Shimano Octalink

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 1, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
I recently purchased a Scott 960 and I would like to switch the crankset from a 3x9 to a 1x9. Can anyone here give me an idea of what I should purchase?

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 4:19 Quote
jmmerchant wrote:
I recently purchased a Scott 960 and I would like to switch the crankset from a 3x9 to a 1x9. Can anyone here give me an idea of what I should purchase?
A 1x crank non boost and a new bottom bracket, would be wise really to change to a new cassette and chain too so you might as well go 11 speed. If you wanted 12 speed you would need a new rear hub or at least freewheel.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
It depends on how much you want to spend and how much range you need. Some guys ride single speed bikes, and I have a 3x9 (44/32/22x11-32) that I only use the middle chainring for off-road riding. For roads, 32t x 11 is geared too low, but 44 x 11-24 (smallest 7 cogs) is perfect. So take off your front derailleur, shifter, cable, and big and small chainrings and you are done, maybe saved 1 lb. For better results, replace your middle chainring with a NW or oval designed for 1X. Ride around using only your middle chainring. If you need lower gears, get a 28t NW. I run a 36t on my 1x10.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:53 Quote
JMMERCHANT, I saw from your profile you are from LSU land which is flat and at sea level so you don’t need granny gears. I bought my 36t chainring for $15 several years ago and it still works great. My 1x10 bike came with a RaceFace 32 and 11-40 cassette. I never used 40 and needed higher gears, the 36t works great.

I have no desire to change my 3x9 bike to a 1x. The weight savings are negligible and I need the big ring for roads. A NW chainring does a better job of preventing dropped chains, but my 3x9 chain stays on the middle chainring on the bumpy trails with no issues.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:56 Quote
Some cranks require the outer chainring to hold the middle in place. Using only the outer will not give the ideal chainline a true 1x crank does. It is normally not recommended to cross the chain that much. Also 1x by chainrings are profiled to keep the chain on.
I would just purchase a cheap 1 x 10 or 1 x 11 setup. 1 x 9 is a bit of a bodge job.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:31 Quote
He could keep his big chainring on as a bash ring and just get a 30t NW chainring. Then if he wanted to ride on roads, manually move the chain to the big chainring and go fast! I would rather just keep the 3x9 if it works, but if it were broken, then it may be cheaper to convert to a 1x.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
DonLopez wrote:
JMMERCHANT, I saw from your profile you are from LSU land which is flat and at sea level so you don’t need granny gears. I bought my 36t chainring for $15 several years ago and it still works great. My 1x10 bike came with a RaceFace 32 and 11-40 cassette. I never used 40 and needed higher gears, the 36t works great.

I have no desire to change my 3x9 bike to a 1x. The weight savings are negligible and I need the big ring for roads. A NW chainring does a better job of preventing dropped chains, but my 3x9 chain stays on the middle chainring on the bumpy trails with no issues.

Yes, I am from the land of the National Champions! I spent a lot of time in Pcola back in the late 90’s. Gulf Breeze is a place I would like to eventually move to.

I want to thank all if you guys for the information. I have a better idea of the direction I will move in.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004984
Mobile Version of Website