Looking for a full sus, Less than $500

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Looking for a full sus, Less than $500
Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 15:06 Quote
500 isn't super realistic, to be honest well, frankly, it's close to impossible for something that's good, stolen full sus bikes will be sold for cheap here and there, but do you wanna undergo the risk of being charged with buying stolen items? assuming you are a more experienced rider, why don't you ride a cheaper disposable bike while you let her ride the nicer stuff? it would give her a much nicer experience to let her ride that, and it would give you a lot more chances at success. be nice to your girlfriend, if she does decide mtb is for her it will definitely pay off for you.
best of luck

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 15:19 Quote
PowderHound6 wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
Best way to get someone hooked on MTB is to get them a super shitty bike.

You should also give her your old gear, especially if it doesn’t really fit her.

Much success will be had.

Interesting, please explain

explanation here

The reality is you probably aren't going to find what you're looking for at this price point and its no doubt true as stated, biking isn't fun on a junker. There is some truth to experiencing gear that isn't great and especially learning on a hardtail--both will make you a better rider and provide context for an appreciation of things--but that's not for the long run for most people.

Invest this money into a couple rentals and see if she likes MTB first--you're a lot better off doing this than pretty much guaranteeing a bad experience shooting for the used stuff under the bottom of the barrel.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 15:52 Quote
Technically there is loads of womens bikes with suspension under 500 dollars that your misses will be non the wiser. Yes by Pinkbike forum member standards they are pos chinese junk but the question is why have you joined Pinkbike to ask about Walmart bikes, what sort of answer are you looking for? No one on this forum will give you an honest opinion or probably even has much experience of low end bicycles. At least if you did some research and put more effort and info into your initial question you may have got a less jerkish response. You've basically come on a Rolls Royce forum asking what is the best Kia under 5000 dollars.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 17:16 Quote
PowderHound6 wrote:
Lol you’re funny. I’m 20, I have a Marin I ride but I’m trying to buy for my girlfriend and she’s just getting into riding.

get her a hardtail, you';re not helping her at all by buying her a POS full sus. even if it was a 5,000 she should start a hardtail anyways.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2596401/
or some other bike. dj, hardtail, something with only a fork, I'd rec going with an xc oriented hardtail for her to start on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EroQ-friE7o
start at 1:35 or watch the whole video,

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 17:18 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
PowderHound6 wrote:
cmcrawfo wrote:
Best way to get someone hooked on MTB is to get them a super shitty bike.

You should also give her your old gear, especially if it doesn’t really fit her.

Much success will be had.

Interesting, please explain

explanation here

The reality is you probably aren't going to find what you're looking for at this price point and its no doubt true as stated, biking isn't fun on a junker. There is some truth to experiencing gear that isn't great and especially learning on a hardtail--both will make you a better rider and provide context for an appreciation of things--but that's not for the long run for most people.

Invest this money into a couple rentals and see if she likes MTB first--you're a lot better off doing this than pretty much guaranteeing a bad experience shooting for the used stuff under the bottom of the barrel.

100%

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 17:21 Quote
I bought a Kona entourage used here for 550 it was okay but under spring for my weight so I sold it cause I want to try something with updated geometry and specs(29” wheels)

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 20:51 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
Technically there is loads of womens bikes with suspension under 500 dollars that your misses will be non the wiser. Yes by Pinkbike forum member standards they are pos chinese junk but the question is why have you joined Pinkbike to ask about Walmart bikes, what sort of answer are you looking for? No one on this forum will give you an honest opinion or probably even has much experience of low end bicycles. At least if you did some research and put more effort and info into your initial question you may have got a less jerkish response. You've basically come on a Rolls Royce forum asking what is the best Kia under 5000 dollars.
I joined PinkBike because I like to ride. I did my research lol just going at it bro. It’s an open forum and people can discuss whatever they would like. Not too sure why you even left a comment but Haha I appreciate it though

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 20:53 Quote
MTBrandonLee wrote:
PowderHound6 wrote:
Lol you’re funny. I’m 20, I have a Marin I ride but I’m trying to buy for my girlfriend and she’s just getting into riding.

get her a hardtail, you';re not helping her at all by buying her a POS full sus. even if it was a 5,000 she should start a hardtail anyways.

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2596401/
or some other bike. dj, hardtail, something with only a fork, I'd rec going with an xc oriented hardtail for her to start on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EroQ-friE7o
start at 1:35 or watch the whole video,

Very interesting and a big help, I appreciate it!!

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 21:04 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:

Looking back, I was too nice to this guy. His assumptions were incorrect, I’ve done my research, and “frankly” no one asked about jerking responses or for another. Guy lives in the U.K. so he probably just needs to find a rope lol. Everyone love everyone or gtfo

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 21:07 Quote
PowderHound6 wrote:
Danzzz88 wrote:

Looking back, I was too nice to this guy. His assumptions were incorrect, I’ve done my research, and “frankly” no one asked about jerky responses or for another.
Guy lives in the U.K. so he probably should remain quiet lol. This guy totally misses what biking is all about. Everybody love everybody and enjoy the ride!

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 21:31 Quote
Relax man, he's not incorrect. You're going to have a very, very hard time finding a real bike even remotely representative of the past 5-10 years advancement in five hundred bucks. The answer isn't what you wanted, but it's not wrong, and frankly I hope you realize it's a bit expected people are going to get a little rise out of what you asked. If not, now you know why, take it in stride

You've been given good and realistic advice. What you choose to do with it is up to you. Good luck on your search and keep your eyes on Craigslist!

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 at 22:52 Quote
HaggeredShins wrote:
Relax man, he's not incorrect. You're going to have a very, very hard time finding a real bike even remotely representative of the past 5-10 years advancement in five hundred bucks. The answer isn't what you wanted, but it's not wrong, and frankly I hope you realize it's a bit expected people are going to get a little rise out of what you asked. If not, now you know why, take it in stride

You've been given good and realistic advice. What you choose to do with it is up to you. Good luck on your search and keep your eyes on Craigslist!

I’m chill but honestly like the rise lol forums should definitely have some back and forth. Kind of scared of Craigslist but I’ll check it out for sure

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 4:37 Quote
PowderHound6 wrote:
Anybody?

^This is the reason the thread got off to a bad start, I was just trying to get more info out of you and give you some advice rather than sarcasm and one word answers like you were getting. But you seem to think British people should find a rope, maybe continue a life of sarcasm and falseness you guys seem fond of over there. Us British don't beat about the bush, we say it as it is, if you rather have a conversation in riddles, sarcasm and gaining completely zero information and come here just for banter then that's up to you.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:43 Quote
For the record, I was only here for the Sarcasm.

And the lolz

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 5:44 Quote
Also,

You guys should get some profile pics.

You all look the same

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.025622
Mobile Version of Website