2020 Sight A2 vs Range A1

PB Forum :: Norco
2020 Sight A2 vs Range A1
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 30, 2020 at 7:42 Quote
Hi good people of Pink Bike.

I'm looking to replace my Giant Trance with one of these and would like your suggestions.

Initially, I was only considering the Sight but then I thought this will be my only mtb and I'd like something I could use occasionally in the Whistler bike park, whilst mainly being used on the North Shore, which brought the Range into consideration.

As I don't really do any shuttling, I pedal up both steep/technical climbs (think IMBY on Eagle Mt, if you know it) and fire roads (Fromme, Burke Mt), so it needs to be a decent climber. Is the Range a good option or is it too compromised on the climbs?

I imagine it's a better climber, but would the Sight handle the bike park steep/tech?

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 14:33 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:

I'm looking to replace my Giant Trance with one of these and would like your suggestions.

Initially, I was only considering the Sight but then I thought this will be my only mtb and I'd like something I could use occasionally in the Whistler bike park, whilst mainly being used on the North Shore, which brought the Range into consideration.

As I don't really do any shuttling, I pedal up both steep/technical climbs (think IMBY on Eagle Mt, if you know it) and fire roads (Fromme, Burke Mt), so it needs to be a decent climber. Is the Range a good option or is it too compromised on the climbs?

I imagine it's a better climber, but would the Sight handle the bike park steep/tech?

the Sight is an All-Mountain bike, whereas the range is an enduro Rig.
Sight - less park more pedaling, 60% down 40% up. in the name, All-Mountain - quite long and slack too so will go down great too.
Range - More park, less pedaling, 75% down 25% up - there is also no compression adj on the shock so it might bob a little, typical RANGE it will be really good going down.

Range also comes with Maxxgrip tire which is more for downhill.

Im in the market for more a new trail/AM and the sight is on my list.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:

I just bought a 2020 A2 Sight. It climbs well but I would appreciate a climb assist switch on the rear shock. But it is very manageable. On the down. This bike is so much better then my 2 last Trek Remedy. It is just a slayer.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 18:26 Quote
shockwave wrote:

I just bought a 2020 A2 Sight. It climbs well but I would appreciate a climb assist switch on the rear shock. But it is very manageable. On the down. This bike is so much better then my 2 last Trek Remedy. It is just a slayer.

It should be, its much slacker and longer, and the range is better again, they are not the most nimble bike though.
The remedy is agile and is probably faster to the bottom in the end. really takes more skill.

My 2019 c2 range is similar to my slash, just an absolute tank/plow, but is much heavier, no steep seat angle fixes the weight.

in all honesty, the Sight is probably the better choice for you but wouldnt go bashing it down the park often due to being not as "burly built"

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 19:51 Quote
shockwave wrote:
Doomrider74 wrote:

I was actually going to buy a Sight A2 but apparently they are all sold out now and I have to wait for the 2021s to come out. It sounds like they'll be releasing a new Range as well so it'll be interesting to see what comes out in the next few months.

O+
Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 19:54 Quote
I ride a 2018 Range A1 in the same area (Burke, Eagle) and I like to climb just as much descend. I'm very happy with the Range in both directions. Overall I don't feel it is holding me back at all on any of the climbs (even IMBY), or if there are any limitations I've adapted to them just fine.

From what I understand Norco redeveloped the Sight for 2020, but didn't change the Range much. I'm no geometry expert, but the 2020 Sight looks even slacker than the 2020 Range (63.5 on the Sight vs 64.5). I was told that the 2020 Sight is much closer to the 2018 Range with better climbing ability. Right now, if I'd buy a bike I'd be looking at the 2020 Sight over the Range.

The one big thing on my 2018 Range that I found impacted my climbing was the rear hub, it was a Sram MTH 746 and it was lacking in engagement. I didn't realize this until it died and I replaced it with a better hub. This had a big impact on the technical climbs. The Sight A2 has a DT Swiss 370 rear hub which I understand is decent hub - but that is something I'd look into more if you are into climbing. The other thing that sticks out to me is the NX Eagle on the A2. The Sight A1 has improvements in both of those areas (DT Swiss 350 and GX) - while the Range A1 is similar to the Sight A2 in these components.

I'd likely bite the bullet and get the A1 Sight.

Posted: Jul 6, 2020 at 22:15 Quote
atomicspike wrote:
I ride a 2018 Range A1 in the same area (Burke, Eagle) and I like to climb just as much descend. I'm very happy with the Range in both directions. Overall I don't feel it is holding me back at all on any of the climbs (even IMBY), or if there are any limitations I've adapted to them just fine.

From what I understand Norco redeveloped the Sight for 2020, but didn't change the Range much. I'm no geometry expert, but the 2020 Sight looks even slacker than the 2020 Range (63.5 on the Sight vs 64.5). I was told that the 2020 Sight is much closer to the 2018 Range with better climbing ability. Right now, if I'd buy a bike I'd be looking at the 2020 Sight over the Range.

The one big thing on my 2018 Range that I found impacted my climbing was the rear hub, it was a Sram MTH 746 and it was lacking in engagement. I didn't realize this until it died and I replaced it with a better hub. This had a big impact on the technical climbs. The Sight A2 has a DT Swiss 370 rear hub which I understand is decent hub - but that is something I'd look into more if you are into climbing. The other thing that sticks out to me is the NX Eagle on the A2. The Sight A1 has improvements in both of those areas (DT Swiss 350 and GX) - while the Range A1 is similar to the Sight A2 in these components.

I'd likely bite the bullet and get the A1 Sight.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't want to spend A1 money. Anyway, they're all sold out, so it's a moot point. Let's see what spec changes there are on the 2021 models.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 4:00 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:
shockwave wrote:
Doomrider74 wrote:

I was actually going to buy a Sight A2 but apparently they are all sold out now and I have to wait for the 2021s to come out. It sounds like they'll be releasing a new Range as well so it'll be interesting to see what comes out in the next few months.

I dont know where you are from but UBAC (bike shop) in Québec still have sone in stores.

Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 7:41 Quote
shockwave wrote:
Doomrider74 wrote:
shockwave wrote:

I dont know where you are from but UBAC (bike shop) in Québec still have sone in stores.

Vancouver. Shops are telling me Norco are all sold out, and they are sold out, and they won't be getting any more until the 2021 release. I've put my name down for an A2 (or equivalent, if they change the naming) when they are available.

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 7:06 Quote
So, the 2021s are out, but the A2 has a 500 buck price increase. I wonder if the A3 is worth looking at....

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 15:24 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:
So, the 2021s are out, but the A2 has a 500 buck price increase. I wonder if the A3 is worth looking at....

I know im late to the punch here, but i was speaking to my LBS (which just happens to be next door to Norco HQ.. not literally, but is the closest)

Young buck there told me that the A3 is not worth the buy if you've got a few seasons under your belt.
Great if you don't know what you're doing, ie- wont notice brake fade or know roughly how to dial in HSC/LSC, wont notice if their air shock is starting to 'pack-up' from heat cycling

Anyone who knows what they are looking for in a ride will end up upgrading components pretty quickly.

I considered this as well, considering the biggest ticket is the frame geometry.. you can always upgrade forks/shock/brakes over time, but it'll end up costing far more in the long run that just getting an A2/A1 which is pretty dialed in from the factory.

Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
Doomrider74 wrote:

I know im late to the punch here, but i was speaking to my LBS (which just happens to be next door to Norco HQ.. not literally, but is the closest)

Young buck there told me that the A3 is not worth the buy if you've got a few seasons under your belt.
Great if you don't know what you're doing, ie- wont notice brake fade or know roughly how to dial in HSC/LSC, wont notice if their air shock is starting to 'pack-up' from heat cycling

Anyone who knows what they are looking for in a ride will end up upgrading components pretty quickly.

I considered this as well, considering the biggest ticket is the frame geometry.. you can always upgrade forks/shock/brakes over time, but it'll end up costing far more in the long run that just getting an A2/A1 which is pretty dialed in from the factory.

It wasn't Kinetik was it? The guy in there said the same thing to me.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 8, 2020 at 22:06 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:

Yeah, it was.
I mean the you *could* take that with a grain of salt but I respected just how much knowledge this dude had and that he didn’t even try and up sell to the A1.
Basically said the A2 is the best bang for buck even over the 2020.

He told me the $500 price hike is well justified, almost solely for the lockout alone ($200 in parts to the X2 fitted to the 2020 From my own research... more if you can’t DIY it.)

Posted: Sep 12, 2020 at 19:23 Quote
Dwarfmarine wrote:
Doomrider74 wrote:

Yeah, it was.
I mean the you *could* take that with a grain of salt but I respected just how much knowledge this dude had and that he didn’t even try and up sell to the A1.
Basically said the A2 is the best bang for buck even over the 2020.

He told me the $500 price hike is well justified, almost solely for the lockout alone ($200 in parts to the X2 fitted to the 2020 From my own research... more if you can’t DIY it.)

Sounds like I had exactly the same conversation with him as you did Big Grin

Although i was a bit pissed about the price increase, I can see where the money went, especially as international exchange rates aren't what they were.

Having spent some time riding the bike now i can say there's very little I can complain about: Sure, the dropper post is fairly low-level but it works find and I'll just replace it with a One Up when it breaks. I tend to prefer functional kit rather than blingy kit anyway. That's why I've always liked the SLX groupo.

O+ FL
Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
Doomrider74 wrote:
Sounds like I had exactly the same conversation with him as you did Big Grin

Although i was a bit pissed about the price increase, I can see where the money went, especially as international exchange rates aren't what they were.

Having spent some time riding the bike now i can say there's very little I can complain about: Sure, the dropper post is fairly low-level but it works find and I'll just replace it with a One Up when it breaks. I tend to prefer functional kit rather than blingy kit anyway. That's why I've always liked the SLX groupo.

I got lucky enough to get my hands on a 2020 A2 over the weekend (Which TBH just leaves more $$ for some upgrades like the Grip2 damper and the lockout conversion for the X2)

Having ridden friends bikes on SRAM and not being impressed, I'm actually super impressed with the Code R anchors and even the NX derailleur.. Shifts are silent and snappy and i didn't manage to lock up the brakes at all on my absolutely flying test runs on Bobsled on the way home, so decent modulation!

The TranX Droppers have really increased in performance over the last few years and even more so now that they are available to the public.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010992
Mobile Version of Website