Replace drive train instead of just cassette

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Replace drive train instead of just cassette
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 18:27 Quote
Currently have a jeffsy with 11 speed deore drive train and an e 13 cassette. Cassette is trashed and I need a new one. A cassette is like 220. A new drive train is significantly more I know but would it be s great investment to upgrade or should I just go the cassette route.

I'll apologize a head of time for the ramblely question

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 19:12 Quote
if your cassette is that worn, you likely need replace your chain as well.

everything else is up to you.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 19:16 Quote
Yeah I knew the chain would be a part of that. I mean will I see significant upgrade from deore. I'm spending money now so its buy once cry once. Idk how much better something can be but I know they can be worse

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 19:20 Quote
Thatfield1 wrote:
Yeah I knew the chain would be a part of that. I mean will I see significant upgrade from deore. I'm spending money now so its buy once cry once. Idk how much better something can be but I know they can be worse

a huge part of the shifting technology is in the chain and cassette. there is also a significant weight savings in higher end cassettes. those are the areas to spend money on (IMO).

granted there are weight , adjust-ability, and some tactile benefits to higher end groups....really depends on what kind of gains you are looking for.

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 at 23:54 Quote
Does deore 11 speed have a clutch on the derailleur? It doesn't look like it from the pictures.

I started riding on slx 10 speed about 6 years ago and can't fathom how people even rode bikes downhill before clutch derailleurs.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 3:03 Quote
Personally I'm very tempted to try the Microshift Advent X 10 speed drivetrain when my Eagle cassette wears out. The whole drivetrain comes in at only slightly more than a GX cassette. Not far off the same range, lighter, easier to set up and far cheaper to replace when things wear out.

Posted: Jul 5, 2020 at 4:10 Quote
Yes the 11 speed deore has a clutch. I'm just weighing the possibilities right now for this winter. I'll check out that microshift

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005393
Mobile Version of Website