12 speed Shimano chainring with a 11 speed Sram chain.

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
12 speed Shimano chainring with a 11 speed Sram chain.
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 8:07 Quote
As title says - anyone had experience with a 11 speed sram chain on the new shimano chainring.

In the market for new cranks and the new Xt's are amazing value. Just don't want to go full 12 speed. (my currenty drivetrain is a bodge of sram cassete and slx shifter and mech)

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 2:43 Quote
Davebob wrote:
As title says - anyone had experience with a 11 speed sram chain on the new shimano chainring.

In the market for new cranks and the new Xt's are amazing value. Just don't want to go full 12 speed. (my currenty drivetrain is a bodge of sram cassete and slx shifter and mech)
It will probably fit, but won't be optimal - Shimano 12-speed is designed to be compatible with itself only (12-speed chain is narrower than 11-speed, some special DCE sh*t is going on etc... Big Grin
Why not buying 11-speed XT? Its probably cheaper these days...

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 2:50 Quote
onyxss wrote:
Davebob wrote:
As title says - anyone had experience with a 11 speed sram chain on the new shimano chainring.

In the market for new cranks and the new Xt's are amazing value. Just don't want to go full 12 speed. (my currenty drivetrain is a bodge of sram cassete and slx shifter and mech)
It will probably fit, but won't be optimal - Shimano 12-speed is designed to be compatible with itself only (12-speed chain is narrower than 11-speed, some special DCE sh*t is going on etc... Big Grin
Why not buying 11-speed XT? Its probably cheaper these days...

Ended up with the new XT cranks, read on other forums that people have tried and it doesn't matter.

Old xt is heavier and very hard to find online now in 165mm crank sizes of a 52mm offset. Only £20 more expesive as well so I thought "f*ck it" Big Grin

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 18:12 Quote
Davebob wrote:
onyxss wrote:
Davebob wrote:
As title says - anyone had experience with a 11 speed sram chain on the new shimano chainring.

In the market for new cranks and the new Xt's are amazing value. Just don't want to go full 12 speed. (my currenty drivetrain is a bodge of sram cassete and slx shifter and mech)
It will probably fit, but won't be optimal - Shimano 12-speed is designed to be compatible with itself only (12-speed chain is narrower than 11-speed, some special DCE sh*t is going on etc... Big Grin
Why not buying 11-speed XT? Its probably cheaper these days...

Ended up with the new XT cranks, read on other forums that people have tried and it doesn't matter.

Old xt is heavier and very hard to find online now in 165mm crank sizes of a 52mm offset. Only £20 more expesive as well so I thought "f*ck it" Big Grin

The chainring likely won’t hold the chain as snug as the 12sp Shimano chain it’s designed for, wether or not it makes a difference, you will have to let us know after a season of riding.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004543
Mobile Version of Website