close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
BrianColes wrote:
How come no one ever talks about swapping for a lighter cassette? Too expensive and it's a wear piece?

I think you nailed it. When I built my Stumpjumper Evo it was mostly XT, but as parts wore I replaced with XTR because that’s all that was available. 100g difference for the cassette, about 1/4 lb. It all adds up, and by the time the bike was fully finished it’s 28 lbs. Pretty insane for a 160/160mm bike.

I’m realizing most of you bought complete bikes, whereas I stripped my Enduro to build up my Range frame. That makes a lot more sense with all the parts swapping talk in this forum. Sometimes it takes a lot more time to acquire parts and definitely more time to build it, but there’s really no money savings in buying a complete bike over piecing it together. There is some time savings for sure. Most all the parts on my Range came off my Enduro. Alot of those were on my Shore. It’s alot easier to sell high end frames than high end bikes.

Wheels are the best place to save weight. I’ve had really good luck with the DT240/WR1 Unions I built. I retensioned them once and they are still taking a beating 6 months later.

Could also easily save weight with EXT or SLS spring.

Posted: Dec 3, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
hitarpotar wrote:
mtbynot wrote:
193ish trav....

How?? 225x75 + custom link

So far? tuned the stack on the ccdb cs and been sending it. Bike feels DEEP.....
impressive thus far, waiting for rain it SoCal to shuttle proper DH trails. So far local DH tracks (telonics) feel amazing

WhT’s this custom link? Is it for sale somewhere? The frame’s ok with so much more travel? Smile

The norco team are using a similar set up for their DH bike which is literally the range frame. The custom link would definitely void the warranty though.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 7:56 Quote
Is anyone here running cushcore? Thinking about getting a set after destroying another tire yesterday

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Habaden wrote:
Is anyone here running cushcore? Thinking about getting a set after destroying another tire yesterday

Which tires are you using? I have tried Cushcore. If you think your bike feels heavy now, just wait!

Maxxis DD in Maxxterra if you want faster rolling, or DH casing Maxxgrip if you don’t care about that. No inserts needed.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Was running the Hutchinson Griffus racing lab which from what I researched is on par with Exo+? Just picked up a DD DHR2 maxxgrip for the winter and a set of cushcore. Curious to try it out

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
I’m blown away at the amount of people in this thread that run exo+ For a rear tire.

I can’t even make an exo+ last on my sight and I am not fast. Thinking about running less than a DD on a super enduro bike makes no sense.

Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
nskerb wrote:
I’m blown away at the amount of people in this thread that run exo+ For a rear tire.

I can’t even make an exo+ last on my sight and I am not fast. Thinking about running less than a DD on a super enduro bike makes no sense.

It really depends where you ride. In some places, the trails just aren’t that jagged, and a DD is overkill.

Posted: Dec 5, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
Frame has finally arrived

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
maxwharin1 wrote:
Has anyone ran their bike with a 205x65 shock instead of the stock 62.5mm stroke? Aside from possible clearance issues, any other downsides to slightly increasing stroke/travel?

Well the DHX2 that comes on the range is actually a 205x65 with just two half-circle spacers limiting the travel to 62.5. As long as there are no clearance issues there aren't any downsides to removing those spacers. The suspension will perform the same just bottom about 7mm later. The spacers are super easy to remove just remove spring and remove two screws and the spacers come off, here are some pics and more details: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/2021-dhx2-changing-stroke.288900/

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 13:49 Quote
Wormfarmer wrote:
maxwharin1 wrote:
Has anyone ran their bike with a 205x65 shock instead of the stock 62.5mm stroke? Aside from possible clearance issues, any other downsides to slightly increasing stroke/travel?

Well the DHX2 that comes on the range is actually a 205x65 with just two half-circle spacers limiting the travel to 62.5. As long as there are no clearance issues there aren't any downsides to removing those spacers. The suspension will perform the same just bottom about 7mm later. The spacers are super easy to remove just remove spring and remove two screws and the spacers come off, here are some pics and more details: https://ridemonkey.bikemag.com/threads/2021-dhx2-changing-stroke.288900/

I’m familiar! Was just curious if anyone had tried.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 23:19 Quote
Wormfarmer wrote:
… As long as there are no clearance issues there aren't any downsides to removing those spacers. The suspension will perform the same just bottom about 7mm later...
Check the previous page here - someone’s already riding a 225x75 shock on the Range. Yes, with a custom link, but that still means the frame’s suspension has the “more travel” idea built-in in it from the factory. So a 65mm stroke shouldn’t be a problem at all. My only guess would be that 2.5mm more stroke will correspond to around 5mm more frame travel, not 7 - due to the ratio lowering at the end of travel for progressivity. Smile

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
hitarpotar wrote:
Wormfarmer wrote:
… As long as there are no clearance issues there aren't any downsides to removing those spacers. The suspension will perform the same just bottom about 7mm later...
Check the previous page here - someone’s already riding a 225x75 shock on the Range. Yes, with a custom link, but that still means the frame’s suspension has the “more travel” idea built-in in it from the factory. So a 65mm stroke shouldn’t be a problem at all. My only guess would be that 2.5mm more stroke will correspond to around 5mm more frame travel, not 7 - due to the ratio lowering at the end of travel for progressivity. Smile

Yea your probably right on the 5mm, someone earlier in the thread mentioned Lewis Buchanan said he was running 175mm at one point so that was most likely stock build with spacers removed.

Posted: Dec 9, 2021 at 10:22 Quote
**** hit the fan and I need to sell my frame. Size medium. $4,000 with shipping, PayPal fees, and insurance included within the US.

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 0:42 Quote
austenselk wrote:
**** hit the fan and I need to sell my frame. Size medium. $4,000 with shipping, PayPal fees, and insurance included within the US.

Why selling?

Posted: Dec 10, 2021 at 6:59 Quote
Daveproride wrote:
austenselk wrote:

Why selling?

Car repairs.

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.007597
Mobile Version of Website