A sort of dumb question...

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
A sort of dumb question...
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 17:51 Quote
I've got a 4 year old Scott Contessa Genius I love. It's got a few minor scrapes, nothing serious on it so far. The other day, someone I won't name (cough cough husband cough cough) leaned it against the car at just the right spot to take a chunk of paint off part of the swing arm (right word? IDK, not a gear head). My bike is aluminum so I'm guessing I don't need to worry too much about rust, but the chunk is about 3 inches at most, so its pretty significant. I'm wondering if I need to do anything or if it will be ok just as it is? I know this is a sort of dumb question, but I'm not good at the technical stuff and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something that would cause issues later. Thanks!

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
This is the great thing about alloy bikes... you don't need to worry about it.

But depending on how particular you are, you could touch it up with pretty much any metal paint.... or put a sticker over it. I would just leave it, I dig scars.

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
You should strip all paint off the entire frame ... because raw frames look cool Wink

But seriously, cmcrawfo is correct, it's fine. Aluminum doesn't rust like steel, so no further damage will occur. If you want to touch up the paint, you could use automotive touch-up paint or even nail polish (try to find one that isn't fast-drying, as they're usually a bit tougher).

Posted: Jun 24, 2020 at 22:40 Quote
Awesome, thank you both for replying!!! I don't mind the scars so I'll probably just leave it as it is Smile

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 1:38 Quote
I'm a fan of stickers.

Great thing about aluminum - the oxide layer is a LOT more durable, resistant to heat, etc. as the bare metal. It'll have slightly-reduced qualities in toughness, ductility, and probably go from silver to kinda white-ish.....but if you're not drilling speed-holes in the local area, it shouldn't make a bit of difference. It's a surface event, not anything crazy!

Beat the crap out of 'er! Worst case ontario, you find another frame. Swap parts. Ride.

Posted: Jun 26, 2020 at 18:00 Quote
dood wrote:
I'm a fan of stickers.

Great thing about aluminum - the oxide layer is a LOT more durable, resistant to heat, etc. as the bare metal. It'll have slightly-reduced qualities in toughness, ductility, and probably go from silver to kinda white-ish.....but if you're not drilling speed-holes in the local area, it shouldn't make a bit of difference. It's a surface event, not anything crazy!

Beat the crap out of 'er! Worst case ontario, you find another frame. Swap parts. Ride.

Thank you!

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 0:15 Quote
ABP wrote:
dood wrote:
I'm a fan of stickers.

Thank you!

No prob. I'm on a TWENTY year-old frame, laced with the most ridiculous bits money could ever buy, and it's not going anywhere.

Turns out, engi-nerds know what they're doing. Razz

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:22 Quote
ABP wrote:
I've got a 4 year old Scott Contessa Genius I love. It's got a few minor scrapes, nothing serious on it so far. The other day, someone I won't name (cough cough husband cough cough) leaned it against the car at just the right spot to take a chunk of paint off part of the swing arm (right word? IDK, not a gear head). My bike is aluminum so I'm guessing I don't need to worry too much about rust, but the chunk is about 3 inches at most, so its pretty significant. I'm wondering if I need to do anything or if it will be ok just as it is? I know this is a sort of dumb question, but I'm not good at the technical stuff and wanted to make sure I didn't miss something that would cause issues later. Thanks!

Nah, should be fine. Maybe post a picture of damage to double check and maybe get some additional ideas to cover the damage Smile

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:56 Quote
I'm just gonna shut my big dumb face from here.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004981
Mobile Version of Website