Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
| Next Page
Author Message
Posted: Nov 17, 2021 at 14:24 Quote
I bought an XL Range c3 the first week they were available and other than adding a oneup bar and a 650 steel spring, rode it stock for 3 months.
I loved it but every time I was asked how I like it I had to say it was the best bike I've owned but it way to heavy.
With a 750ml bottle on it it was almost 43 pounds.

I then changed almost everything on the bike.

Swapped wheels to Nobl carbon on kings. XT casette. Fox 38. Turbine r stem, magura mt7. Atlas crank.

I don't have an exact number but I lost a ton of weight from stock and I don't think I gave up any durability and I don't think that upgrading to shed weight and improve performance means I bought the wrong bike.

The bike is noticeably more fun to ride, easier to throw around and easier to corner, its still heavy but i didn't not want to sacrifice durability.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
To the guy on here who complained about shifting problems even after multiple adjustments. Did you have someone check the B-limit position with you on the bike? I've been having a lot of issues with shifting and such, had a technician check it and then checked the B-Limit with me on it and it was off by a lot. Hoping to get out for a ride on it tonight and see how it stacks up!

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 19:23 Quote
bikenation wrote:
I then changed almost everything on the bike.

…I don't think I gave up any durability and I don't think that upgrading to shed weight and improve performance means I bought the wrong bike.

The bike is noticeably more fun to ride, easier to throw around and easier to corner, its still heavy but i didn't not want to sacrifice durability.

If you changed everything on the bike, you bought the wrong bike. Shoulda gone C1.

I was referring more to riders downgrading to structurally weaker components, like if you would have bought a Fox 36 instead of the 38. Or air shock instead of the coil spec’d on every model by Norco. Sounds like you are still within the parameters of Norco’s intentions.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 19:27 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
bikenation wrote:
I then changed almost everything on the bike.

…I don't think I gave up any durability and I don't think that upgrading to shed weight and improve performance means I bought the wrong bike.

The bike is noticeably more fun to ride, easier to throw around and easier to corner, its still heavy but i didn't not want to sacrifice durability.

If you changed everything on the bike, you bought the wrong bike. Shoulda gone C1.

I was referring more to riders downgrading to structurally weaker components, like if you would have bought a Fox 36 instead of the 38. Or air shock instead of the coil spec’d on every model by Norco. Sounds like you are still within the parameters of Norco’s intentions.

Is a 36/lyrik or an air shock actually structurally weaker though? Never seen an air shock snap in half...seen quite a few coil shocks snap in two on peoples bikes..

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
bikenation wrote:
I then changed almost everything on the bike.

…I don't think I gave up any durability and I don't think that upgrading to shed weight and improve performance means I bought the wrong bike.

The bike is noticeably more fun to ride, easier to throw around and easier to corner, its still heavy but i didn't not want to sacrifice durability.

If you changed everything on the bike, you bought the wrong bike. Shoulda gone C1.

I was referring more to riders downgrading to structurally weaker components, like if you would have bought a Fox 36 instead of the 38. Or air shock instead of the coil spec’d on every model by Norco. Sounds like you are still within the parameters of Norco’s intentions.

I don't think I bought the wrong bike given that I paid significantly less to upgrade the c3 to exactly what I want compared to what the c1 would have cost at retail.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 22:46 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
bradwalton wrote:
bikenation wrote:
I then changed almost everything on the bike.

…I don't think I gave up any durability and I don't think that upgrading to shed weight and improve performance means I bought the wrong bike.

The bike is noticeably more fun to ride, easier to throw around and easier to corner, its still heavy but i didn't not want to sacrifice durability.

If you changed everything on the bike, you bought the wrong bike. Shoulda gone C1.

I was referring more to riders downgrading to structurally weaker components, like if you would have bought a Fox 36 instead of the 38. Or air shock instead of the coil spec’d on every model by Norco. Sounds like you are still within the parameters of Norco’s intentions.

Is a 36/lyrik or an air shock actually structurally weaker though? Never seen an air shock snap in half...seen quite a few coil shocks snap in two on peoples bikes..

Is a smaller fork weaker? Umm, yeah. The 38mm forks were made to accommodate the extra heft of ebikes. A smaller rider won’t benefit as much from the bigger fork, nor would they from a frame as heavy as the Range.

Air shock isn’t structurally weaker, but performance wise on the Range, Norco has determined it is sub par.

Either of these is a performance downgrade in the sake of weight savings on a bike that’s never going to be as light as its competition. That said, I’m happy with the weight of mine. It’s glued to the ground, feels solid, and I wouldn’t want it any lighter.

You guys buy what you like. I don’t see any Ranges winning races. It has its merits but if weight is a huge concern there are much better/simpler options out there that don’t have 100 parts in the schematic.

Posted: Nov 22, 2021 at 22:48 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
If you changed everything on the bike, you bought the wrong bike. Shoulda gone C1.

I was referring more to riders downgrading to structurally weaker components, like if you would have bought a Fox 36 instead of the 38. Or air shock instead of the coil spec’d on every model by Norco. Sounds like you are still within the parameters of Norco’s intentions.
Up until 12-18months even the heaviest rider was on a 36 (if he didin’t want a 40), so i guess a previous gen 36 (cause the current is up to 160mm and has no place on a new Range) is plenty strong. Also, some of us air-folks consider air-shocks sensitive-enough for the purpose, so we’d be happy with another 200-300g less weight, especially on this bike.
Also, the C1 might not be what you want as a build, so it’s the best decision to get a C3 and change the build how you like it (just for example, i would want a Mezzer fork up front - none of the original builds offers this option). As for shedding weight - the best place to do so are the wheels and tires. Lightening the rotational weight is most noticeable - better shed 300-400g from wheels and tires than 1kg from fork, shock and cranks, for example! Smile

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 6:34 Quote
Since everyone on here is talking about losing weight… why not lose some body… never mind.

I had to get my dropper rebuilt/serviced and been on a few rides with it now with a rigid post. It now weighs 36.75 lbs. though I still do a ghost shift thinking I still have a dropper from time to time.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 13:47 Quote
austenselk wrote:
To the guy on here who complained about shifting problems even after multiple adjustments. Did you have someone check the B-limit position with you on the bike? I've been having a lot of issues with shifting and such, had a technician check it and then checked the B-Limit with me on it and it was off by a lot. Hoping to get out for a ride on it tonight and see how it stacks up!
This might’ve been me. I definitely had some problems, but backed my B screw out quite a bit and now it seems to shift fine.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
UncleCliffy wrote:
austenselk wrote:
To the guy on here who complained about shifting problems even after multiple adjustments. Did you have someone check the B-limit position with you on the bike? I've been having a lot of issues with shifting and such, had a technician check it and then checked the B-Limit with me on it and it was off by a lot. Hoping to get out for a ride on it tonight and see how it stacks up!
This might’ve been me. I definitely had some problems, but backed my B screw out quite a bit and now it seems to shift fine.

Glad you got it working then. Annoying to find that you cannot fix it in the stand as you have to have yourself physically on the bike when using the guide to see where it aligns.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 14:58 Quote
So your are supposed to set this as sag?

austenselk wrote:
UncleCliffy wrote:
austenselk wrote:
To the guy on here who complained about shifting problems even after multiple adjustments. Did you have someone check the B-limit position with you on the bike? I've been having a lot of issues with shifting and such, had a technician check it and then checked the B-Limit with me on it and it was off by a lot. Hoping to get out for a ride on it tonight and see how it stacks up!
This might’ve been me. I definitely had some problems, but backed my B screw out quite a bit and now it seems to shift fine.

Glad you got it working then. Annoying to find that you cannot fix it in the stand as you have to have yourself physically on the bike when using the guide to see where it aligns.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 15:00 Quote
austenselk wrote:
UncleCliffy wrote:
austenselk wrote:
To the guy on here who complained about shifting problems even after multiple adjustments. Did you have someone check the B-limit position with you on the bike? I've been having a lot of issues with shifting and such, had a technician check it and then checked the B-Limit with me on it and it was off by a lot. Hoping to get out for a ride on it tonight and see how it stacks up!
This might’ve been me. I definitely had some problems, but backed my B screw out quite a bit and now it seems to shift fine.

Glad you got it working then. Annoying to find that you cannot fix it in the stand as you have to have yourself physically on the bike when using the guide to see where it aligns.
I’m convinced now it’s because of the rear wheel path. The derailleur has to stretch when the bike is sagged out a little more compared to other bikes, and I think that makes a noticeable difference.

Posted: Nov 23, 2021 at 15:40 Quote
UncleCliffy wrote:
austenselk wrote:
UncleCliffy wrote:
This might’ve been me. I definitely had some problems, but backed my B screw out quite a bit and now it seems to shift fine.

Glad you got it working then. Annoying to find that you cannot fix it in the stand as you have to have yourself physically on the bike when using the guide to see where it aligns.
I’m convinced now it’s because of the rear wheel path. The derailleur has to stretch when the bike is sagged out a little more compared to other bikes, and I think that makes a noticeable difference.

Agreed. When my friend checked it with the gauge and I was on the bike it was way off.

Going to get out for a night ride tonight and see how it fairs. I picked myself up a new riding jacket and going to be putting it through its first ride tonight as well!

Posted: 1 days ago Quote
Got out for a ride Thursday morning and it definitely was shifting better, however I did find that when I was in my lower (harder) gears and when I would shift up into an easier one that my derailleur was stuttering to the point where I'd have to double shift. Anyways changed the micro adjust and will get out for a night ride after work today and see how it does at that juncture. I was pleasantly surprised by the spare tire that I replaced on my rear after I destroyed my Schwalbe that the casing on my spare tire was EXO+ score! Presently now I have a Maxxis Minion DHRII 2.4 EXO+ casing in the rear with my now single remaining Schwalbe Hans Dampf 2.35 and I'll continue riding with these until I either destroy another tire or wear them out.

Posted: 23 hours ago Quote
Check out #91 in this diagram. It holds both the rear mech and rear brake cables where they exit the top tube. If it's too tight it can cause the shifter cable to bind and affect the shifting, I had this issue with mine, backed it off about half a turn and it's fine now.

https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/bikes/bikes/range-assembler-doc-revb-customer.pdf

| Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008001
Mobile Version of Website