Mullet Hardtail

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 17:52 Quote
Anyone have an opinion on mullet hardtails? I Chucked a 27.5 rear wheel on my Torrent and went for a little pedal, the head angle felt quite a bit slacker, and noticed the BB was lower, so I assume it would corner a little better. Sold the bike that was using the 27.5 wheel, so I'm thinking of maybe building a rear wheel and occasionally riding the bike with a mullet setup. Thoughts?

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 22:42 Quote
As long as the bb isn't too low it should be fine in a straight line but I'd expect you'll find a lack of grip in flat corners, basically the same thing that typically happens when you over fork a bike by more than 10mm

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 7:27 Quote
Ι've mulleted my ht for a short while, gone from 130mm 27.5" fork to 120mm 29". The front end was too high for my liking, but there were some advantages from the wheel combo that I appreciated.

You are doing the opposite though, not sure what you are trying to achieve... A more flickable rear?
The Torrent has a high bb to start with so it could work.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 8:14 Quote
Might not be a terrible idea. It would make the head angle very slack but as long as it doesn’t make the steering flip floppy then that’s no big deal. Like above said the bb is pretty high on those so shouldn’t do any harm in that department. You could always lower the travel up front if the steering seemed off to compensate.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 11:00 Quote
For the cost of a wheel, why not? It should help with acceleration and maybe make the bike a bit more playful. If you like it, you can always tinker with lowering the fork as Dav says and things like anglesets and reach adjust headsets.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005796
Mobile Version of Website