Need input on Trek Session 9.9 vs YT Tues

PB Forum :: Downhill
Need input on Trek Session 9.9 vs YT Tues
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 14:32 Quote
I always hate starting a new thread but I can't find any similar discussions. So here we go:

Can anyone provide input on how a Tues would compare in ride feel to the Session? There's not a single comparison between the bikes on the internet.

The story:
I own a '15 session 9.9. I've put tons of time and money into updating and upgrading everything. But I think it's new bike time.

The argument going on in my head:
Should I order a new session frame and swap over all my components? Or for a little bit cheaper I could buy a complete YT Tues.

I've never ridden a Tues, but I'm becoming a big YT fan. The specs on the frame seem just as good as the session, and maybe a bit more modern. And holy hell that bike looks so good! But a spec list only goes so far.

Why not stick with the session?
I used to be a big session fan boy! But, with all these other amazing DH bikes coming out, the bike is starting to look outdated. But I could be wrong, maybe they haven't changed much because Trek found the perfect formula and never felt the need to change it. Maybe it's all in my head and the session is still the top DH bike.

Thoughts?

I wish bike shops were open so I could demo bikes.....

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 18:53 Quote
First off, no the session is not outdated. Not many bikes are if they have been a good design from the start, which is true for the Session.
Secondly, what part spec are we talking about, because as far as i´m concerned the new YTs suck balls when it comes to parts except for the top of the line models and even those are more about the bling factor imho.
Retiring a 5 year old bike is not a bad idea if it´s been properly ridden, but take a look at other offerings and what discounts maybe local shops can offer you. YT used to be good, but often enough now a good deal on one of the established brands can actually beat their offerings.
Besides that, you should maybe specify a little more what you would like to see in a new bike, because imho the Tues and Session don´t feel all too different. If you wanna experience something new that actually differs from what you know, something like the Commencal Supreme may be a better option.

Posted: Jun 13, 2020 at 21:46 Quote
Yo dude thanks for a thoughtful response!

To answer your last question, I LOOOVE my session so if I'm moving on to a different bike I definitely want it to have a similar personally: playful, light, and floats over a rock garden vs other bikes that plow.

I guess I'm looking for a bike that has a modem long wheelbase, keeps most of the weight centered and down low, and of course still playful. Looking at the Tues it appears to check those boxes. I'm worried other bikes are developing new designs to make their bikes more badass, while the session sticks to the same design that was badass in 2013. What is it about YT lately that is bad? If I went with the Tues I'd swap over my components, or just upgrade the sucky parts.

Posted: Jun 14, 2020 at 5:42 Quote
Carson5schnack wrote:
Yo dude thanks for a thoughtful response!

To answer your last question, I LOOOVE my session so if I'm moving on to a different bike I definitely want it to have a similar personally: playful, light, and floats over a rock garden vs other bikes that plow.

I guess I'm looking for a bike that has a modem long wheelbase, keeps most of the weight centered and down low, and of course still playful. Looking at the Tues it appears to check those boxes. I'm worried other bikes are developing new designs to make their bikes more badass, while the session sticks to the same design that was badass in 2013. What is it about YT lately that is bad? If I went with the Tues I'd swap over my components, or just upgrade the sucky parts.

You can pick up last years top of the line for $4500 from YT in XL and XXL from the outlet store.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004953
Mobile Version of Website