Commencal Clash 97.5er, 29 front and 27.5 rear with geometry preserved.

PB Forum :: Commencal
Commencal Clash 97.5er, 29 front and 27.5 rear with geometry preserved.
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 16, 2020 at 6:42 Quote
It has been long since I have posted anything in a forum. I guess now is the time to give my feedback after reading so much all around, so I expect someone will benefit from it.

Last year I got my Commencal Clash frame + Fox X2. I was looking for a 29er, but due to my stature, those bikes tend to be just too big. So, I contacted Commencal asking if there was any problem with setting a 29" wheel in front of their Clash 2020. Their answer was clear: We would not be afraid to do so if the fork measures up to 581mm A/C.

After receiving the answer, I pulled the trigger on a Lyrik 170mm boost 29" and a Dt Swiss E1900 29" front wheel. I decided to go with a WTB Vigilante 2.5 upfront (29") and a Vigilante 2.3 rear (27,5) during the wet season. I changed them for two High Rollers II at 2.5/2.4 front-rear during the dry season. All adjustments on the bike were set to feel comfortable as usual with my old bikes. I decided to keep my short stem of 45mm with no spacers and a 15mm riser handlebar, as stack and reach are quite similar to what my old Cube Stereo 160 HPA had to offer. Although the reach is about 1,5cm longer on my Commencal Clash, I felt no need to shorten my stem; in fact, I had a feeling of a lack of space in my Cube, which made me ride on the back of the bike quite often.

So, being that said, I checked on the geometry, and it does have a small change. First of all, the front axle is a bit higher than it would be with a 27.5" wheel, which is the main point making for a small change on geo. Second, the 51mm offset of the fork contrast with the 46mm that would be expected on a regular 27.5". The first change makes the front angle a bit more slacker than expected. My measurements are about 64º front angle (I need to make a proper check, and I will update). The bike is expected to have 65º.

The general feeling of the bike is quite good, but not what I would expect from a Commencal Clash 2020. I've tested my friends Clash in its factory spect, and I can say they feel different. The full 27.5" feels agile, smaller than the bike looks like, while mine feels like a truck. The 29" wheel feels like it pops out the front, harder to control than the smaller wheel that feels more integrated on the bike.

The big difference comes during riding, in which each setup has its pros and cons. Although I need to do more testing on a full 27.5", I can tell the following aspects on the 97.5". First of all, the bike gets some sort of 29er feeling, as expected, is harder to turn on tight closed sections than expected with a smaller wheel. As well as the front is much more sluggish than the rear end. This affects riding flatter sections, when the rear wheel wants to play but the front wheel is there to plug through things, and not really wanting to fast turn and pop up from features. I have also felt my front wheel losing traction in various situations. My impression is that I may lack some technique on this setup, as this never happened to me before on the same trails. I can tell that the 29" wheel with 51mm offset in front needs more intention from my body to react, probably the losing traction is due to my weight being too much on the rear end. I may try a lower handlebar to check if this keeps happening.

During steep sections, things change though. The bigger wheel and the slacker angle play a significant role, The bike asks for speed while the front wheel stabilizes and ploughs through roots and rocks. I have never felt so confident going downhill on the steep sections. I can clearly see that I can push my friend's rear wheel on the steep while on flatter tight trails, it is harder for me to keep behind them.

So in my opinion, if you are riding mainly through steep stuff and the 29" bikes are just too big for you, just try it. It really gave me tons of extra security to deal with them. But at the same time, I had to pay for a big price on flatter tight sections. Because of this, I've just ordered a 27.5" front wheel. I will test it in the same areas and let you all know how it feels. It will be mounted on a 29" fork with 51mm offset. I am thinking on a 27.5x2.6 probably, to get in between the 27.5" and the 29".

Posted: Jul 20, 2020 at 20:19 Quote
Hi guys, I am looking at a CUBE stereo160 2018, XL.
Guy selling it is looking for $1,300 USD. Bike looks virtually brand new.
I have only been riding for about 1 year.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 14:59 Quote
Sounds like a sweet build, any pictures? I might mullet the new Meta AM 29 when I get it since it’ll mainly be used for bike park stuff.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
notmikebuckley wrote:
Sounds like a sweet build, any pictures? I might mullet the new Meta AM 29 when I get it since it’ll mainly be used for bike park stuff.

I am expecting to recive a 27 front wheel and I will be updating the angles and uploading some pictures.

Posted: Jul 26, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
patmagnier1987 wrote:
Hi guys, I am looking at a CUBE stereo160 2018, XL.
Guy selling it is looking for $1,300 USD. Bike looks virtually brand new.
I have only been riding for about 1 year.

Any thoughts on this are much appreciated.

I've been riding it for about 2 years. It is a fair bike to do trail riding, but don't expect a park bike. The progression of the suspension system is quite bland/soft. During mild trail or all mountain riding it was pretty well, but I smashed the bottom often on jumps even using a Fox X with maximum progression on it at 25% to 30% SAG. On rooty-rocky terrain it is a nervous bike. Easy to handle at slow speeds though, and short enough to turn. In my opinion it is a fair bike to progress, although there are better options out there.

Wink

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:49 Quote
After some testing, the results of the both builds are here:

HR II 29" x 2.5"

Front Angle: 64.5º
Front axle height: 37.5 cm
Rear axle height: 35.5cm
BB: 34.5 cm

DHF 27.5" x 2.6

Front Angle: 65.5º
Frong axle height: 35.5 cm
Rear axle height: 35.5cm
BB: 34 cm

-----

I took those measurements with rudimentary tools like a measure tape and my smartphone "angle meter" app. So numbers might not be completely real, as Commencal states that the bike is 65º. At the end, the important thing we can see is that the front angle changes by 1º.

More measurements should be taken to set the bike properly. I found out that by using a front 27.5 wheel my weight could go easier to the front, which I guess I could obtain by using lower front bars on my 29er front and probably avoiding the wheel washing out that easy.

Right now I will keep my 27.5 setup, and change it back to the 29 in some time to see what feeling I have on it. At first glance, it is clearly different, and I like the 27.5 better than the 97.5.

Anyway, every bike will behave different, depending on its geo I guess. I am not sure how much difference would it make to use a 29er and swap the rear wheel instead of using a 27.5er as I did.

Posted: Aug 31, 2020 at 15:10 Quote
Yo I love that you did this. I was contemplating getting a 2021 Clash then buy a separate 29er fork and wheel so i could swap back and forth between park days and enduro days.

Posted: Sep 13, 2020 at 0:42 Quote
Bennyfish wrote:
Yo I love that you did this. I was contemplating getting a 2021 Clash then buy a separate 29er fork and wheel so i could swap back and forth between park days and enduro days.

Check this https://enduro-mtb.com/en/mullet-mtb/, as this guys in Enduro MTB Magazine did the same with another bike, they changed a lot of parts to fit the same feel to the bike though. The thing is Clash 2020 and 2021 are a bit different bikes: different angles and inclusion of a "flip chip" in the new model basically. So both bikes will behave differently when swaping the front.

The really cool thing brands could start doing is making Flip Chips to fit different wheel sizes. That would be sweet for some of us.

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
[/Quote]

Check this https://enduro-mtb.com/en/mullet-mtb/, as this guys in Enduro MTB Magazine did the same with another bike, they changed a lot of parts to fit the same feel to the bike though. The thing is Clash 2020 and 2021 are a bit different bikes: different angles and inclusion of a "flip chip" in the new model basically. So both bikes will behave differently when swaping the front.

The really cool thing brands could start doing is making Flip Chips to fit different wheel sizes. That would be sweet for some of us.[/Quote]

Just saw your reply! I actually read that article the other day. I love how much detail they went into. They make it seem that going 27in to mullet is almost more pain than it is worth considering the expense and the negative effects for flat ground and climbing. However, if downhill is the focus then there are essentially only positives and I would say it's definitely worth trying out.

Have you ridden the mullet setup yet?

And you're right, the new flip chips are definitely a plus. I'm looking at getting a 29er Capra for this reason. Would have gone with the Meta, but Commencal didn't put a chip on it! Cam Zink put out a video of his mulleted Capra and noted there is almost negligible change to slack angle and bb drop.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEit1DUhoFk

If I get it I'll post it

Posted: Apr 23, 2021 at 5:47 Quote

I did mullet my 2019 clash for this season with a manitou mezzer pro at 170mm.

The Mezzer Pro comes up at 584mm A2C at 170mm ,

so we're pretty close to what commencal max recommendation of 581mm
(a lyrik 27.5 at 180mm is 572mm, lyrik 29 at 170mm is 581)

Put a 29x25WT Assegai up front and a 27.5x2.4wt Dissector out back.

I haven't notice any particuliar change in climbing ability but considering I dropped 2lbs in weight that might help a lot also. (removed tannus insert , went back to tubeless, old fork had a push ACS3 coil in it)

In the down , that thing EAT gnar , it just want to pick up speed, I love it.

I won't be riding another non-mullet bike ever, that thing is dial for smaller rider (5'7")

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 6:21 Quote
What size frames are you guys running the mullet setup on? I have a medium and I'm considering it as well.

Posted: Jun 23, 2021 at 6:29 Quote
Peerbaard wrote:
What size frames are you guys running the mullet setup on? I have a medium and I'm considering it as well.

I’m on a medium 2019

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007648
Mobile Version of Website