2017 Nukeproof Scout 275 Technical questions

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2017 Nukeproof Scout 275 Technical questions
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
hi,

So not knowing much about Mountain bikes (check my name), got a few questions about my bike,
So its built for XC but I was told its aggressive and I could upgrade it for harder trail rides, I cant afford a FS, so I thought the best thing is to upgrade it, however Im stuck on a few things,
the bike is a 2017 Nukeproof Scout 275 Sport, I will put the spec at the end of this.

I have 2 questions,
I want to upgrade the group set to a 1x, but I want the SRAM Nx Eagle 12sp, Will this fit? I know I need a new BB the Dub one, But I'm worried the Cassette wont fit on the wheel, due to it currently being Shimano.

The other question is about upgrading the forks, I want to upgrade the now 100mm to 140mm, but I see people saying it could ruin the geometry of the bike, however there are some people I've seen put 160mm on this same bike and say its fine.

I know this sounds rather stupid, any advice is appreciated, Thanks everyone! Smile

The spec is: Frame: 2017 Scout 27.5" Colour: Red/White. Travel: N/A Frame Material: Custom hydroformed T6 6061 aluminium. Forks: Suntour XCR Air, 100mm, Black. Shock: N/A Headset: Token Integrated 1 1/8" - 1.5" , Black. Handlebars: Non Series 740mm, 15mm Rise, 9deg Back. Stem: Non Series 31.8mm, 6 deg, 60mm, Black. Grips: Nukeproof Element Dual lock-on. Chainset: Shimano M3000 40-30-22t, 170mm Silver. Chain: KMC HG53, 9 speed. Cassette: Shimano HG200 - 9 speed, 11-34t. Shifters: Shimano Acera M3000, 3/9 speed. Rear derailleur: Shimano Alivio M4000 9 speed, shadow Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera M3000, 3 speed, Dual Pull. Chain Device: N/A Brakes: Tektro M290 Hydraulic. 160mm. Rotors: Tekro TR160, 160mm. Saddle: Nukeproof Trail, Black. Seatpost: Non Series 31.6mm, 400mm. Tyre Front: WTB Nano 27.5" x2.1 Comp. Tyre Rear: WTB Nano 27.5" x2.1 Comp. Wheels: Comprising Of. Rims: WTB SX19, 27.5" 32h, Black. Hubs: Novatec D462SB/341RCC, Black.

Posted: Jun 22, 2020 at 7:59 Quote
First off the Novatec rear hub is a pretty decent hub and has a standard Shimano spline freehub so it will be compatible with Sram NX Eagle 12 speed cassette.

You will also need the equivalent crankset to suit your rear frame standard dropout spacing (Boost 148mm or non Boost 142mm) for optimum chainline but it will all fit on your bike.

It's classed as an XC bike because it has a 3x9 drivetrain and only 100mm of travel.

Taking the fork travel from 100 to 140mm will obviously raise the front end by 40mm and slacken the head angle by 2 degrees (1 degree per 20mm of travel) and making it 1x would turn it into an aggressive hardtail.

These changes will make bike better for descending but less efficient on climbs.

If climbing becomes tricky after you add the 140mm travel forks there are various ways to make it better, re-ordering the stem and spacers to make handlebars lower or replacing for lower rise handlebars for example.

If you have heard of someone fitting the same bike with 160mm of travel without front end wandering on climbs then you should be fine with the rest of the slight geometry changes.

Not advised on new bikes and voids warranties because manufacturer cannot guarantee that the frame is going to be strong enough to handle the slacker head angle caused by upping the travel but as it's a 2017 model I assume it's not an issue for you.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:17 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
First off the Novatec rear hub is a pretty decent hub and has a standard Shimano spline freehub so it will be compatible with Sram NX Eagle 12 speed cassette.

You will also need the equivalent crankset to suit your rear frame standard dropout spacing (Boost 148mm or non Boost 142mm) for optimum chainline but it will all fit on your bike.

It's classed as an XC bike because it has a 3x9 drivetrain and only 100mm of travel.

Taking the fork travel from 100 to 140mm will obviously raise the front end by 40mm and slacken the head angle by 2 degrees (1 degree per 20mm of travel) and making it 1x would turn it into an aggressive hardtail.

These changes will make bike better for descending but less efficient on climbs.

If climbing becomes tricky after you add the 140mm travel forks there are various ways to make it better, re-ordering the stem and spacers to make handlebars lower or replacing for lower rise handlebars for example.

If you have heard of someone fitting the same bike with 160mm of travel without front end wandering on climbs then you should be fine with the rest of the slight geometry changes.

Not advised on new bikes and voids warranties because manufacturer cannot guarantee that the frame is going to be strong enough to handle the slacker head angle caused by upping the travel but as it's a 2017 model I assume it's not an issue for you.

Hey man,
Really appreciate the help, sorry about the late reply,

Just to be quick,

This would fit the bike then: https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/sram-nx-eagle-1x12sp-mtb-groupset-dub/rp-prod172474 I know Id need the 170mm Kit

Cheers!

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:15 Quote
Yes! Smile The NX Eagle cassette will fit on your current rear wheel.

The crankset is non Boost with a 49mm chainline and and is suitable for non Boost 142x12 thru axle but it's not on the spec. provided so I checked rear spacing on this site linked below so if you just double check it's the same bike as yours, all good to go:-

https://m.startfitness.co.uk/nukeproof-2017-scout-275-sport-hardtail-mtb-red-53108.html

As for upgrading your forks, as it is now you will need a tapered steerer tube and quick release dropouts which are available but not many options.

To improve your choices you may want to think about replacing your front wheel to one that has either Boost or non Boost thru axle hubs of which there are a lot more higher travel fork options to choose from!

Happy trails Pal! Wink

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005081
Mobile Version of Website