Tallboy NX derailleur and hub questions

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Tallboy NX derailleur and hub questions
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 10:40 Quote
I have a 2017 tallboy D with an NX long cage derailleur that is doing something weird. A couple times recently the clutch engaged while I was riding and I lost chain tension. Then the chain came off the front chainring.
I’m not sure why this happened or how to prevent it.
So I was thinking I will replace the drivetrain with a used one off pinkbike. Maybe GX Eagle or better.
The rear hub is a novatec D712 12x148mm
Do I need to buy a new hub if I want to upgrade to a GX or Xo1 drivetrain?
Thanks

O+
Posted: Jul 11, 2020 at 22:43 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
I have a 2017 tallboy D with an NX long cage derailleur that is doing something weird. A couple times recently the clutch engaged while I was riding and I lost chain tension. Then the chain came off the front chainring.
I’m not sure why this happened or how to prevent it.
So I was thinking I will replace the drivetrain with a used one off pinkbike. Maybe GX Eagle or better.
The rear hub is a novatec D712 12x148mm
Do I need to buy a new hub if I want to upgrade to a GX or Xo1 drivetrain?
Thanks

Unfortunately I can't help with the clutch issues, but I do know if you convert to GX or XO1 you may have to change the driver on the hub. I think NX uses a standard driver while GX and up use an XD driver.

Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 14:56 Quote
Thanks
I have a related question.
If I get a Shimano derailleur -like SLX - will It be compatible with my “HG” freehub?
But then I need a Shimano front shifter, new chain and new front chainring to go with it?
So probably about $300 ish.

Or the other option is to get and XD freehub and maybe a GX Eagle or other SRAM drivetrain for an upgrade?

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2020 at 16:05 Quote
You can keep the NX cassette and upgrade the rest of the drivetrain to GX, XX1 or X01

O+
Posted: Jul 13, 2020 at 20:12 Quote
haji1974 wrote:
Thanks
I have a related question.
If I get a Shimano derailleur -like SLX - will It be compatible with my “HG” freehub?
But then I need a Shimano front shifter, new chain and new front chainring to go with it?
So probably about $300 ish.

Or the other option is to get and XD freehub and maybe a GX Eagle or other SRAM drivetrain for an upgrade?

I'm pretty sure the SLX will work with the HG freehub. But as you said you will need a new chain and shifter. I don't think you should have to change the chainring unless it is Sram specific. Don't quote me on this but I think you can get away with using a Sram cassette with Shimano everything else.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008565
Mobile Version of Website