NX or GX or?

• Previous Page
O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 4:04 Quote
Hi! Looking for some user feedback. I am currently riding a 2019 full susp with 1x NX drivetrain. No issues with it, but see a lot of good, bad and ugly being said about that line. Is the GX line that much better? Would I benefit from upgrading to GX, or should I consider going a step higher? I am NOT a basher, speed demon, or jumper.... just an old man that enjoys riding most everything and wants things to work good. Thanks for any assistance! Ron

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 5:41 Quote
A few Buddies run 1x11 NX with no complaints, working well and consistent shifting.

I use a Shimano 1x11 set up and very happy with it too. Generally riders say Shimano is better than Sram with what I read and Shimano is also my preference between the two.

Sram SX derailleurs are made of plastic and seem to be poor quality and don't withstand any abuse or last long.

Higher up mechs and shifters in the Sram range are generally slightly better.

If considering changing cassettes from NX to GX or above will involve fitting an XD Driver to replace the standard Shimano freehub that the SX and NX cassette uses which could be a hassle to upgrade, add to the cost for not much gain.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 5:57 Quote
I'm on 12 speed GX right now. My previous bike was 12 speed NX. I don't notice a difference and I'm super hard on my drivetrains.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 7:30 Quote
I notice hardly any performance difference between SLX and XX1. Eagle is faster but Shimano is smoother and I always preferred the smooth feeling of Shimano over the clunky metallic feeling of Sram. When it comes to cranks it's no contest imo, Shimano cranks are as good as it gets, I rather have some XTR cranks than the Raceface carbon cranks I had. I think in the USA Sram and Rockshox tend to be most popular, here in the UK I would say it's Shimano and Fox. I will say though the XX1 cassette is by far the most long lasting cassette I've ever owned though and is light, but Shimano cassettes just shift smoother.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
I don't have any experience with Sram drivetrains but if you're happy with the gear range, shifting and it's durable enough for what you do I wouldn't spend money just to "upgrade." In my opinion an upgrade will fix or improve something that was previously lacking for you personally. If it doesn't fill a need then it's just throwing expensive parts on a bike.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 7:32 Quote
Danzzz88 wrote:
I notice hardly any performance difference between SLX and XX1. Eagle is faster but Shimano is smoother and I always preferred the smooth feeling of Shimano over the clunky metallic feeling of Sram. When it comes to cranks it's no contest imo, Shimano cranks are as good as it gets, I rather have some XTR cranks than the Raceface carbon cranks I had. I think in the USA Sram and Rockshox tend to be most popular, here in the UK I would say it's Shimano and Fox.

Hes asking about NX and GX.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 8:33 Quote
RonB wrote:
Hi! Looking for some user feedback. I am currently riding a 2019 full susp with 1x NX drivetrain. No issues with it, but see a lot of good, bad and ugly being said about that line. Is the GX line that much better? Would I benefit from upgrading to GX, or should I consider going a step higher? I am NOT a basher, speed demon, or jumper.... just an old man that enjoys riding most everything and wants things to work good. Thanks for any assistance! Ron

Gx will have the lighter cassette, but require a new freehub body/wheel.
Gx derailleur is a bit stiffer, a bit less slop.
Gx shifter has less free play/stroke in it, will have more of a positive, clicky feeling. Despite what others are saying, it will help you shift faster and more accurately.
Cranks, are cranks imo. It's an easy place to lose weight and spend stupid amounts of money doing so. Best to stick with what you have and wear out that bottom bracket before looking into anything else.

The least important part here is the derailleur. Assuming this is 12 speed you're talking about, the first thing to do is to get an x01/xx1 chain once your old one wears out a bit, as you'll get insane chain life out of one of those. Shifter comes down to feel - the GX and up will have matchmaker. X01 has the adjustable lever positioning to customize placement. Personally, I wouldn't run NX just because I can't get it to work with any brand of brakes and sit in a comfortable spot to shift with.

Depending on what kind of budget I was running, I'd be fine on a mostly NX setup, with an x01 chain (after the stock one wears out) and a GX or X01 shifter, to get that more positive feedback at the thumb, and more customization for placement. It also depends on how long you're running the bike. An x01 cassette and chain may seem unobtanium expensive, but seriously, the chain will last a few thousand miles if you're not constantly shifting under load, and the cassette can handle a couple of chains if you're using more than a few gears. It's all about what you're prioritizing here.

Side note, this generally isn't a great time to be getting sales on used or new bikes, components, etc. Just not a great year for it.

Shoutout to fourfourone for keeping things on topic here, haha.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 8:48 Quote
SRAM Eagle Group Weight Comparison
NX Eagle GX Eagle X01 Eagle XX1 Eagle*
Crankset 698g 632g 520g 493g
Rear Derailleur 340g 290g 276g 265g
Cassette 612g 448g 354g 360g
Trigger Shifter 111g 122g 124g 124g
Chain 271g 262g 260g 260g
TOTAL 2032g 1,754g 1,534g 1,502g
DIFFERENCE +530g +252g +32g —

https://bikerumor.com/2018/06/23/complete-sram-eagle-comparison-whats-the-difference-between-nx-gx-x01-xx1/

O+
Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 8:52 Quote
I think the original poster's question really was "should I upgrade to Shimano 12-speed XT from Sram NX directly or should I upgrade to GX first and then to XT?"

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 9:08 Quote
The best part of Sram is the cassettes, everything else Shimano is better...but here the problem is the Shimano Cassette is also the reason Shimano stuff shifts smoother. If you wear through cassettes and chains really fast then Sram is probably the way to go, but for anything else it's Shimano. Or if you prefer Shimano shifters but need durability just put a Sram cassette and chain and use Shimano everything else. Sram stuff is just tinny, it feels like Hyundai plastic vs Audi.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 9:18 Quote
...and here we have another thread wildly derailed from OP's original question due to personal feelings.

Might as well just fill out a rote response with "aluminumconsooomerdirect29erboost160 frame, shimano XT, oneup, stan's flows/WAO wheels" and paste it to every forum question as soon as one opens up. Maybe answer the guy's question first, then bring something else to the table.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 9:32 Quote
parkourfan wrote:
...and here we have another thread wildly derailed from OP's original question due to personal feelings.

Might as well just fill out a rote response with "aluminumconsooomerdirect29erboost160 frame, shimano XT, oneup, stan's flows/WAO wheels" and paste it to every forum question as soon as one opens up. Maybe answer the guy's question first, then bring something else to the table.

He is on NX, there is no sense paying for a whole new drivetrain to go to GX only... Which ties in with his next question should he upgrade higher than GX. Why keep it about only Sram and not put forwards other proposals when he is considering buying a whole new drivetrain? His question shows he has limited knowledge of drivetrains as who would pay £500 to swap out NX for GX? Hence people trying to guide him in a more useful direction.

Or to answer his question the way you woud like... No it's effing dumb to throw your NX away for GX, upgrade higher or don't do it, Full stop.

Posted: Jul 17, 2020 at 23:47 Quote
I agree with Danzzz88 about upgrading the notorious NX.
I recommend you to don't bother about reviews and since you don't have any complaints about your drivtrain, to just use it until it is fit for major maintenance. Drivetrains are wear and tear parts (except shifter) and you keep them unless there is something very wrong about them. I currently ride GX eagle. works okay although shimano shifted better but it doesn't matter for me.

Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 3:10 Quote
I'm all for Sram, not a Shimano fan-boy, but then again... You are only obtaining subjective opinions here.
I've rode SX, GX, XO1, XX1 and I'm waiting for a NX spec'd bike to be delivered. The XX1 is the only one that feels different, but then again how much notice do you actually take out on the trail? Ride what you have until you destroy it, unless you want to shed weight, then go xo1.

O+
Posted: Jul 18, 2020 at 9:07 Quote
Thanks for all the responses and comments! I will be keeping the NX installed until wear and tear forces a change. It is working good now. It is on a Giant Trance Advanced Pro 2. My Son bought a Cannondale Habit 5 just a week or 2 before I bought my bike this year, his bike also has the NX drivetrain, and he has had nothing but issues with his shifting, unlike what I am experiencing. He has a new GX derailleur ready to one his, but in all reality, I think it is his hanger that is bending causing the problems. We're going to try an "aftermarket" hanger on his also.thanks again for the help! Ron

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010046
Mobile Version of Website