MAXAM mtb, early-mid 90s?

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
MAXAM mtb, early-mid 90s?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 12, 2020 at 11:37 Quote
Many, many, many (many) years ago, I had the opportunity to join the team at the now defunct CyclePath bike shop in Victoria BC. After a very brief tenure on the squad, I ended up being lusted away from CyclePath and into/onto the Kona pro development team...I was young, and the Kona brand had such a pull on me at the time.

To get to the point: While with CyclePath I was mulling over which of their bikes to put under me. In addition to Iron Horse and Wheeler, the shop was slinging a brand called Maxxim (??) at the time. I've seen exactly ONE in the wild over the past 25 years (Vancouver BC)...and one for sale on craigslist (Victoria BC)...

I've always been curious about this brand/company (Maxxim), but can't find any information on their history; or really any evidence that they ever existed at all...

Anyone have any info on this elusive company?

Respectfully,

AGH

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 19:42 Quote
Maxam...that's why I'm not turning anything up; got the name wrong.
Can anyone speak to these bikes?

Thanks

Posted: Jun 16, 2020 at 19:44 Quote
I'm seeing that Maxam were made by Wheeler; interesting. Pretty run-of-the-mill as I understand(?). I'm starting to see why I went with the Kona.

Posted: Jun 17, 2020 at 3:25 Quote
Found this on a vague google search...'Maxam was an in house brand for CYCLEPATH Bicycle Stores, the franchise folded in 1996'

There are loads on Google image.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 14:40 Quote
Funny....that was the store that my brother-in-law worked at in the early 90's when he was at university.
He got a pretty nice Univega while he was working there.

Me being a student as well I couldn't afford a bike until around '92, and he scored me a deal on a Maxam. You're right, nothing fancy, but she was a 'purdy' blue Smile

Ended up going on some rides with another shop guy, Simon, who had a sweeeet Off Road Toad.

Fond memories of hanging around the shop, being a general nuisance etc.....

Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 18:55 Quote
I had 2 of those fancy blue anodized MAXAM Warpdrive frames way back in 94 95... I Remember a purple anodized one being an option too.

Most of their bikes were fairly generic Taiwanese made stuff, Only available at Cyclepath. and completely disappeared when the franchised folded.

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:58 Quote
alexisghildreth wrote:
Many, many, many (many) years ago, I had the opportunity to join the team at the now defunct CyclePath bike shop in Victoria BC. After a very brief tenure on the squad, I ended up being lusted away from CyclePath and into/onto the Kona pro development team...I was young, and the Kona brand had such a pull on me at the time.

Anyone have any info on this elusive company?

Respectfully,

AGH

Can't put my finger on the exact date but I'll guess pre '93 they were and independent brand owned in Canada but built in China, and retailed through a few sources but primarily Cyclepath. They were really nice bikes, well spec'ed and with a good build quality. Then Canada slapped anti dumping duties on bikes coming from China, it killed a couple Canadian brands (TECH and BRC went away if I recall correctly) and almost killed Maxam... they (he?) did a deal with Cyclepath to try and save the company becoming become pretty much an exclusive brand. Unfortunately they also brought the manufacturing to the US .. to a company called BCA, Bicycle Corporation of America. When that happened the build quality went to crap, the finishes were terrible and the specs went down, pretty much spelled the end for the company.

Source ..managed a Cyclepath franchise '92 - '95

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005527
Mobile Version of Website