Garmin 830 map query

PB Forum :: Trailforks Feedback
Garmin 830 map query
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 2, 2020 at 16:11 Quote
Hi everybody,

This is my first post here, so greetings to you all.

I'm a happy Trailforks user, both on mobile (Android) and Web.

Recently I decided I would stop using my Wahoo Roam cycling computer on my trail bike and buy a Garmin 830 given that it's much more suited to MTB, but the main reason really was that it had Trailforks built in. Whilst out riding at places which aren't considered my local tracks, I would repeatedly need to stop, pull the phone out of the bag, take the glove off so I could navigate the phone, quite annoying and if there was a bike computer that had Trailforks builtin then why not right? I did think about stem mounting my phone, but for the style of riding i do, it's not a great option.

Anyway, so I bought the 830 and it's great.

I've noticed that the maps that are in this inbuilt version of Trailforks, is not the same as the maps on the Trailforks app on my mobile app or web. For example, this weekend we're heading out to Kersbrook, north of Adelaide, South Australia. When comparing the 830 maps to both the Mobile app maps or web maps, they are really different and from what I can tell, the maps used in the 830, could be very old maps. The Mobile and Web versions show all the tracks nicely. An example would be Happy Trails track, this used to be called Thunder Alley and is called that in the 830, and Happy Trails everywhere else. It's not the naming used which is the concern, it's that there are a lot of trails missing in the 830 version. Another example is around Ando's, Brownhill Creek. The 830 maps still show the Cories and Brownies tracks, while the mobile and web versions don't show it anymore (these tracks have been shutdown as they're on private property). I've done a lot of checking around the area comparing the 830 to the mobile and web versions. It seems that the 830 is hit and miss with details missing a lot of tracks which are there in the mobile and web versions.

I am wondering if there is something I am missing, or if anyone has got details about the differences? I've done a lot of investigations but come to a dead end. Running the latest version 8.5 on the Garmin, with updated versions of Connect IQ and Trailforks app.

If there is a process which needs handling etc, I am happy to donate time to the cause.

I'd be happy with building and installing a custom map if that is the easiest solution.

Thank you

Matt

Mod O+ FL
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 9:24 Quote
It could be that there has just been a bunch of recent additions or edits to the trails in that region and the Garmin map isn't updated. Garmin only updates the Trailforks map 2 or 3 times a year.

However things are getting much more mapped out on Trailforks for Mountain bike, so it shouldn't be a big issue into the future.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007110
Mobile Version of Website