Dropper Post Cable Change Out

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Dropper Post Cable Change Out
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 6:31 Quote
Hi Folks,

Looking for advice on changing my dropper post cable. Possibly has been covered before but couldn't spot this issue after a quick search.

Bike: Vitus Sommet 2018
Dropper: Brand-X Ascend 150 mm

Issue: Dropper has become stuck and only extends about 5 cm. i can pull the seat up and extend the dropper to full extension but as you can imagine this is less than ideal especially on technical climbs.

I have inspected the cable to check for snags etc. Due to the routing of the cable around the shock mount, the outer cable has worn through to the inner cable. I'd imagine this is causing the issue with the dropper.

Chain Reactions are sold out of replacement cables at the minute.

I have an unused inner and outer rear derailleur cable which are both long enough to be routed along the same path as the current dropper post cable. Can I use these to replace the old inner and outer cables? Alternatively, can I use the new outer cable with the old inner cable?

I will see if I can reroute the cable to ensure it does not become worn and cause this issue again.

Any advice or past experience with this issue would be most welcome.

Thanks, AnnavernaGoat

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 7:54 Quote
Yes, you can use a shifter cable and housing. No need for a dropper specific cable. It is generally suggested you replace both at the same time, any dirt or grime that gets inside will degrade the performance. Just start fresh.

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004330
Mobile Version of Website