2018-2020 Alloy Instinct recall!

PB Forum :: Rocky Mountain Bikes
2018-2020 Alloy Instinct recall!
O+
Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 5:39 Quote
When it was first announced I called to see if I could pay a small fee to upgrade to a carbon frame. The guy who answered the phone was pleasant enough but shot me down pretty quickly.

I'm not to worried, and my LBS has been handling it, it just seemed weird to send an email like that with no number.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 15:47 Quote
photo

Well...it's now grey and green. I updated the drive with a wolftooth 28t oval and Sunrace 11-50t cassette. My old man legs are happy climbing at least. Still a great riding bike.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 17:15 Quote
Yeah not half bad. Still won't personally be buying a rocky mountain again though.

Posted: Sep 19, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
Ya not insane really. Its a love hate now because I always loved how the bike rode, been the best one Ive had in 12 years, but Im a little worried still about something else breaking.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 7:28 Quote
photo

New 2019 Instinct BC front triangle looks not bad, I think I like it better than the root beer brown I had before. Bike rides great as usual. Still disappointed in Rocky but with a new front triangle and good set up won't be changing this bike any time soon.

O+
Posted: Sep 23, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Did you remove the stickers from the wheels?

Looks good, also have a 2019 being replaced.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 14:06 Quote
I was looking at buying a 2019 Bike in Nov and a buddie warned me about RM frames breaking and their CS/Warranty Dept being awful to deal with.

I will never buy a RM after this seeing and hearing this shit show.

What ever happened to take care of your customers?

Posted: Sep 29, 2020 at 14:53 Quote
Acid11 wrote:
I was looking at buying a 2019 Bike in Nov and a buddie warned me about RM frames breaking and their CS/Warranty Dept being awful to deal with.

I will never buy a RM after this seeing and hearing this shit show.

What ever happened to take care of your customers?

I don't blame you and anyone who looks into RM will probably note the recall/frame quality control issues. To be fair it depends on the shop you're dealing with as well. If they have a large inventory of RM bikes/buying history then they have more bargaining power to get things dealt with. This is good for the customer but also another indictment against RM refusing to take care of customers unless a shop twists their arm.

Posted: Oct 4, 2020 at 13:39 Quote
Took my frame in today to get replaced. Shop informed me most of their replacements have taken 4-6 weeks. I’ve had a couple hardware replacements prior to this and wasn’t impressed with Rocky’s CS dept because of those. Talking to my shop today it seems that Rocky has done a terrible job communicating to their dealers during this process and has left a bad taste for not only customers but dealers as well.

O+
Posted: Oct 13, 2020 at 13:17 Quote
I've heard some people have had success getting their rear triangle re-sprayed if you create a big enough stink. Mine is black, so we'll see what this looks like when I get it back this week, but that would actually be a decent solution. Anybody else hear the same?

O+
Posted: Oct 22, 2020 at 8:03 Quote
NRZ wrote:
Did you remove the stickers from the wheels?

Looks good, also has 2019 being replaced.

I transferred old wheels when I bought the bike, I am hard on hubs and value to the durability of my hopes and I could get more money selling the new stock wheels than my older stans on hopes so I kept them. Also, I have broken a rocky frame previously and found their warranty easy and relatively quick. That being said my shop is a long-time rocky dealer, like 30 years, and a great shop that sells a lot of Rocky's so maybe they get better care. I am also in Victoria BC so close to rocky. I love the way these bikes ride and have a new front triangle so going to ride it a long time, or until I break it...

O+
Posted: Oct 26, 2020 at 6:05 Quote
Took about 8 weeks after submitting my recall but I am finally all set. The bike was dropped off on Friday afternoon and ready the next day in the evening. The shop did a great job and while it's not the dark brown that I loved, the gray certainly looks better in person than in the pictures. I'll probably remove/swap/whatever the Raceface stickers from the wheels and maybe the Fox stickers, but it looks good as it is.

O+
Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 5:16 Quote
[Quote="NRZ"]Took about 8 weeks after submitting my recall but I am finally all set. The bike was dropped off on Friday afternoon and ready the next day in the evening. The shop did a great job and while it's not the dark brown that I loved, the gray certainly looks better in person than in the pictures. I'll probably remove/swap/whatever the Raceface stickers from the wheels and maybe the Fox stickers, but it looks good as it is.[/Quote

If you take the stickers off the rims and change your fork and shock stickers to grey the black and grey is a stealth look that I think is mint.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 at 9:45 Quote
Yeah the frame looks alright. Will never be buying a Rocky again though honestly.

O+
Posted: Nov 13, 2020 at 15:00 Quote
Anyone else having trouble with their cranks loosening? I've taken it to the LBS multiple times.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.300064
Mobile Version of Website