Help me suck less with clipless

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Help me suck less with clipless
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 6:12 Quote
NorCalNomad wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
You what mate? There is no bad technique that you can learn from flats. It takes more effort with clips to learn good technique than it does with flats, as well as more effort to not learn bad technique.

Oh yes there is. Top three I've seen from teaching and riding

- Having the pedal under your arch and not on the ball of your feet
- Excessively taking off your inside foot during a turn
- Not moving your weight forward enough

So exactly where should you put the balls of your feet on flat pedals? Just in front of the axle?

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:13 Quote
gnarcissistictendency wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:
TheSlayer99 wrote:
You what mate? There is no bad technique that you can learn from flats. It takes more effort with clips to learn good technique than it does with flats, as well as more effort to not learn bad technique.

So exactly where should you put the balls of your feet on flat pedals? Just in front of the axle?

Fig 1: what Nomad's talking about
Fig 2: how I got my user name
Fig 3: my wife riding MTB

photo

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 7:21 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
NorCalNomad wrote:

photo

lol ya I’ve had the misfortune of too far off the back of the pedals before and my shins hated me for weeks after.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 17:30 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:

lol ya I’ve had the misfortune of too far off the back of the pedals before and my shins hated me for weeks after.

I must have picked up 50 stitches or so in my legs (and enough pedal bites for at least 50 more I didn't get put in) before I dropped a full shoe size. Its not discussed I think at all in this thread but stiff soles and tight shoes are super important for riding flats, at least in my book!

Too bad my dumbass 15 year old self didn't understand that back in my BMX days tup

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:17 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:

I must have picked up 50 stitches or so in my legs (and enough pedal bites for at least 50 more I didn't get put in) before I dropped a full shoe size. Its not discussed I think at all in this thread but stiff soles and tight shoes are super important for riding flats, at least in my book!

Too bad my dumbass 15 year old self didn't understand that back in my BMX days tup

Ya I recently switched to freerider pro shoes from the regular skate looking freeriders and the difference is huge! Those shoes paired with TMAC’s are awesome.

O+
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:19 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
HaggeredShins wrote:

Most guys don't know their true brannock sizing anyways and wear shoes that are generally too big.

Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 21:21 Quote
Can anyone shed some light on what the benefits of using a longer spindle on clipless pedals..? I’m specifically talking about the Cbros mallet pedals. They offer normal and long spindle versions. Does having a wider Q-factor help on clipless?

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:53 Quote
Can anyone shed some light on what the benefits of using a longer spindle on clipless pedals..? I’m specifically talking about the Cbros mallet pedals. They offer normal and long spindle versions. Does having a wider Q-factor help on clipless?

I believe its just to adjust for stance width. A lot of clipless pedals seem to pull your feet in closer to the crank than flats would allow and for people with a naturally wide stance, or who prefer it, there's only so much adjustment you can accomplish with pedal washers.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:53 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:

I believe its just to adjust for stance width. A lot of clipless pedals seem to pull your feet in closer to the crank than flats would allow and for people with a naturally wide stance, or who prefer it, there's only so much adjustment you can accomplish with pedal washers.

Cool. I’ve been experimenting with clipless here lately and I own the standard Mallet E pedals. I do notice my heels sometimes rub the chainstay. I’ve ordered the long spindle kit to see if they make much of a difference.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.013937
Mobile Version of Website