BBD....

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 11:55 Quote
Bought a 2nd hand frame due to an ongoing warranty ****show with Canyon.

Its a 2018 Cube stereo 140 HPC TM 27.5.

My raceface turbine cranks off the Canyon have a spindle width of 30mm so don't fit into the Sram Pressfit GXP pa+gf BB which is 24mm.

My question is whats the most affordable way around this? I can't find the BB shell size for the cube stereo online so not sure of the raceface 30mm cinch BB on my canyon will fit into the Cube BB shell.

I've read online that squeezing a 30mm BB into a small frame can leave little room for decent bearing space.

Am I better off buying new 24mm cranks?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 16:49 Quote
I tried finding the specs on that bike also and couldn’t find the bb shell width but It’s very likely standard. You can very simply purchase a Pressfit bottom bracket with a 30mm ID. Race face makes them and they work fine. Some people complain they wear out too fast, but just keep the bearings greased and they are fine.
Now, you need to make sure the spindle on your cranks is long enough, which it likely is fine.
Do you have the Cube frame on hand that you can measure bb shell width?

Posted: Jun 29, 2020 at 19:16 Quote
Are any modern threaded bottom brackets not standard? I haven't noticed any trail bikes that use anything other than 73mm, so even the spacers should be the same but you can measure the width of the bb just to be sure.

I would just swap the bb over and not overthink it. Yes 30mm bearings will wear out a little faster but not enough so that they're not worth having. All of the premium cranksets from RF are 30 mm.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 2:22 Quote
*Sigh*

if it didn't sound like such a GD abomination to begin with........

Did you contact the MFG for true dimensions? Have a set of calipers? If so, get to it. Research.

If not, put that POS up for sale and get something you can stand behind. The INSTANT that simple parts are an issue....why the F(*&^ would you want to own it?

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 2:53 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
I tried finding the specs on that bike also and couldn’t find the bb shell width but It’s very likely standard. You can very simply purchase a Pressfit bottom bracket with a 30mm ID. Race face makes them and they work fine. Some people complain they wear out too fast, but just keep the bearings greased and they are fine.
Now, you need to make sure the spindle on your cranks is long enough, which it likely is fine.
Do you have the Cube frame on hand that you can measure bb shell width?

Will check this evening after work.
Thanks for info

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005223
Mobile Version of Website