Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
O+
Posted: May 31, 2022 at 20:32 Quote
UncleCliffy wrote:
Daveproride wrote:
What spring rates are ppl running with 95 kg overall weight? To what lbs do you have set your Sprindex if used?

What are your seetings on the Fox 38? I feel the 38 in comparison to the Rearsuspension to harsh and not supple. I feel oall the work when riding down is done in the front. My back suspension just sits there and eats everything up.

I’m about 98 kg and I actually prefer my Sprindex at around 600. I chatted with the guys who ran the demo fleet, and a lot of people like to run a little more sag on the Range.

As for my 38, the recommendation of only one air volume spacer felt a little harsh. I went to running two in there with less air pressure. Fork works better in the high-speed chatter, and hasn’t bottomed yet. Seemed to really work well for me.

Did the demo fleet guys say why people prefer running more sag? I'm trying different coil weights at the moment and I'm finding stiffer is preferable overall for more support on jumps.
Do you have any thoughts on that?

Posted: May 31, 2022 at 21:06 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
Shock is making a loud rattle clunk through chunk. Sounds like the spring is loose but there’s plenty of preload. Everything’s torqued up.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Mine made these sounds when the main pivot bearings went out, and again when the chainstay bearings went out. If you grab the saddle with one hand and the rear tire with the other and twist in opposite directions rapidly back and forth, and you feel or hear play, you’ve got blown bearings.

O+
Posted: May 31, 2022 at 22:44 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
Shock is making a loud rattle clunk through chunk. Sounds like the spring is loose but there’s plenty of preload. Everything’s torqued up.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Mine made these sounds when the main pivot bearings went out, and again when the chainstay bearings went out. If you grab the saddle with one hand and the rear tire with the other and twist in opposite directions rapidly back and forth, and you feel or hear play, you’ve got blown bearings.

Oof… I’ll check. Been riding this for less than a month. If that’s all it takes to cook the bearings this is going to be a very high drama relationship (!)..

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 1:31 Quote
I had to send my shock to Fox this week, because the outter body came loose, looks like they dindn't use Loctite. I was checking every bolt and bearing, because it was rattling so loud.
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 2:34 Quote
ozhuck2flat wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

I had this problem early on and it turned out to be the yoke connection to the shock being loose. A clean and fresh locktite and grease fixed it.
Also, if you've lost one of the spacer washers from the back eyelet bolt assembly of the yoke, this could cause the rattle. You may not notice it's missing when doing up the bolts.

These probably aren't your problem, but worth checking if you haven't already.

Thanks! Are you talking about the bolt that connects the link to the yoke or the bolt that connects the yoke to the shock?

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 2:45 Quote
chri92 wrote:
I had to send my shock to Fox this week, because the outter body came loose, looks like they dindn't use Loctite. I was checking every bolt and bearing, because it was rattling so loud.
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Oh that 100% sounds like my issue. Betting it’s that.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 6:22 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:
chri92 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Two things that I think it might be that I've had trouble with. Have a look at the exploded diagram on sheet 5 of Norco's assembly drawing:
https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/bikes/bikes/range-assembler-doc-revb-customer.pdf

Part 32 worked loose after my first few rides. I needed to clean it, re-grease the smooth bit and locktite the thread. Then it held and there was no more play in that part.

One of the washer spacers (part 40) fell out when I was putting the linkage back together. The shock felt loose but I couldn't work out why until I found the washer on the ground.

Also, you can test out each bolt and joint on the bike as the others have said.
Wiggle the suspension while you have a finger on each joint in turn. If the joint is loose, you may be able to feel the parts moving or slipping against each other under your finger.

The other guys had some good suggestions too about the bearings and shock. Hopefully one of these is your problem and you can get it fixed. Good luck.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 7:19 Quote
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

is there top out? this is what my shock was doing and there was a huge top out clunk at the end of the travel (jump on the bike in a parking lot and pull the back wheel up with the pedals), turns out it was blown.

tons of people are having issues with blown dhx2s and this bike, mine blew first ride and fox sent it back from warranty service still blown. ive actually had my range brand new since march and have yet to get a ride in where something isn't broken.

also to anyone reading this thread who is considering buying a range i would strongly recommend against it right now based on my experience. build quality from the factory was tragic, support from both norco and fox has been nonexistent etc - great bike from a design perspective but there are tons of equally great options from other brands like transition that will provide you with a fantastic bike that was put together with care and support from the company.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
ozhuck2flat wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:
chri92 wrote:

Two things that I think it might be that I've had trouble with. Have a look at the exploded diagram on sheet 5 of Norco's assembly drawing:
https://www.norco.com/cmsb/uploads/bikes/bikes/range-assembler-doc-revb-customer.pdf

Part 32 worked loose after my first few rides. I needed to clean it, re-grease the smooth bit and locktite the thread. Then it held and there was no more play in that part.

One of the washer spacers (part 40) fell out when I was putting the linkage back together. The shock felt loose but I couldn't work out why until I found the washer on the ground.

Also, you can test out each bolt and joint on the bike as the others have said.
Wiggle the suspension while you have a finger on each joint in turn. If the joint is loose, you may be able to feel the parts moving or slipping against each other under your finger.

The other guys had some good suggestions too about the bearings and shock. Hopefully one of these is your problem and you can get it fixed. Good luck.

Epic, thanks! Tackling this afternoon and will report back…

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
tom-mc wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

is there top out? this is what my shock was doing and there was a huge top out clunk at the end of the travel (jump on the bike in a parking lot and pull the back wheel up with the pedals), turns out it was blown.

tons of people are having issues with blown dhx2s and this bike, mine blew first ride and fox sent it back from warranty service still blown. ive actually had my range brand new since march and have yet to get a ride in where something isn't broken.

also to anyone reading this thread who is considering buying a range i would strongly recommend against it right now based on my experience. build quality from the factory was tragic, support from both norco and fox has been nonexistent etc - great bike from a design perspective but there are tons of equally great options from other brands like transition that will provide you with a fantastic bike that was put together with care and support from the company.

Could be it too. Clunk is happening well short of full travel, but if it’s a blown top out I’m sure that could still manifest.

Agreed, epic design and rides amazing but seems like these frames were assembled by blindfolded volunteers.

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 15:36 Quote
chri92 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

My shock also had this issue and I had to have it rebuilt. The o-ring at the bleed port for the DHX2 was also hanging out… pretty poor quality from Fox. The knocking sound was most prominent at top out and recompression, but was a horrendous cracking sound.

Since having the shock rebuilt the sound has gone away.

O+
Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 20:12 Quote
MTBnamegenerator wrote:
chri92 wrote:
Blownoutrides wrote:

Any ideas??

Thanks!

My shock also had this issue and I had to have it rebuilt. The o-ring at the bleed port for the DHX2 was also hanging out… pretty poor quality from Fox. The knocking sound was most prominent at top out and recompression, but was a horrendous cracking sound.

Since having the shock rebuilt the sound has gone away.

Shock was the culprit. Lots of oil all around the piston when I removed it. Swapped out with another DHX2 and the noise disappeared. This is the 3rd DHX2 this has happened to (on different bikes) this year. These shocks work good until they don’t. My EXTs feel better and don’t blow up. Wish I could fit one on this bike (!).

Posted: Jun 1, 2022 at 21:32 Quote
ozhuck2flat wrote:
UncleCliffy wrote:
Daveproride wrote:
What spring rates are ppl running with 95 kg overall weight? To what lbs do you have set your Sprindex if used?

What are your seetings on the Fox 38? I feel the 38 in comparison to the Rearsuspension to harsh and not supple. I feel oall the work when riding down is done in the front. My back suspension just sits there and eats everything up.

I’m about 98 kg and I actually prefer my Sprindex at around 600. I chatted with the guys who ran the demo fleet, and a lot of people like to run a little more sag on the Range.

As for my 38, the recommendation of only one air volume spacer felt a little harsh. I went to running two in there with less air pressure. Fork works better in the high-speed chatter, and hasn’t bottomed yet. Seemed to really work well for me.

Did the demo fleet guys say why people prefer running more sag? I'm trying different coil weights at the moment and I'm finding stiffer is preferable overall for more support on jumps.
I think it comes down to the type of terrain they were riding.

I noticed this weekend when I took mine out and did a couple drops I blew through the travel. Now when I say that, I never felt it bottom. I just had somebody filming me and noticed it. This was turning my Sprindex back about 20 pounds from recommended. All the compression/rebound settings are off the Norco chart. If I’m doing more trail riding or jumping I stick with the right preload. I’m hoping to ride that same trail again with the correct preload and see how things feel. I was running it plush to eat up some of the rougher stuff of the trail…

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 3:09 Quote
Thanks Cliffy, I appreciate the response. I assume you mean spring rate and not preload. If you're preloading the shock more than 1-2 turns to change the way it feels, don't- change the spring rate instead.

I would have bought a Sprindex for my Range but they don't make them stiff enough for me. I'm around 230lb as I ride an XL frame and I'm pretty solid since I put on weight over covid. I had a Sprindex on my old bike and it was totally worth the money and weight penalty for being able to tune the bike weight distribution like I could with an air fork and shock. I'm pissed that I can't get one for my Range.

I guess I may have to switch between springs whether I'm riding park or raw trails. Both springs are good but have some pretty serious drawbacks in certain situations.

UncleCliffy wrote:
ozhuck2flat wrote:
UncleCliffy wrote:

I noticed this weekend when I took mine out and did a couple drops I blew through the travel. Now when I say that, I never felt it bottom. I just had somebody filming me and noticed it. This was turning my Sprindex back about 20 pounds from recommended. All the compression/rebound settings are off the Norco chart. If I’m doing more trail riding or jumping I stick with the right preload. I’m hoping to ride that same trail again with the correct preload and see how things feel. I was running it plush to eat up some of the rougher stuff of the trail…

Posted: Jun 2, 2022 at 14:20 Quote
ozhuck2flat wrote:
Thanks Cliffy, I appreciate the response. I assume you mean spring rate and not preload. If you're preloading the shock more than 1-2 turns to change the way it feels, don't- change the spring rate instead.

I would have bought a Sprindex for my Range but they don't make them stiff enough for me. I'm around 230lb as I ride an XL frame and I'm pretty solid since I put on weight over covid. I had a Sprindex on my old bike and it was totally worth the money and weight penalty for being able to tune the bike weight distribution like I could with an air fork and shock. I'm pissed that I can't get one for my Range.

I guess I may have to switch between springs whether I'm riding park or raw trails. Both springs are good but have some pretty serious drawbacks in certain situations.

UncleCliffy wrote:
ozhuck2flat wrote:

Yeah I don’t really change the preload once it’s set. I’m just under 220 pounds and they recommend a 600 to 610 pound spring for me. I run my Sprindex about 590 to 600. It’s crazy at your weight the spring that they recommend. It’s quite a jump!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.011904
Mobile Version of Website