close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
Author Message
Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 8:13 Quote
Experimentation = expensive

Never mind going and trying to make a bike lighter weight. It’s just not justifiable to me.

On a completely different note, hoping that my dropper gets back from being rebuilt today so that I’ll have a dropper again.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 10:16 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
“ With that in mind, I expect one could drop quite a bit of weight from the range without sacrifice.”

Good luck with that. Do you not think Norco has tested it, knowing their bike is heavier than others? I’m all for experimenting, don’t get me wrong, but the bike is designed around a linear rate (coil). You probably won’t be able to get full travel with air, or will sag deep into mid stroke. Delete the volume spacers if you must try it.

I'm certain they tested it, and it didn't have the results they wanted for a product that they are selling to the masses, but it doesn't mean it won't or didn't work. Plenty of bikes have the ability to run air or coil, just because they recommend coil and spec coil, doesn't mean that an air shock won't work. William RBT just posted a picture of his range with an air shock and said it was just fine..

With any upgrade or part change, there will be give and take. With whatever perceived negatives there may be, being able to set proper sag seems like an important positive to me.

But we will see, part of the fun of riding bikes is experimenting, if it doesn't work it doesn't work.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:48 Quote
And I got my dropper back, wahoo! Just in time to get in for a night ride tonight and riding tomorrow on my day off!

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 14:56 Quote
austenselk wrote:
And I got my dropper back, wahoo! Just in time to get in for a night ride tonight and riding tomorrow on my day off!
was this the stock dropper that came on tour Range? What was the issue?

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 15:11 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
austenselk wrote:
And I got my dropper back, wahoo! Just in time to get in for a night ride tonight and riding tomorrow on my day off!
was this the stock dropper that came on tour Range? What was the issue?

No. The only components that I had left stock on my Range was the fork, and brake set. Everything else was parts I had already and preferred to be on.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:37 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:

I'm certain they tested it, and it didn't have the results they wanted for a product that they are selling to the masses, but it doesn't mean it won't or didn't work.

You are right, it will work fine. But it will be a performance downgrade for the sake of saving 1lb. Take a dump before your ride and enjoy the performance advantage of coil suspension, as the manufacturer has designed. You are paying for engineering, which Norco has spent an exorbitant amount of resources on. R&D is what you get when you buy one of the most expensive frames on the market. But hey, it’s your bike and your $$ so do what you want. I had the nicest Fox air shock on my S-works Enduro, but it was no coil…

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:45 Quote
The Range is my third enduro/trail bike with a coil rear shock, and I now definitely prefer coil over air. IMO.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 16:56 Quote
All I can say is once the right spring rate and preferred damper settings are dialed in the rear end of this bike with a coil feels amazing. I have an enduro racer buddy who has spent many hours playing around with this bike and he was mind blown the lines I was able to keep traction on with my Range when chasing me on wet trails one ride.

Posted: Dec 1, 2021 at 17:01 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:

I'm certain they tested it, and it didn't have the results they wanted for a product that they are selling to the masses, but it doesn't mean it won't or didn't work.

You are right, it will work fine. But it will be a performance downgrade for the sake of saving 1lb. Take a dump before your ride and enjoy the performance advantage of coil suspension, as the manufacturer has designed. You are paying for engineering, which Norco has spent an exorbitant amount of resources on. R&D is what you get when you buy one of the most expensive frames on the market. But hey, it’s your bike and your $$ so do what you want. I had the nicest Fox air shock on my S-works Enduro, but it was no coil…
"But hey, it’s your bike and your $$ so do what you want" Exactly..lol

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:11 Quote
193ish trav....

How?? 225x75 + custom link

So far? tuned the stack on the ccdb cs and been sending it. Bike feels DEEP.....
impressive thus far, waiting for rain it SoCal to shuttle proper DH trails. So far local DH tracks (telonics) feel amazing


Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 17:16 Quote
mtbynot wrote:
193ish trav....

How?? 225x75 + custom link

So far? tuned the stack on the ccdb cs and been sending it. Bike feels DEEP.....
impressive thus far, waiting for rain it SoCal to shuttle proper DH trails. So far local DH tracks (telonics) feel amazing


Love to see this kind of thing. One of those in combination with some WRP Mullet drop-outs would be incredible..

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 20:52 Quote
I've got the C3 with the deore cassette that weighs a ton. How come no one ever talks about swapping for a lighter cassette? Too expensive and it's a wear piece?

I'd love to save 400g on a wheel, out on the end of the bike. Definitely be nice for my shitty whips and hike a biking.

Posted: Dec 2, 2021 at 23:21 Quote
Swapping to a lighter wheelset and xt cassette made a huge difference. I'd say it's the reason why the bike is more fun to ride.
I also kept the deore casette for future use because I've heard shimano cassettes are going to be hard to find next season.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 1:28 Quote
Hi,

Would you recommend 165 mm cranks or 170? Wirh the enduro i hab many pedalstrickes. Don*t want to be the same on the norco.

My frame arrived and i will report soon with pictures my story with that bike!

Big Grin

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 2:18 Quote
mtbynot wrote:
193ish trav....

How?? 225x75 + custom link

So far? tuned the stack on the ccdb cs and been sending it. Bike feels DEEP.....
impressive thus far, waiting for rain it SoCal to shuttle proper DH trails. So far local DH tracks (telonics) feel amazing

WhT’s this custom link? Is it for sale somewhere? The frame’s ok with so much more travel? Smile


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008850
Mobile Version of Website