekend) at some other options like Megatower, Capra, Yeti SB150, Nukeproof etc but think they don't quite match the performance of the Enduro, so the hassle Vs reward ratio is still in the favor of the Spesh. Before I bought the Enduro I had my heart set on a SB150.

To be honest I've not pushed the Enduro yet (not raced it), but has beaten my some of my old Strava times versus lots of older bikes (Mondraker Dune, Capra, Whyte S150, Lapierre Spicy, Stumpy) without even going flat out on the Enduro. It pedals well for the travel and is just about playful enough on mellow trails too.......

Yeah thats about what happened to me. Bike shop was skeptical but then got a call back same day that they were going to warranty it. However theres NONE in stock in the US so they're shipping it from Europe somewhere. Hoping they also give me the dhx2 for the hassle lol. I agree with you though, ive looked at other bikes as well and really the only other thing I'd consider as a direct swap would be the Megatower.

I sent Specialized an email asking them what would happen if the replacement frame has the same issue. Really hoping it doesnt come to that but also would love the peace of mind of an updated frame.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 10:30 Quote
gserrato wrote:
JasenK wrote:

Yeah thats about what happened to me. Bike shop was skeptical but then got a call back same day that they were going to warranty it. However theres NONE in stock in the US so they're shipping it from Europe somewhere. Hoping they also give me the dhx2 for the hassle lol. I agree with you though, ive looked at other bikes as well and really the only other thing I'd consider as a direct swap would be the Megatower.

I sent Specialized an email asking them what would happen if the replacement frame has the same issue. Really hoping it doesnt come to that but also would love the peace of mind of an updated frame.

Apparently there are still a few of the white / cream S-Works frames over here in S4. I was given the option of the "GRANITE / BRUSHED BLACK CHROME" frame only option but want the bike to be original even though I prefer that color, and they asked if I want to change to an S3 or S5.....my S4 sizing is spot on, so sticking with it.

As I mentioned, dealer implied it was a known issue but pretty rare, but would be interested to know what you hear back as Spesh USA will be from the horses mouth so to speak :-)

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
So here’s an update. The frame has arrived in the US and I should have it this week.

I guess specialized is running so incredibly lean that communication is just as hard as keeping bikes in stock.
So it makes sense.

I have been riding the bike since the incident and the crack did not spread. So it makes me think maybe it’s a stress propagation that hasn’t reached the carbon. But still not a good thing.

Anyways. Will update again when it arrives! Faith in specialized restored

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 15:46 Quote
Well, it came in!
photo

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 13:26 Quote
gserrato wrote:
So here’s an update. The frame has arrived in the US and I should have it this week.

I guess specialized is running so incredibly lean that communication is just as hard as keeping bikes in stock.
So it makes sense.

I have been riding the bike since the incident and the crack did not spread. So it makes me think maybe it’s a stress propagation that hasn’t reached the carbon. But still not a good thing.

Anyways. Will update again when it arrives! Faith in specialized restored

Yes, I've marked my cracks with a permanent marker to see if they are growing and they haven't even though I've continued riding the bike. The frame has turned up at the dealers but I'm delaying the swap until September for various reasons.....

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 9:52 Quote
Hi All - I believe I am having the same issue with my 2020 Expert frame.
There seems to be a crack at the seat tube junction as well as below the sticker.

Will reach out to Specialized soon to get it figured out.
photo

photo

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2020 at 19:39 Quote
Cgagnon7 wrote:
Hi All - I believe I am having the same issue with my 2020 Expert frame.
There seems to be a crack at the seat tube junction as well as below the sticker.

Will reach out to Specialized soon to get it figured out.

Wow dude yes. That’s for sure the same issue. Funny, same frame same size. How much do you weigh?

My hypothesis is that it probably isn’t an internal carbon issue but it’s in fact a glossy finish that’s too brittle for that particular location. Either way, it’s flexing enough for a crack to propagate which is undoubtedly a manufacturer defect.
Maybe you’ll get lucky and get a 2021 replacement

Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
Any further updates? I'm looking for a new bike now - waiting for the new Capra but it's a toss up between that and a used Enduro, or even an ex-demo brand new but no warranty Enduro.
I saw the Van-Can thing and those two young American guys, one of whom has a purple one... lots of tales of cracked frames mentioned.
I wish they would do an alloy one to be honest. I can't afford carbon one and I don't want one either to be honest.

O+
Posted: Jan 2, 2021 at 18:47 Quote
jaame wrote:
Any further updates?

What size would you get? So far I’ve only seen this happen on glossy finish S4 enduros

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 0:22 Quote
I would be looking to get a Comp in either glossy blue or matte black. Size would be S4 unless I got a really sweet deal on an S3. At 6’0” I think I’m kind of between sizes.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 2:13 Quote
truly shows how they make mountain bike these days. they make it weaker so it dont last long. heres me with a 2010 enduro. Im heavy and im not easy on my bike but mine still works. it was used too. 26er for life when bikes were great and dont break.

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 6:33 Quote
jaame wrote:
I would be looking to get a Comp in either glossy blue or matte black. Size would be S4 unless I got a really sweet deal on an S3. At 6’0” I think I’m kind of between sizes.

You are deffo not an S3. You're an S4 bordering S5. These bikes come up with a very cramped cockpit despite what the numbers might suggest

Posted: Jan 3, 2021 at 6:47 Quote
Thanks for the tip

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 3:55 Quote
I'm 6ft and the S4 fit is perfect for me.....as mentioned, the cockpit is more compact due to the steep seat tube angle, but there is a lot of bike hanging outside of the rider due to the long wheel base. It does make it a bit more challenging to wheelies / manual than a lot of my older bikes (Whyte S150, Mondraker Dune, YT Capra, Lapierre Spicy, Spesh Stumpy 29er), but still doable and worth the compromise if you want to go fast. If just looking for a fun bike to flick around and jump then I'd look elsewhere.....

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.016523
Mobile Version of Website