Need Your Advice - Ibis Ripmo AF w/ Fox Instead of DVO

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need Your Advice - Ibis Ripmo AF w/ Fox Instead of DVO
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 7:05 Quote
Hey PinkBikers, long time listener, first time caller.

I need your advice - just bought an Ibis Ripmo AF NX build from my LBS.

I haven’t taken delivery yet (they are currently building it) but I just got notified that Ibis equipped it with Fox suspension instead of DVO which is unusual.

The fork is now a Fox 36 Performance (non-elite) and shock is DPX2 instead of the DVO Diamond and Topaz.

Do you think this spec is still a solid choice given it will not have DVO?

They estimate late Aug / Sept until they would receive a DVO build from Ibis and wouldn’t offer a store credit or any reimbursement.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 14:14 Quote
Tough call and it depends a bit on who you ask. Fox Performance (non-Factory or Elite, so for instance Grip damper) suspension in my honest opinion is nowhere near the performance of DVO dampers, although will cost about the same or more. By all accounts the 36 is a fair bit more stout than the Diamond, however.

You won't be getting a raw deal cost-wise, but the DVO is a better performing package (I believe by miles) compared to the base level Fox stuff.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 14:35 Quote
I wouldn't take delivery of that spec. The main reason why the Ripmo AF is considered such a good value is due to the top shelf DVO suspension. It's quite obvious that corners were cut elsewhere (brakes, drivetrain) to free up spending for the suspension.

Maybe try to negotiate for an upgrade to other parts in exchange for accepting the Fox parts? Every review seems to criticize the Guide T brakes so that might be a good starting point.

Also, pretty shitty that the shop wouldn't refund you when they are unable to deliver on the bike that you paid for. If you paid with a credit card within the last 3 months I'd try to chargeback if you aren't interested in waiting for 2 months.

O+
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
CaMKii wrote:
I wouldn't take delivery of that spec. The main reason why the Ripmo AF is considered such a good value is due to the top shelf DVO suspension. It's quite obvious that corners were cut elsewhere (brakes, drivetrain) to free up spending for the suspension.

Maybe try to negotiate for an upgrade to other parts in exchange for accepting the Fox parts? Every review seems to criticize the Guide T brakes so that might be a good starting point.

Also, pretty shitty that the shop wouldn't refund you when they are unable to deliver on the bike that you paid for. If you paid with a credit card within the last 3 months I'd try to chargeback if you aren't interested in waiting for 2 months.

dont have any input on the forks but so much of our sport is localized around LBS and many of us like supporting the LBS's...so for them to try and pawn off a bike with different components than spec'd and not offer any credit or reimbursement is pretty poor and unless they were willing to help you through it. i would almost say just cancel the transaction and take your business to another bike shop that values their customers a little better.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 21:57 Quote
This would be the first I've heard about it but it's possible dvo has run out of units to supply ibis with. If that's the case the option might be to get the bike or not. Even with fox suspension it's still probably the best value you can get.

I know the regular fox performance 36 comes with the grip damper but I'm not sure if it has the 3 position lsc or the sweep dial. If it comes with the sweep version there is virtually no difference between this and the current factory 36 with vvc because as per vorsprung the high speed adjuster does almost nothing anyway.

Dpx2 is a great shock. If ibis is no longer able to supply dvo you'd still be getting a great bike for the money. I'd want to know why they changed the suspension and I'd definitely be asking for a deal.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:56 Quote
I ordered a Jade from DVO about 2 months ago. ETA from manufacturing is September. I think COVID-19 put a serious damper on production (pun intended).

I've ridden a demo bike with a Fox 36 and wasn't to impressed compared to my Diamond. I also owned a 2018 DPX2 which was also meh compared to my Topaz. I'd do everything you can to get the DVO spec even if it means waiting.

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 16:13 Quote
I have two bikes: one with a DVO Diamond, the other a Fox 36 Performance. The DVO is lightyears better than the Fox. If they cant get you a DVO try to negotiate a Fox elite with the grip2 damper, it’s probably closer performance wise to the dvo.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 9:47 Quote
If they change spec after purchase, it should be a clear upgrade. Classic move by car dealer to bait with the model you want, but then put you into a different model because "availability" also consider cancel sale may mean waiting till the season is basically winter before you get it. Things are nuts with inventory right now, and 2 months of riding is no small thing to give up over details. There is no shortage of grip2. Or x2. Maybe a small upgrade and cough up a bit more cash?

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 20:09 Quote
Thanks everyone, all great and valid points, I appreciate it.

I definitely don’t want to wait 2+ months so I’m going to take the spec. Confirmed with Ibis that they were completely out of DVO so they were shipping with Fox.

Went in to talk with the LBS and got them to offer working out a future deal on a 2021 Grip2 damper upgrade after I ride it for a bit.

Slight bummer not getting the DVO but I’m sure that will wear off once I’m on the trails.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 22:35 Quote
Curtis-Lee wrote:
Thanks everyone, all great and valid points, I appreciate it.

I definitely don’t want to wait 2+ months so I’m going to take the spec. Confirmed with Ibis that they were completely out of DVO so they were shipping with Fox.

Went in to talk with the LBS and got them to offer working out a future deal on a 2021 Grip2 damper upgrade after I ride it for a bit.

Slight bummer not getting the DVO but I’m sure that will wear off once I’m on the trails.

That's not bad, but in my honest opinion make sure you have at least a DPX2 Performance Elite (can't tell from your first post which it is). The DPX2 Performance loses LSC adjustment, which personally would be a far greater compromise than a Grip damper on the front. If you're keen on tinkering, you could probably find a used or new take off FIT4 damper relatively cheap to replace that Grip damper with anyway.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011428
Mobile Version of Website