Is riding rough on my hardtail damaging?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Is riding rough on my hardtail damaging?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 14:37 Quote
So I've been mountain biking on my hardtail for about a year now and I'm loving it. The trails where I live are either a hard pack, flowy trail centre or much harder natural trails with a few big hits.
I have been getting into the natural riding more and I was wondering if those big hits could be damaging to my bike. Its a Voodoo Bizango.
It has no carbon on it and it's closer to a hardtail trail bike then a thoroughbred XC racer.
Would this bike be able to stand up to this kind of rough(er) riding and probably a lot of crashing?

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 15:25 Quote
While I cannot comment on the construction quality of this generation of VooDoo bikes, it generally shouldn't explode from riding it like a mountain bike.

most bikes die or undergo serious damage because of a lack of maintenance and because the operator fails to identify and remedy minor things.

So just pay attention to the bike and take care of it. if something doesn't work right, address it .... things should go just fine.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 15:25 Quote
At the very least, use an extra thick and strong rear tire. In my hardtail days, I found a 60TPI Minion or Bontrager's SE (Super Enduro) perfect for the back.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 19:47 Quote
Salsa bikes have a pretty good reputation. You should ride it like you stole it. Will it break? One day. When? Who knows?

I had a karate monkey from surley that I rode on the roughest trails BC had for the better part of a decade before it broke. My canfield nimble 9 broke after 1 season. My first ti honzo broke after two seasons as did my second. Who would have thought the karate monkey without any suspension would outlast three hardcore hardtails.

Your bike is designed to be ridden hard, have at it. Will it break? Yes. When will it break? The day before you buy your next hardtail!

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 19:51 Quote
A crash may not matter whether your on a hardtail or full suspension, but a full suspension bike has more things to break and may cost more to fix.

If you are landing hard, a full suspension bike will cushion the impact much more than a hardtail for both you and all the components on the bike. And if a hard landing on a hardtail resulted in a crash that may not have occurred on a full suspension bike, now you may be paying to fix you and your bike. I would rather be over biked with too much suspension.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 20:34 Quote
rahrider wrote:
Salsa bikes have a pretty good reputation. You should ride it like you stole it. Will it break? One day. When? Who knows?

I had a karate monkey from surley that I rode on the roughest trails BC had for the better part of a decade before it broke. My canfield nimble 9 broke after 1 season. My first ti honzo broke after two seasons as did my second. Who would have thought the karate monkey without any suspension would outlast three hardcore hardtails.

Your bike is designed to be ridden hard, have at it. Will it break? Yes. When will it break? The day before you buy your next hardtail!

Bro... It’s a Voodoo... not exactly in the same category as salsa or Canfield.

Posted: Jul 9, 2020 at 22:47 Quote
InfinityMTB wrote:
So I've been mountain biking on my hardtail for about a year now and I'm loving it. The trails where I live are either a hard pack, flowy trail centre or much harder natural trails with a few big hits.
I have been getting into the natural riding more and I was wondering if those big hits could be damaging to my bike. Its a Voodoo Bizango.
It has no carbon on it and it's closer to a hardtail trail bike then a thoroughbred XC racer.
Would this bike be able to stand up to this kind of rough(er) riding and probably a lot of crashing?

You’ll probably find certain parts giving up before the frame does. If I’m thinking of the right bike it’s got a 9mm qr axle, that’ll be a potential weak spot if things get pretty big. Like someone said before, maintenance is key to a long lasting bike. Just keep going at it and looking after your ride and you’ll both be fine.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 9:26 Quote
Based on Voodoo's description it should take a good beating! Also seems like it has 12mm TA rear instead of QR. If it were 9mm QR rear hub I'd be worried about the chainstays cracking from flex.

Ride it hard, check it for cracks occasionally. If you find a crack buy a new frame and move your components to it. You won't know how durable it really is until you end up breaking it.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 10:12 Quote
QR or 12mm axles on Hardtails make very little difference ,they add rigidity to full suspension bikes due to the added flex of multiple pivot points.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 10:19 Quote
jase111171 wrote:
QR or 12mm axles on Hardtails make very little difference ,they add rigidity to full suspension bikes due to the added flex of multiple pivot points.

That's not what they've been finding in the world of road bikes. Sprinters have taken a liking to TA because it noticably stiffens up the rear triangle.

I haven't been on a HT since everything has become TA front and rear but most HT frames with 9mm QR seemed to crack in the rear triangle. Doesn't seem so common with TA now.

Just my experience though so in the big picture there might not be much difference. I did crack a chainstay on a FS bike and it was no doubt from the noodley 9mm QR along with flex around all the pivots as you said.

Posted: Jul 10, 2020 at 11:44 Quote
cmcrawfo wrote:
rahrider wrote:
Salsa bikes have a pretty good reputation. You should ride it like you stole it. Will it break? One day. When? Who knows?

I had a karate monkey from surley that I rode on the roughest trails BC had for the better part of a decade before it broke. My canfield nimble 9 broke after 1 season. My first ti honzo broke after two seasons as did my second. Who would have thought the karate monkey without any suspension would outlast three hardcore hardtails.

Your bike is designed to be ridden hard, have at it. Will it break? Yes. When will it break? The day before you buy your next hardtail!

Bro... It’s a Voodoo... not exactly in the same category as salsa or Canfield.

I was reading voodoo and thinking salsa. My bad. I still say ride it. My karate monkey was a noname tubeset and Taiwanese welded. The voodoo is a Reynolds tubeset. I would however put a 2deg angleset in that bike.

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 3:40 Quote
InfinityMTB wrote:
So I've been mountain biking on my hardtail for about a year now and I'm loving it. The trails where I live are either a hard pack, flowy trail centre or much harder natural trails with a few big hits.
I have been getting into the natural riding more and I was wondering if those big hits could be damaging to my bike. Its a Voodoo Bizango.
It has no carbon on it and it's closer to a hardtail trail bike then a thoroughbred XC racer.
Would this bike be able to stand up to this kind of rough(er) riding and probably a lot of crashing?

Only one way to find out; and it has NOTHING to do with listening to opinions on the internet....

When did people become afraid of riding bikes?

Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 3:55 Quote
I was happy moving from standard quick release to Boost thru axles and felt better to me but probably a placebo effect.

Pretty sure the Voodoo Bizango's rear end is 141 quick release. No matter, ride it where and how you want, enjoy it and worry about it when something breaks (usually components rather than frame) and then get it fixed, by anyone except Halfords. Smile

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 14:28 Quote
It's rough on your kidneys.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007156
Mobile Version of Website