Onyx Vesper Hub Problems

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 10:25 Quote
mjlee2003 wrote:
Hi, anyone know what to do if the sprags get knocked out? I was just putting the cassette back in because it fell off when I took my rear wheel off, and I must not have put it in straight because it wouldn't go in. When I looked inside the sprags where all loose. Any ideas/help? I contacted Onyx but I got these used so I won't be able to warranty it with them.
messed up sprag clutch

Remove the bearing and retaining clip, and the sprag clutched will fall right out. just put the tangs back in their cage and you should be good.

On another note though, your hub internals look pretty filthy. I would flush them with solvent, clean the hub and axle, then and regrease with Kluber ISOFlex.

Posted: Jan 13, 2022 at 16:40 Quote
mjlee2003 wrote:
Hi, anyone know what to do if the sprags get knocked out? I was just putting the cassette back in because it fell off when I took my rear wheel off, and I must not have put it in straight because it wouldn't go in. When I looked inside the sprags where all loose. Any ideas/help? I contacted Onyx but I got these used so I won't be able to warranty it with them.

I recommend going to their website and watching their videos on how to take care of the hubs. There's lots of good info here and it is worth your time.
https://onyxrp.com/product-category/bike-hub-service/

Posted: Jan 25, 2022 at 9:24 Quote
brinkerhoff150 wrote:
Anyone had issues with Onyx Vesper hub causing the rear cassette to bind up (not spin freely) while backpedaling? Brand new hubs and when the rear axle is torqued (~12nm) the hub completely binds up. Works fine when not torqued. Also the binding is not constant - part of the friction during rotation is more noticeable at certain points in the stroke.
You should probably make sure your cassette lock ring is on straight first and then take it to a shop to get it looked at.

Posted: Feb 1, 2022 at 21:53 Quote
I had a set of wheels built with Onyx Vesper hubs. Love em! But I've recently noticed Lots of flex in 1st gear. I’m putting about half my weight in the pedal and I get about 12mm (half a link of chain from pin-to-pin) of movement out of the cassette when the hub isn’t moving. Is that normal?

video:
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/4F_dn9jqGCw

Posted: Feb 10, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
Rippedbx wrote:
I had a set of wheels built with Onyx Vesper hubs. Love em! But I've recently noticed Lots of flex in 1st gear. I’m putting about half my weight in the pedal and I get about 12mm (half a link of chain from pin-to-pin) of movement out of the cassette when the hub isn’t moving. Is that normal?

video:
The sprang clutch does work a little bit that way, but I can't speak to how far that twist (rotation) is for engagement. The internals rotate backwards to bind things up. (I may not have the exact words right).

All hubs will have some of this, pawl and ratchet hubs will have to go from normal forward movement toward a locked condition when going backwards as the pawls / ratchets engage.

Putting half your weight on the pedals is probably well above normal conditions when things are moving and engaged.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 1, 2022 at 13:48 Quote
I had something similar happen to me. Putting the power down in my low gears meant that the sprag clutch would slip and make that same noise. It turned out that the inners were contaminated and rusted prematurely.

Rippedbx wrote:

video:

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 16:29 Quote
CorBillionaire wrote:
I just received my new NOBL TR37 wheels after almost 2 months of waiting and I opted for the Onyx Vesper hub option in fluorescent orange and right out of the box I noticed some issues.

For starters I noticed that the lock collars holding the hub assembly together are really loose and could slide off quite easily. I discovered this the hard way after hand tightening the cassette and carrying the assembly to my car to go get the right cassette tool to torque it down. As I was carrying the wheel I tilted it slightly and watched in horror as my brand new cassette fell from waist height onto the hard pavement. Initially I thought the cassette lock nut must have come undone but upon further inspection I realized the hub had fallen apart and the only thing holding it together was a little slip fit ring. After playing around with the assembly I realized that the ring on the other side (Which has a bolt to cinch it down) was also really loose even though the bolt was fully cinched.

I've never owned hubs that have had this issue before, I literally had to hold the wheel completely vertical to prevent the "lock" rings from sliding off either end when the wheel is off my bike. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with Onyx hubs?

They seem to be kind of low quality overall which is not what I'd expect considering the high cost. I'm going to contact NOBL on Monday to see what my options are in terms of fixing the issue or getting a replacement.
possibly the hub axle might be broken. I had the classics and loved them but broke the hub axle twice, if you file a warranty you can request for a stronger one. I do still believe that they are the strongest and most reliable hub out there through experience.

Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
PeytonHurt wrote:
CorBillionaire wrote:
I just received my new NOBL TR37 wheels after almost 2 months of waiting and I opted for the Onyx Vesper hub option in fluorescent orange and right out of the box I noticed some issues.

For starters I noticed that the lock collars holding the hub assembly together are really loose and could slide off quite easily. I discovered this the hard way after hand tightening the cassette and carrying the assembly to my car to go get the right cassette tool to torque it down. As I was carrying the wheel I tilted it slightly and watched in horror as my brand new cassette fell from waist height onto the hard pavement. Initially I thought the cassette lock nut must have come undone but upon further inspection I realized the hub had fallen apart and the only thing holding it together was a little slip fit ring. After playing around with the assembly I realized that the ring on the other side (Which has a bolt to cinch it down) was also really loose even though the bolt was fully cinched.

I've never owned hubs that have had this issue before, I literally had to hold the wheel completely vertical to prevent the "lock" rings from sliding off either end when the wheel is off my bike. I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with Onyx hubs?

They seem to be kind of low quality overall which is not what I'd expect considering the high cost. I'm going to contact NOBL on Monday to see what my options are in terms of fixing the issue or getting a replacement.
possibly the hub axle might be broken. I had the classics and loved them but broke the hub axle twice, if you file a warranty you can request for a stronger one. I do still believe that they are the strongest and most reliable hub out there through experience.

The axle configuration on the Classic is different now than it was just a year ago. It's both stronger, and more modular. Similar to the Vesper now.

I have built a lot of Onyx hubs for people and have yet to have a single person come back with an issue. I've also owned half a dozen sets myself, without a hitch.

O+ FL
Posted: Mar 5, 2022 at 17:12 Quote
I broke an axle on my Onyx Classics as well. I have not heard of this issue with Chris King which is similar in price. Comparing CK to Onyx I would hope for the quality and reliability of a King hub but the silence of an Onyx.

PeytonHurt wrote:
CorBillionaire wrote:

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 11:27 Quote
May have to cancel my onyx Vesper Hubs after reading all the negative comments.. Chris King has an eight week waiting list!! Hadley may be an option. DT swiss have always been the most reliable for me looking for real quality!!

Posted: Jul 30, 2022 at 13:13 Quote
dgw7000 wrote:
May have to cancel my onyx Vesper Hubs after reading all the negative comments.. Chris King has an eight week waiting list!! Hadley may be an option. DT swiss have always been the most reliable for me looking for real quality!!

Vespers have been pretty sorted out lately. I haven't seen many issues. Onxy Classic is where it's at however, I think. Better axle layout, better bearings, never an issue. Extremely dependable, and what I sell to anyone who can over torque a DT Swiss hub.

CK has had crazy lead times for ages. I ordered hubs earlier in the year, when they had a 5 month lead time! Still waiting for those. Fortunately I have several sets on hand. Still 6 bolt hubs on hand which I can't believe.

Posted: Jul 31, 2022 at 11:49 Quote
dgw7000 wrote:

For what it’s worth… I’m one of the folks who commented here in the past about issues with new hubs. Emailed onyx and they knew right away what the issue was, had a free replacement piece to me right away and the hubs have been flawless ever since (coming up on two season of riding). Everything from long days out in the saddle to DH park laps.

Now my biggest issue is sneaking up on unsuspecting riders on the trail and trying to find other ways to make noise so they know I’m behind them!

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
I thought about going with the classic hub I had them before they were bulletproof.. but definitely wanted to try to save some weight hundred grams heavier than the vesper!! My gut tells me not to go with the Vesper since I’m about 200 pounds and love to mash out of a saddle also like steep technical climbing!! I just heard Hadley is coming out with center lock within a few months and they’ll be lighter than ever probably one of the best most reliable Hubs I have ever had. Using it on a single speed bike right now it’s been bulletproof for seven years. Really easy to service and really good company still no website though kind of crazy!! Local bike shop just discontinued selling onyx because of problems with the hub shell breaking and the bearings not holding up but I didn’t experience that!! There’s something about the silent smooth feeling you get with the Onyx that draws me to them and they spin forever!!

Posted: Aug 4, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
dgw7000 wrote:
I thought about going with the classic hub I had them before they were bulletproof.. but definitely wanted to try to save some weight hundred grams heavier than the vesper!! My gut tells me not to go with the Vesper since I’m about 200 pounds and love to mash out of a saddle also like steep technical climbing!! I just heard Hadley is coming out with center lock within a few months and they’ll be lighter than ever probably one of the best most reliable Hubs I have ever had. Using it on a single speed bike right now it’s been bulletproof for seven years. Really easy to service and really good company still no website though kind of crazy!! Local bike shop just discontinued selling onyx because of problems with the hub shell breaking and the bearings not holding up but I didn’t experience that!! There’s something about the silent smooth feeling you get with the Onyx that draws me to them and they spin forever!!

Hub shells breaking?! I build quite a few Onyx and have yet to see that happen. But then any hubshell will break if you go to high on the tension. Onyx have a limit of 125 kgf, and I never exceed that.

Interestingly, I have weighted a rear Classic and rear Vesper side by side. Stock Classic (ceramic bearings) and alloy driver, next to a Stock Vesper (steel bearings) and the difference was like 9 grams.

Posted: Aug 15, 2022 at 9:23 Quote
privateer-wheels wrote:
dgw7000 wrote:

Hub shells breaking?! I build quite a few Onyx and have yet to see that happen. But then any hubshell will break if you go to high on the tension. Onyx have a limit of 125 kgf, and I never exceed that.

Interestingly, I have weighted a rear Classic and rear Vesper side by side. Stock Classic (ceramic bearings) and alloy driver, next to a Stock Vesper (steel bearings) and the difference was like 9 grams.
Early onyx hubs with HG freehub bodys could crack along the splines, split in two lock up in the sprag and expand as the wheels rotation continued. this would split the hubshell in half and in most cases result in very serious rider injury. The issue has been mitigated with the new lightwaight freehub body. I do not like the sprag engagement it feels soft and spongy to me, i really wish somebody would adopt the center supported freehub body with a more traditional mechanism.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.040468
Mobile Version of Website