Onyx Vesper Hub Problems

Author Message
Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 11:15 Quote
I have ridden with the author of this NSMB article ( https://nsmb.com/articles/2022-norco-range-c1/ ) where the issue of drag and drivetrain issues were caused by a faulty Onyx hub, similar to what you are presenting.

How long have you been riding the hub since the fix? I really hope this was just a QC issue and Onyx gets the durability issues sorted.


BryanBobo wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:
I bought a pair of WR1 rims to Onyx Vesper hubs. I rode the system 10-15 times before I took the bike in....

Thoughts?

I recently ordered a new wheelset and immediately had issues with the hub catching during compressions. Only way it didn’t happen was if I loosened the preload so much that there was play in the hub. Either way, I took the hub apart and saw this. I don’t know that this was causing it. But I sent this to Onyx and within a week or so had a whole new hub assembly shipped to me for free. Been riding it ever since with no issues. I heard someone else having a very similar issue around the same time as we with the same ultimate solution. Made me think maybe they had some know QC issue or something because they seemed to know immediately when I sent the photos and description what was causing the problem, even though (other than the corrosion) nothing was super obvious to me.


Posted: Dec 4, 2021 at 14:59 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
I have ridden with the author of this NSMB article ( https://nsmb.com/articles/2022-norco-range-c1/ ) where the issue of drag and drivetrain issues were caused by a faulty Onyx hub, similar to what you are presenting.

How long have you been riding the hub since the fix? I really hope this was just a QC issue and Onyx gets the durability issues sorted.

Been running the new one since July. So about 4months. Everything from ~20mi trail rides to downhill runs. Haven’t seen the issue crop up again (fingers crossed).

With end of season coming up now I plan to take the hub apart again to see if any new corrosion has popped up. Can report back here if I see anything.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 20:11 Quote
Do you guys live in particularly wet riding areas? I wonder if the hub sealing system just isn't sufficient for those who ride in wet environments for a majority of the year.

Posted: Dec 6, 2021 at 21:19 Quote
I ride 4 times a week in rain or shine on the North Shore in BC. Sometimes Squamish and the rest of the Sea to Sky area.

bdreynolds7 wrote:
Do you guys live in particularly wet riding areas? I wonder if the hub sealing system just isn't sufficient for those who ride in wet environments for a majority of the year.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 10:59 Quote
I live in MT, which is generally very dry. My buddy and I got Vespers at the same time. I have had zero issues with my hubs—I love them. He, on the other hand, has had a rough go.

His first set of hubs got nuked after he drove his bike over a snowy mountain pass on his rack. Ice built up on his wheels during the drive. A couple days later, after the bike had thawed out, the flanges on both the front and rear had corroded to the point that they snapped off—both hubs were completely toast. I would guess that the de-icer/road salts as well as the water and temperature change was just too much for the machined aluminum. After getting them warranteed, he rode the hubs a handful of times in perfectly dry conditions, only to have the rear seize up. The internals looked just like the pictures of corroded hubs pictured above. Again, this second hub wasn’t exposed to any moisture.

This indicates to me that Onyx had a bad batch that made it to consumers, and that they’ve fixed the issues. I think that’s just how she goes with small brands (even big brands) from time to time. I’ve had a great experience with mine, and I know other people who have as well. Thankfully, Onyx seems to warranty their products pretty readily.

Posted: Dec 7, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
I’m in the northeast but generally ride in primarily dry conditions. I’m also pretty careful to not blast seals with a hose, etc during cleaning.

Seems like it was a bad batch but I’d agree they were pretty supportive on the warranty front which I appreciated.

Posted: Dec 8, 2021 at 3:17 Quote
My Onyx classic back in 2018 also had the axle seize to the hub, was covered in oxidation and the sprag only lasted a few months staying razor sharp then become springy and sometimes and on the occasion wouldn't engage.Having to use a hammer with huge force to even release the axle to get the hub out of my carbon Yeti and the 450 gram weight and having to wait weeks on warranty to get a replacement to the UK I vowed never to buy one again. It's a shame because I liked the performance, but the cost, weight, reliability and having to warranty across the pond just didn't make it worth it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2021 at 0:34 Quote
Just as an update to my original post. Had the hub rebuild and the drive side bearing replaced.

After one ride I notice some slippage under power and on the second ride I could barely make it up 10 degree climbs as the hubs would keep slipping. I informed the bike shop and Onyx and the response from Onyx was to rebuild and re-service suspecting that the shop did not use enough grease. This is the same company that says that the Kluber grease should be used sparingly and barely need to be replaced.

Posted: Dec 30, 2021 at 22:38 Quote
Another update. Hubs rebuilt and I gave the shop enough Kluber grease to service 10 wheel sets. The shop could not get the hub to stop slipping under power which means the second warranty claim in four months.

For those counting:

17 rides total

4 weeks down time

2 warranty claims

2 rebuilds

1 set of drive side bearings ($60.00)

Gotta ask yourself if Vesper is worth it. My answer is no if you do any serious mountain bike riding where water touches the bike. I am hoping Onyx customer service takes the hub back on this warranty claim.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
Just as an update to my original post. Had the hub rebuild and the drive side bearing replaced.

After one ride I notice some slippage under power and on the second ride I could barely make it up 10 degree climbs as the hubs would keep slipping. I informed the bike shop and Onyx and the response from Onyx was to rebuild and re-service suspecting that the shop did not use enough grease. This is the same company that says that the Kluber grease should be used sparingly and barely need to be replaced.

Seems possible that they installed the sprag clutch backward. You'd still get some grip until things got to heavy then you'd slip. Might be a fairly easy fix and worth a look.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
BenLow2019 wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:
Just as an update to my original post. Had the hub rebuild and the drive side bearing replaced.

After one ride I notice some slippage under power and on the second ride I could barely make it up 10 degree climbs as the hubs would keep slipping. I informed the bike shop and Onyx and the response from Onyx was to rebuild and re-service suspecting that the shop did not use enough grease. This is the same company that says that the Kluber grease should be used sparingly and barely need to be replaced.

Seems possible that they installed the sprag clutch backward. You'd still get some grip until things got to heavy then you'd slip. Might be a fairly easy fix and worth a look.

Hmmm could be. I hope the shop would have taken a look at that as they rebuild the hub and sprag twice.

Posted: Dec 31, 2021 at 8:08 Quote
monsieurgage wrote:
BenLow2019 wrote:
monsieurgage wrote:
Just as an update to my original post. Had the hub rebuild and the drive side bearing replaced.

After one ride I notice some slippage under power and on the second ride I could barely make it up 10 degree climbs as the hubs would keep slipping. I informed the bike shop and Onyx and the response from Onyx was to rebuild and re-service suspecting that the shop did not use enough grease. This is the same company that says that the Kluber grease should be used sparingly and barely need to be replaced.

Seems possible that they installed the sprag clutch backward. You'd still get some grip until things got to heavy then you'd slip. Might be a fairly easy fix and worth a look.

Hmmm could be. I hope the shop would have taken a look at that as they rebuild the hub and sprag twice.

You'd think, right? A little story: I had a very similar situation with a sprag clutch on heavy industrial machinery. The lift would fail weight tests after a regular overhaul. The professional and qualified shop that performed the overhaul re-worked the machine and never found the issue. Me and one of my techs solved it - backward installed sprag.

Posted: Jan 1, 2022 at 5:26 Quote
Dump the Onyx & go with the I9 Hydra. Sooooo much better hub & let your bike scream! I love ❤️ watching other riders jump out of my way when they hear the ‘fire truck’ right on their azz!! Priceless!


Posted: Jan 2, 2022 at 6:42 Quote
My Chris King’s can become almost dead silent if you pack a little extra grease or King lube in them. Zero issues with reliability. What performance gains are you really searching for that would make you want to suffer all the extra headaches that go a long with these Onyx hubs? Do they really spin noticeably more freely than standard hubs?

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 9:43 Quote
Hi, anyone know what to do if the sprags get knocked out? I was just putting the cassette back in because it fell off when I took my rear wheel off, and I must not have put it in straight because it wouldn't go in. When I looked inside the sprags where all loose. Any ideas/help? I contacted Onyx but I got these used so I won't be able to warranty it with them.
messed up sprag clutch


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012836
Mobile Version of Website