2018 Bontrager dropper

PB Forum :: Trek
2018 Bontrager dropper
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 7, 2020 at 16:33 Quote
Im not sure if my dropper is returning to height slow or if these just pop up slower than others, but mine is a slug! Im planning on doing a service on it this weekend to clean and lube everything. If that doesnt do the trick, does anyone have the part number for the air cartridge? Ive seen a few floating around and want to make sure its the correct one.
Planning on using some park tool polylube. That reasonable for the dropper?

Thanks!
Mark

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 8:34 Quote
chawski wrote:
Im not sure if my dropper is returning to height slow or if these just pop up slower than others, but mine is a slug! Im planning on doing a service on it this weekend to clean and lube everything. If that doesnt do the trick, does anyone have the part number for the air cartridge? Ive seen a few floating around and want to make sure its the correct one.
Planning on using some park tool polylube. That reasonable for the dropper?

Thanks!
Mark

I serviced the dropper that came stock on my 2018 Trek Fuel EX7 my dropper a few months ago. Those droppers are actually TranzX droppers that Trek puts on their bikes. I used SRAM butter as polylube might be a bit thick. It was super easy to service.

O+
Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 19:21 Quote
Turned out my cartridge was the culprit. I tried Honey slick to see if that got it moving better but unfortunately didnt do much. I was surprisingly able to get a new air cartridge warranty replaced.

Interesting about the TranzX re-branding. Kinda surprised to see a company the size of Bontrager/Trek rebranding these, especially since theyre probably among the cheapest droppers on the market. Guess it makes sense why it crapped out so quick?

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 10:11 Quote
@Kblan10's statement is false. Our droppers are not TansX droppers, but on our lower level bikes, we do spec a TransX dropper on them and not one of our own Bontrager Line droppers which you would see on mid to high level bikes.

Our Bontrager droppers have the replaceable cartridges and travel reducers to make it a tunable and serviceable dropper where the TransX is not.\

-Mitch

O+
Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 20:00 Quote
Awesome, thanks for the clarification! Definitely seemed odd to me!

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 9:46 Quote
chawski wrote:

Actually, nothing I said is false and ol' Mitch is wrong. I love Trek but I've learned you need to talk to at least two online customer service techs before you trust their answer. I put a screen shot from my chat with Trek. I also contacted TransX and they confirmed my post was made by them and they sent me the manual for the dropper. Smile

photo

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 10:04 Quote
Kblan10 wrote:
chawski wrote:

Actually, nothing I said is false and ol' Mitch is wrong. I love Trek but I've learned you need to talk to at least two online customer service techs before you trust their answer. I put a screen shot from my chat with Trek. I also contacted TransX and they confirmed my post was made by them and they sent me the manual for the dropper. Smile

photo

I believe your statement originally read as "all Bontrager droppers where TransX" unless you edited it - which that is false. However, we do offer TransX droppers on our lower spec'd bikes as I mentioned.

Mitch

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 10:10 Quote
trek wrote:
Kblan10 wrote:
chawski wrote:

photo

I believe your statement originally read as "all Bontrager droppers where TransX" unless you edited it - which that is false. However, we do offer TransX droppers on our lower spec'd bikes as I mentioned.

Mitch

Nope, my original comment t is still up there. I was clearly referring to my 2018 Fuel EX 7. I'm just asking that you read someone's comment before you label it as "false". Thanks.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010874
Mobile Version of Website