Powered by Outside

Fork and shock oil alternatives

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Fork and shock oil alternatives
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 10:58 Quote
I created a document based on the usual sources and updated everything with what's available today, removed a lot of cross-sourced oils (motorcycle manufacturers all source their oils from Showa, Kayaba and so on)

The left part is everything in manufacturer order, the right part is in viscosity at 40C, you can use that to check similar oils and just try to find one that matches the closes to what you need by comparing their viscosity at 100C and their viscosity (VI) index.

For example, if I need Rockshox 2.5wt it has a cSt@40C of 10.8, cSt@100C of 4 and VI of 325, then Spectro Golden Shock Ultra Light 2.5 is extremely close with its 10.4, 4.4 and 385... Heck, it's possibly the same as Rockshox doesn't produce oil!

Here's a link to a folder with the document in Excel and PDF format along with a folder with all the different PDF for the manufacturers' datasheets

CLICK HERE

I'm missing a couple of number sadly, I've read that FOX's Float Fluid is the same as 75 to 90w gear oil but couldn't find exact viscosity numbers (that's what made me start this project in the first place), if you want to help just give me the numbers down below, I'll continue adding as time goes, possibly curating and adding a separate section to cross check with non suspension oils.

A big thanks to all the websites that had already done a big part of the work and helped me build the base of my document, sadly most of these lists aren't up to date and some companies don't sell suspension oil anymore. Some of the oils included in these lists aren't suspension fluids per se, I tried to do some cleanup and limit the number of non-suspension oils even though I know ATF is pretty popular (I've used it on my motorcycles).

Mahonkin (can't link directly because of the ~ in the address): http://mahonkin.com/~milktree/motorcycles/fork-oil.html

WPLBike

Mediaturbo

Peter Verdone

TransMoto

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 2:00 Quote
This list is gold

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008100
Mobile Version of Website