Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
I just checked my rear axle and found it to be incredibly loose. Has anyone else experienced this? I’m surprised considering the rear axle used a pinch bolt design. Last time I had a rear axle go loose I nearly lost the rear wheel while riding and that was scary as hell.

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 18:44 Quote
I had my axle come loose once. It was shifting funny and making noise, that's why I checked it. I now look at it every ride to see if it's in the three o'clock position. If you think about it, that's the part of the bike that takes the most abuse. Only natural that it might come loose; especially because you cant tighten it to a recommended torque.

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
shakazulu12 wrote:
Brave man running a Dissector up front.Beer
I thought the same thing seeing Team Atherton running Der Kaisers up front.. they are a dreadful tire on the rear (at least on the North Shore).. suicidal running it up front.

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
I had my axle come loose once. It was shifting funny and making noise, that's why I checked it. I now look at it every ride to see if it's in the three o'clock position. If you think about it, that's the part of the bike that takes the most abuse. Only natural that it might come loose; especially because you cant tighten it to a recommended torque.
Yeah mine has come loose a few times. Not sure what the exact protocol is supposed to be with the pinch bolt. I’ve just been torquing it to spec and then tightening the pinch bolt. Still seems to come loose every few rides.

The kid at the Norco shop when I bought it said not to tighten the pinch bolt too tight…he didn’t say why…

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 20:28 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Dustndirt wrote:
Yeah mine has come loose a few times. Not sure what the exact protocol is supposed to be with the pinch bolt. I’ve just been torquing it to spec and then tightening the pinch bolt. Still seems to come loose every few rides.

The kid at the Norco shop when I bought it said not to tighten the pinch bolt too tight…he didn’t say why…

Well that’s maddeningly unhelpful.

Posted: Sep 10, 2021 at 20:32 Quote
Mine's never come loose at all. Of course, I've had to check it to fix the 5 or 6 flats I've had since getting the bike mid-July.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:16 Quote
Does anyone in this group have any insider info or heard rumours of a Cascade link/Mullet link for the new Range Norcos Marketing say's they don't recommend it, but with removable drop-outs this is the perfect frame to make aftermarket mullet drop-outs...

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:42 Quote
My rear axle came loose again... irritating and somewhat alarming.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
Do you think you hitting it when you ride? I always have mine pointing at 3 o'clock position so it's out of the way.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 16:53 Quote
Dustndirt wrote:
Do you think you hitting it when you ride? I always have mine pointing at 3 o'clock position so it's out of the way.

The axle on the Range doesn't use a Quick release handle

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Dustndirt wrote:

The axle on the Range doesn't use a Quick release handle

I think he might be referring to the older Range…? Should I perhaps put some blue loctite on it?

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 17:07 Quote
I just emailed Norco about this rear axle coming loose. Just want to get their two cents to see if I’m doing something wrong or missing something.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:24 Quote
austenselk wrote:
I just emailed Norco about this rear axle coming loose. Just want to get their two cents to see if I’m doing something wrong or missing something.

Check the 4 bolts for the removable dropouts. Mine were about to fall out after the first ride and it caused the axle to wiggle loose as well. Not sure if Norco recommends but from experience I went ahead and blue-loctited those 4 bolts. Now have over 100 more miles and no issues there.

For those with cable rattle, I took some 3/4” pipe insulation I had laying around and shoved it in the top tube and down tube. No more rattle, and the bike doesn’t sound so “hollow” anymore either. Weighed the insulation at 20g so no prob there.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:43 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Check the 4 bolts for the removable dropouts. Mine were about to fall out after the first ride and it caused the axle to wiggle loose as well. Not sure if Norco recommends but from experience I went ahead and blue-loctited those 4 bolts. Now have over 100 more miles and no issues there.

For those with cable rattle, I took some 3/4” pipe insulation I had laying around and shoved it in the top tube and down tube. No more rattle, and the bike doesn’t sound so “hollow” anymore either. Weighed the insulation at 20g so no prob there.

Will do.

Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 20:44 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
austenselk wrote:

What do you mean when you say “shoved it in the top tube and down tube” like you literally just used it to fill negative space in the frame? Or did you successfully get the jag wire housing to slide down the cable?

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006845
Mobile Version of Website