The do it all mtb?

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 14:50 Quote
Why does everyone have a hard on for 12 speed?

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 14:54 Quote
ricochetrabbit wrote:
Why does everyone have a hard on for 12 speed?

Ha, I was going to say in my last post that I'm seriously thinking about trying the Microshift 10 speed set up, but the bikes he's considering are both 12 speed and I didn't want to derail the thread.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 15:08 Quote
commental wrote:
Evkat wrote:
So I’m thinking about the Ripmo over the stumpy purely because it has more travel. However, they replaced the nx model with the Deore. That might be a dealbreaker for me as I generally like SRAM more. Is there really a big difference between the nx and the Deore?

Probably not much in it, I run both Sram and Shimano on different bikes. Overall I think Shimano is better VFM. I haven't tried their 12 speed stuff yet, but I'll probably go XT rather than replace my X01 drivetrain when it craps out.

Ah ok, I guess I can give Shimano a try, I had an Altus on my hardtail and it was terrible. It would be nice if the Ripmo came with the xt, not just the Deore m6100 for 200 more.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 16:58 Quote
Evkat wrote:
commental wrote:
Evkat wrote:
So I’m thinking about the Ripmo over the stumpy purely because it has more travel. However, they replaced the nx model with the Deore. That might be a dealbreaker for me as I generally like SRAM more. Is there really a big difference between the nx and the Deore?

Probably not much in it, I run both Sram and Shimano on different bikes. Overall I think Shimano is better VFM. I haven't tried their 12 speed stuff yet, but I'll probably go XT rather than replace my X01 drivetrain when it craps out.

Ah ok, I guess I can give Shimano a try, I had an Altus on my hardtail and it was terrible. It would be nice if the Ripmo came with the xt, not just the Deore m6100 for 200 more.

If you're buying from your LBS it's probably worth talking to them about that. My LBS lets me upgrade for less than retail if I'm buying a new bike.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 17:28 Quote
commental wrote:
Evkat wrote:
commental wrote:

If you're buying from your LBS it's probably worth talking to them about that. My LBS lets me upgrade for less than retail if I'm buying a new bike.

@Evkat I have an altus and I hate it. Thinking of upgrading. I heard the deore has hyperglide plus which I heard is good

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 17:47 Quote
I would have to wait a while to buy from a shop as they aren’t getting any new bikes in. I’m thinking of buying from Jenson USA when they have it.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 1:10 Quote
Can't recommend the Bird AM9 enough. Climbs really really well and is just a beast downhill. People often say "they're incredible bike for the price" but I disagree, they're incredible bikes regardless of the price, the price is just a nice extra.

Owned a Stumpjumper Evo for an year, can't recommend it:
- even with a 160mm fork and high setting the BB is very low for actually pedaling up anything that's not a fireroad
- no bash guard mounts
- very linear rear suspension, blew through travel
- very low anti squat made it really sluggish on climbs
- bad frame durability, after one year it was creaking everywhere, half the bearings were shot and I've bent two shock bolts

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 10:45 Quote
Arierep wrote:
Can't recommend the Bird AM9 enough. Climbs really really well and is just a beast downhill. People often say "they're incredible bike for the price" but I disagree, they're incredible bikes regardless of the price, the price is just a nice extra.

Owned a Stumpjumper Evo for an year, can't recommend it:
- even with a 160mm fork and high setting the BB is very low for actually pedaling up anything that's not a fireroad
- no bash guard mounts
- very linear rear suspension, blew through travel
- very low anti squat made it really sluggish on climbs
- bad frame durability, after one year it was creaking everywhere, half the bearings were shot and I've bent two shock bolts

I agree with you on the stumpjumper, I think it isn’t really meant for chunky downhill, and I don’t want to start changing stuff right after I buy the bike so I’m staying away from it. I don’t know about bird, I don’t really want a bike where the majority of their headquarters are out of country. That’s half the reason I’m staying away from Yt.

Posted: Jun 18, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
Well, can't argue with that, it's a valid objection.
In that case I'd go Ripmo AF, no question.
Very similar to the AM9 in some ways that:
- high anti squat
- balanced head angle should keep it usable on technical climbing including corners
- no crazy low BB
- threaded BB
- short seat tube means you can upsize

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 17:59 Quote
Anyone know when anything will be in stock? The Ripmo isn’t in stock anywhere! I can’t even find a decent used bike.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 18:13 Quote
My specialized shop said Novemberish.

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 18:32 Quote
blakplastic wrote:
My specialized shop said Novemberish.

Wow! Well I guess I won’t be getting a bike for a while Frown

Posted: Jun 23, 2020 at 21:36 Quote
Dunno why dude recommended ex when you said some bike park. I'd go trek slash if looking at trek more travel and slacker more fun. But ripmo is rad. The yt capra 29 isnt bad but I'd say the Commencal Meta AM 29 is better all a rounder in 29. Good builds for price and they are solid frames

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 4:52 Quote
StokedExplorer wrote:
Dunno why dude recommended ex when you said some bike park. I'd go trek slash if looking at trek more travel and slacker more fun. But ripmo is rad. The yt capra 29 isnt bad but I'd say the Commencal Meta AM 29 is better all a rounder in 29. Good builds for price and they are solid frames

Figured the Slash would be out of his budget.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014640
Mobile Version of Website