Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
O+
Posted: Jun 19, 2022 at 9:55 Quote
Just wanted to post something other than whining about missing hardware (that has finally arrived) and shifting issues (that disappear once you adjust correctly).

This bike is insane. After a few months the legs are stronger than ever and the reward when you point it down is next level. Did some back to back comparisons to my enduro & Kenevo SL and it was no contest. Range plows way better and is poppier at the same time. I think my favorite thing might be the fact that it actually gets MORE stable after a big hit/compression/drop/jump, so that moment of squirrellyness just after is now smooth sailing.

Well done Norco engineering.

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 9:36 Quote
Agree with Blownoutrides - absolutely in love with my Range.

Read a few discussions and wanted to see if anyone had seen anything similar.
I checked the bearing on my idler and it felt very notchy and rough - full of grease so I decided to replace the bearing.
When I extracted it the bearing felt great, smooth and no notches - Must be a machining issue on the idler either in roundness of the hole or size of the hole and too tight press fit?

I installed the same bearing into another idler and it ran smoothly with no drag. (I bought as a spare - BTW Norco north shore has a huge bag of idlers if you're in BC and need one! - I was worried about supply, but they have loads).

Any hearsay of NSB making an idler? would love a harder wearing idler with better machining tolerances for the bearing.

Also wondering if anyone has serviced pivot bearings yet - I had trouble with the ones near the dropouts I couldn't remove the bolt and the square nut pulled out and span making it difficult to reinstall and a bit of marring on the frame - I'll try grab a picture later.

Happy trails!

O+
Posted: Jun 20, 2022 at 9:52 Quote
modvelo wrote:
Agree with Blownoutrides - absolutely in love with my Range.

Read a few discussions and wanted to see if anyone had seen anything similar.
I checked the bearing on my idler and it felt very notchy and rough - full of grease so I decided to replace the bearing.
When I extracted it the bearing felt great, smooth and no notches - Must be a machining issue on the idler either in roundness of the hole or size of the hole and too tight press fit?

I installed the same bearing into another idler and it ran smoothly with no drag. (I bought as a spare - BTW Norco north shore has a huge bag of idlers if you're in BC and need one! - I was worried about supply, but they have loads).

Any hearsay of NSB making an idler? would love a harder wearing idler with better machining tolerances for the bearing.

Also wondering if anyone has serviced pivot bearings yet - I had trouble with the ones near the dropouts I couldn't remove the bolt and the square nut pulled out and span making it difficult to reinstall and a bit of marring on the frame - I'll try grab a picture later.

Happy trails!

I should really check mine, but if free bearing feels good, apart from pulley wheel machining tolerance it could be bearing was pressed in too tight?

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 14:43 Quote
Anyone have experience fitting an XL Range into a travel bag? Wheelbase is longer than the max listed for any bag I've come across... Evoc Pro, Dakine, etc.

Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 5:17 Quote
im 4 months in and still have yet to get a ride in where my dhx2 makes it to the bottom of the hill without blowing its guts out - whats the full list of shocks that fit this bike?

as I understand it its:

- super deluxe coil (but not the newest one?)
- cane creek double barrel

I know lewis buchanan is running a dvo jade on his but he had to shave material off the shock body to get it in there. I'm also not sure how the bike would ride with an off the shelf shock as there is a very specific tune that norco is running for the dhx2/sram shock on this thing

O+
Posted: Jul 4, 2022 at 19:29 Quote
bbarson wrote:
Anyone have experience fitting an XL Range into a travel bag? Wheelbase is longer than the max listed for any bag I've come across... Evoc Pro, Dakine, etc.

I'm using an old bike bag which was sold by Torpedo7 years ago. It's around the max dimensions that the airlines will take. I can't find it for sale anymore though. It's not very good compared to modern expensive ones like Evoc, but if you pad your bike properly with bubble wrap, bedding foam and pvc piping these kind of cheap bags work well. The fit is just large enough for an XL, which keeps the bag rigid when using the roller wheels.

https://www.torpedo7.co.nz/products/T7BCWN5TB/title/transporter-padded-bike-wheel-bag#reviewsSection

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 6:59 Quote
tom-mc wrote:
im 4 months in and still have yet to get a ride in where my dhx2 makes it to the bottom of the hill without blowing its guts out - whats the full list of shocks that fit this bike?

as I understand it its:

I know lewis buchanan is running a dvo jade on his but he had to shave material off the shock body to get it in there. I'm also not sure how the bike would ride with an off the shelf shock as there is a very specific tune that norco is running for the dhx2/sram shock on this thing

Same thing here i have to rebuilt the damn shock every 3 ride or so... it is getting really frustrating last rebuild was during the winter so i had no problem to warranty it by fox with their long turn around but this time in the middle of the riding season it pisses me off to pay the rebuild with my own pocket Madder

looking for a new coil shock as well but nothing seems to fit.... was wondering if the bomber would fit in 65mm

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 14:55 Quote
Evidently I don't ride hard enough...Mine is working fine still. I did also see someone blowing up a shock off a ~5 ft drop.

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 19:13 Quote
Ohlins TTX1 should fit. I may give it a go. Sucks that the ttx2 won’t.

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 19:34 Quote
marcoroy wrote:
tom-mc wrote:

as I understand it its:

Same thing here i have to rebuilt the damn shock every 3 ride or so... it is getting really frustrating last rebuild was during the winter so i had no problem to warranty it by fox with their long turn around but this time in the middle of the riding season it pisses me off to pay the rebuild with my own pocket Madder

looking for a new coil shock as well but nothing seems to fit.... was wondering if the bomber would fit in 65mm

Bummer guys! I’ve had my Range since September and have ridden it enough to replace all the pivot bearings twice and 3 idlers, but still on the stock Fox shock with zero issues. I did up the spring weight from stock.

I had a Norco Shore (high pivot) and blew the Fox shock which I think was from running too light of a spring. Check your sag with no preload and verify you have the right spring weight. Somewhere around 28% feels really good to me on the Range. Ride aligned is great but isn’t always 100% for everyone.

I found a lightly used Super Deluxe coil in 205x65 on PB Buysell for a good price, so maybe try that. Excited to give that a go for MOAR TRAVEL!!! Pairing it with WRP mullet link for 186mm rear, might bump my 180 Zeb to 190 just because I can!

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 21:01 Quote
Did you calc what your head angle is going to end up being with a 190 fork? Just curious

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 21:15 Quote
loulew wrote:
Did you calc what your head angle is going to end up being with a 190 fork? Just curious

Probably unrideable but I’ve always dreamed of a 190-200mm single crown so I’d better try it Wink

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 21:31 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
marcoroy wrote:
tom-mc wrote:

as I understand it its:

Bummer guys! I’ve had my Range since September and have ridden it enough to replace all the pivot bearings twice and 3 idlers, but still on the stock Fox shock with zero issues. I did up the spring weight from stock.

I had a Norco Shore (high pivot) and blew the Fox shock which I think was from running too light of a spring. Check your sag with no preload and verify you have the right spring weight. Somewhere around 28% feels really good to me on the Range. Ride aligned is great but isn’t always 100% for everyone.

I found a lightly used Super Deluxe coil in 205x65 on PB Buysell for a good price, so maybe try that. Excited to give that a go for MOAR TRAVEL!!! Pairing it with WRP mullet link for 186mm rear, might bump my 180 Zeb to 190 just because I can!

all pivot bearings twice since september? 3 idlers? thats awful, i rode my supreme hard in bikeparks from march to october last year and the bearings were pretty much fine (did them anyway) and the idler is as well.

around how many hours of hard riding have the bearings been good for?

Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 22:08 Quote
I dunno man I ride about every day, no shuttle or bike park just long climbs and rough descents. I have other bikes too but the Range is the foul weather bike because it has MaxxGrips. Very disappointed in the bearing life, seems like something is always loose and rattley on my Range. Some of the bearings are a real mf’er to replace too. I’ve got more miles on my Stumpy Evo and it’s still on the original bearings.

As for the idler, another shocker there. It wears faster than a chainring. It’s a good thing the frame is stout AF and rides really well or I would be searching for a replacement.

O+
Posted: Jul 12, 2022 at 22:13 Quote
bradwalton wrote:
I dunno man I ride about every day, no shuttle or bike park just long climbs and rough descents. I have other bikes too but the Range is the foul weather bike because it has MaxxGrips. Very disappointed in the bearing life, seems like something is always loose and rattley on my Range. Some of the bearings are a real mf’er to replace too. I’ve got more miles on my Stumpy Evo and it’s still on the original bearings.

As for the idler, another shocker there. It wears faster than a chainring. It’s a good thing the frame is stout AF and rides really well or I would be searching for a replacement.

My bearings have been wearing out surprisingly fast too. A few are due for a change soon.

That's really unlucky about the idlers. What drivetrain and chain are you using? I've had problems with the chainrings but not the idler.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.097500
Mobile Version of Website