Norco Range 2021

PB Forum :: Norco
Norco Range 2021
Author Message
Posted: Aug 27, 2022 at 23:13 Quote
DGB80 wrote:
Got my C1 just in time for a week in Whistler. Stock aside from Saint brakes and DH tires. Trying to decide if it needs a Fox 40 for park duty or if the 38 will be good enough. First time not having a full DH bike since 2001



I haven’t had a full downhill rig for five or six years now. Saying that, I feel this bike out performs all of them. If I had the means, I’d try it with a dual crown and longer shock, but it rides all my normal downhill trails great as-is.

Have fun!

Posted: Aug 29, 2022 at 13:58 Quote
Mullet Range Ride Impressions:

I’ve got about 8 big days on the WRP Range mullet link. As previously stated, mine is the 186mm travel option using a 2022 65mm stroke Super Deluxe Coil with the Ride Aligned recommended 600# spring (same spring weight as with stock 62.5mm Fox). Sag is similar at ~28%. I have had the 180mm air shaft in my Zeb since I got the bike, and do not feel a need to go 190mm.

Climbing: the bike does feel like it sits a tad lower (more travel so it definitely does), so technical climbs I have noticed a tad more pedal strikes, but overall I feel no discernible difference in rear wheel rollover. It does seem to have slightly floppier low speed steering. I feel like the bike is more maneuverable over roots and going around switchbacky corners. It does seem easier to spin up the rear wheel over obstacles when technical climbing. Climbing traction, as with the stock link, is phenomenal.

In the steeps: The main reason I purchased the link is to run the smaller rear wheel, which is a welcome change on the very steep trails in which I had been hit with the rear tire with the stock 29’er wheel. The bike feels WAY more maneuverable and confidence inspiring in getting body weight centered.

Jumping: again, way more maneuverable, just plain more fun in general. I always felt like this bike was a bit dead, but now it’s alive with more energy and snap than stock. I hit a few features that previously caused me to get hit with the 29’er tire on big landings and now it’s a non-issue with the 27.5.

Cornering: snappier and it feels easier to throw the bike around in general.

Stability: moot, seems the same

Added travel: not entirely noticeable but it does seem to balance a bit better with the longer stroke fork.

In general, the bike feels much more playful and I am still looking forward to installing the size L dropouts on my XL to shorten up the rear 5mm. I think this mod will make it even snappier with minimal affect on stability. Overall I am real happy I got the WRP link. I had been contemplating selling my Range but this mod has made the bike a lot more fun.

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 5:09 Quote
What % of SAG you guys are running? Are you pretty much riding Norco ride aligned recommandation or a stiffer setup?


O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 7:29 Quote
Soucy wrote:
What % of SAG you guys are running? Are you pretty much riding Norco ride aligned recommandation or a stiffer setup?


I run my shock 50lb stiffer than recommended

caveat is I'm still a terrible rider, just didn't like the bottom out characteristics... That and obviously the spring wasn't dyno'd so I have no idea what true rate it is. I had a 450 SLS and a 450 regular one, they felt pretty different tbh. Now on 500

O+
Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 7:41 Quote
loulew wrote:
Soucy wrote:
What % of SAG you guys are running? Are you pretty much riding Norco ride aligned recommandation or a stiffer setup?


I run my shock 50lb stiffer than recommended

caveat is I'm still a terrible rider, just didn't like the bottom out characteristics... That and obviously the spring wasn't dyno'd so I have no idea what true rate it is. I had a 450 SLS and a 450 regular one, they felt pretty different tbh. Now on 500

My fox 500 LBS stock spring is more like 465 based on feel on a relative sprindex.
I'm running 75lbs less than ride aligned. I find that at high spring rates it loses the sensitivity. I think im around 33% sag

I've not felt the bottom yet.... which is interesting, but also haven't taken it to the park yet.

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
Suspension can feel harsh if undersprung! Counterintuitive, but if you are too deep in the travel the suspension is out of the supple beginning stroke and into the firmer mid-stroke. 28% sag is the sweet spot for me on this bike. After much trial and error, turns out Ride Aligned spring settings give best results with either Fox or Rockshox shocks. Be honest with yourself in the Ride Aligned settings with your riding weight (shoes/helmet/water bottle/etc) and riding skill level. ~2 turns spring preload or else you’re on the wrong spring.

Posted: Aug 31, 2022 at 8:46 Quote
if you are running the dhx2, vvc is really finnicky on that shock with compression settings. I'm running the recommended spring with more compression damping than suggested - I find the shock works pretty poorly with high spring rate and open compression on both my range and supreme but comes to life with lighter spring rates (which ride aligned recommends).

there are a lot of interactions between the various adjustments on vvc, the general rule a lot of people go by (including race mechanics i talked to) is to keep your highspeed and lowspeed compression within 3-5 clicks of each other.

and as brad said dont tune sag with preload

Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 9:58 Quote
Idlers seem hard to get and personally mine has worn out so quick. Is anyone interested in other options? well first are there any good options?

O+
Posted: Sep 2, 2022 at 10:19 Quote
Oldfatslowrider71 wrote:
Idlers seem hard to get and personally mine has worn out so quick. Is anyone interested in other options? well first are there any good options?

Not yet, maybe soon. Mine is still on back-order since last year in BC. Last I heard someone sent a sample to NSB?

Posted: Sep 3, 2022 at 2:08 Quote
When i bought the bike i ordered 2 extra Idlers with it, bevaus i already througth that there will be a lack of idlers. If you can grad 2-3 then get them.

Suggestion from Nroco was 600 lbs spring for me. I am Running a Sprindex with 540 on it. Dunno how much sag i exactly have, but should be around 30% LSC completly open: The bike rides soooo good. The end ist smooth like budder. Breakingbumps i don*t feel. OFC jumping ist little harder and it doesn*t pop you out of the jump, but on the other side the end is not kicking me on jumps. People riding mybike would say the backend is totaly dead.

Overall after now i have set my fox 38 and the backend the bike is the best bike i ever have ridden. I never had such a good suspension overall. This bike rescues your ass when you totally fail.

The front fox 38 is primitive in comparison to the end. Hope there will be something better in future.

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 1:40 Quote
Daveproride wrote:
When i bought the bike i ordered 2 extra Idlers with it, bevaus i already througth that there will be a lack of idlers. If you can grad 2-3 then get them.

Suggestion from Nroco was 600 lbs spring for me. I am Running a Sprindex with 540 on it. Dunno how much sag i exactly have, but should be around 30% LSC completly open: The bike rides soooo good. The end ist smooth like budder. Breakingbumps i don*t feel. OFC jumping ist little harder and it doesn*t pop you out of the jump, but on the other side the end is not kicking me on jumps. People riding mybike would say the backend is totaly dead.

Overall after now i have set my fox 38 and the backend the bike is the best bike i ever have ridden. I never had such a good suspension overall. This bike rescues your ass when you totally fail.

The front fox 38 is primitive in comparison to the end. Hope there will be something better in future.
Brand-religion-influenced opinion: there already is something better: it’s called Manitou! Depending on your preference for sc- or dc- fork, you’d be looking at the Mezzer or the Dorado!

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 9:38 Quote
Daveproride wrote:
When i bought the bike i ordered 2 extra Idlers with it, bevaus i already througth that there will be a lack of idlers. If you can grad 2-3 then get them.

Suggestion from Nroco was 600 lbs spring for me. I am Running a Sprindex with 540 on it. Dunno how much sag i exactly have, but should be around 30% LSC completly open: The bike rides soooo good. The end ist smooth like budder. Breakingbumps i don*t feel. OFC jumping ist little harder and it doesn*t pop you out of the jump, but on the other side the end is not kicking me on jumps. People riding mybike would say the backend is totaly dead.

Overall after now i have set my fox 38 and the backend the bike is the best bike i ever have ridden. I never had such a good suspension overall. This bike rescues your ass when you totally fail.

The front fox 38 is primitive in comparison to the end. Hope there will be something better in future.
where did u get ur idler ?

Posted: Sep 4, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
i have my idlers from indiansummercycles from switzerland.

hitarpotar can elobrate what means brand-religion-influenced? I am maybe little biased for the bike. but that is my opinion.


i never had a better bike.

Posted: Sep 5, 2022 at 9:37 Quote
Wanted to ask if anyone on this forum has owned/ridden both the forbidden dreadnought and the range and can comment on the differences between the two. I'm trying to decide between the two for a park/enduro race bike. Thanks!

O+
Posted: Sep 7, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
Apologies if this one has been covered before…

Anyone else having an issue with the idler chain guide tabs on the seat stay contacting the main triangle towards the bottom end of the travel stroke?

The seat tube area carbon flares out just below the idler pivot and the seat stay tabs are grinding into it. At this point it’s through the paint and digging into carbon.

Thanks!


 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008228
Mobile Version of Website