Where are all the V-Brake riders?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Where are all the V-Brake riders?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 10:21 Quote
I ride a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport with V-Brakes. Are there any XC riders that still use V-Brakes because they work just fine for braking.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 10:50 Quote
My 1999 RM Element has cable operated brakes that work fine until you ride through a puddle and get wet rims. They work good, but absolutely no comparison with hydraulic disc brakes.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 11:11 Quote
My hardtail has v brakes. Hard descents require a full stop and cool down. Wheels are so trashed they cannot be trued anymore nd i have to run the brakes pretty loose to avoid rubbing. Good pads made a world of difference. The wheels are on their 3rd bike, and they were used. Somehow still hold air with cheap generic cst tires and ghetto tubless. 2 year old sealant. Probably powder by now. This bike gets ridden a lot and works fine. Discs are superior...

O+
Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 14:31 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
My hardtail has v brakes. Hard descents require a full stop and cool down. Wheels are so trashed they cannot be trued anymore nd i have to run the brakes pretty loose to avoid rubbing. Good pads made a world of difference. The wheels are on their 3rd bike, and they were used. Somehow still hold air with cheap generic cst tires and ghetto tubless. 2 year old sealant. Probably powder by now. This bike gets ridden a lot and works fine. Discs are superior...
I don't have any rubbing with mine because I taken good care and even the previous owner has too. Always service your bikes.

Posted: Jul 14, 2020 at 21:57 Quote
Yeah, it could use a tune up, shifter only hits 3 gears i think its stripped inside. I'll put new sealant in when i do tires. Rear gettn a littlesmooth. I rebuilt the hubs, and teardown grease and rebuild everything once a year or 3 so its smooth and efficient. I don't take care of my bikes, i beat the hell out of them. Not buyin new 26 wheels when i could upgrade my newer full suspension. Ill find a shifter in the box at use it again sports. Truck is the same way. Gets nothing but abuse. I do all my own work, so it only cost me. Neither a candidate for resale, but they both get tons of use.

Posted: Jul 15, 2020 at 7:36 Quote
Had to replace a few of my rims back in the day thanks to the
wear using DX V brakes, otherwise I would still be using my
mavic sunset rims had they been used with disc brakes.

Don't miss using them, happily look at the old thigs hanging up and
ponder at the advance for the good we have made.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 4:49 Quote
i would think they are all dead having not been able to stop and hitting a tree

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 5:45 Quote
BigBig5 wrote:
I ride a 2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport with V-Brakes. Are there any XC riders that still use V-Brakes because they work just fine for braking.

I have the same bike (I think mine is a bit newer)!

Sooo glad my new jeffsy will arrive shortly, time to relegate the v-brakes (And frame that is to small and 26 inch wheels) to local bike path duties.......

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 9:20 Quote
Dang, just threw away some XTR V brake pads figuring there was no use for them anymore. Haha

Guess I should dig them out and advertise them here. Wink

I purposely bought, and spent more on a new road bike vs a used one because of disc brakes. I cannot see wearing out wheels as well as brakes.

Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 23:20 Quote
At the 1994 UCI World Cup at Silver Star mountain in BC, I had some lower category race announcing duties. I remember interviewing Duane Nickull, who was a notable BC DH racer of the time, and later early internet entrepreneur, and a great interview on the microphone. He was talking about wearing out a set of V-Brake pads on essentially one run on the World Cup DH course. You could get longer lasting pads but they didn't work as well in the wet, especially on initial braking and really long lasting pads like Scott Mathausers would eventually wear through your rim and cause a spectacular radial crack failure. Ask me how I know. Anyway that was a long time ago and we have disk brakes now.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 15:51 Quote
They V-brake riders are all on the paved paths.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011712
Mobile Version of Website