Banshee rune v3

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 21, 2020 at 20:42 Quote
Hello,

So i am looking at banshee rune v3, but it seems i cant find any decent review(s) online. Anyone owns one or tried one and can do a quick summary about the bike?

Thank you

Posted: Jul 22, 2020 at 6:27 Quote
Wish I could be of more help but I have a Rune V2. I absolutely love the V2. I honestly can't imagine a better Enduro bike but having room for a water bottle like the V3 would be great.

Everything from Banshee is a very high build quality with top end pivot bearings.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 8:32 Quote
Dkutassy wrote:
Wish I could be of more help but I have a Rune V2. I absolutely love the V2. I honestly can't imagine a better Enduro bike but having room for a water bottle like the V3 would be great.

Everything from Banshee is a very high build quality with top end pivot bearings.

Glad to hear you say this. I’m buying a V2 next week to build up. Just getting back into riding after being out for 10 years.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 18:25 Quote
hardline wrote:
Dkutassy wrote:

Glad to hear you say this. I’m buying a V2 next week to build up. Just getting back into riding after being out for 10 years.

Just don't expect to be climbing fast Smile . It has some pedal Bob and it's not the lightest bike out there. It loves to be ridden hard and fast downhill. My first few descents the bike felt kind of skidish and stiff. After letting off the brakes a bit more and carrying speed this bike really showed what it was made for! At least at my 160Lbs it does not like to be ridden gently.

It's my only current mountain bike and I ride it on everything from flat easy trails to 20+ mile backcountry rides with a ton of climbing and descending. Yes, there are better bikes for climbing or cruising around but this bike will take you anywhere and it's a total blast on any downhill.

Another note, mine is a 2016 V2. They made some updates after 2018. One forum user I've seen said he loved the 2016 V2 but didn't quite get along with the updated 2018 V2 for some reason. I also have a 2018 V2 frame but haven't built it up to ride it yet.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 12:44 Quote
I've put in some km's on a 2020 Rune v3. For the most part it performs well enough on the ups and smashes on the downs. Mine is built with some burly components making its 35.5 pounds definitely felt on the way up, so you'll want to pull that climb switch for anything more than a quick push. I came from a 2016 Giant Reign Advanced, and I would say the Rune climbs better but mostly due to the steeper seat tube angle. The Reign bobbed less, but with the climb switch on, both felt about the same in this regard. On the descents though, the Rune is much more compliant over chatter with the suspension that bobs on the climb is more active in the first couple inches of travel than the Reign. The Rune, despite being slacker and longer, feels more nimble and balanced than the Reign, and also easier to pop off of anything. The Reign was better at simply keeping the rear tire on the ground as you picked up speed, this is probably better for the racer, but made the bike feel a little numb and difficult to play with. I am about 215lbs with gear, and ride....shall we say.....not gracefully, and this bike seems to suit me better than the Reign overall......Oh, the rear end is so much stiffer compared to the Reign where I constantly had my tire buzzing on the chainstay in hard corners.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 13:03 Quote
a guy i know has one, and is selling it or may have already sold it. You really need to have the terrain for that much bike. Borders on DH bike capability. If you want a legit freeride bike that will climb, the rune is probably the best bet right now.

The shorter travel v3 bikes (Prime, Spitfire) are as capable as most 160mm enduro bikes available right now, depending on how you build them. they also climb very well. I have 3 trail climb KOMs on my 35lb Prime v3, so it can definitely climb.

Just think about what you're going to be riding. Rough natural, steep trails? Park type trails with gap jumps, 5ft drops? The spitfire with a burly build will definitely handle that. If you're going to be riding straight up DH tracks and racing down the roughest stuff you can find, the Rune may be the better choice.

Posted: Jan 25, 2021 at 14:06 Quote
The rune v3 I would say climbs as good as my Norco Optic. LOL.

Whats interesting though is the spitfire v3 with a 150-160 fork.

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 17:03 Quote
Maestroman87 wrote:
I've put in some km's on a 2020 Rune v3. For the most part it performs well enough on the ups and smashes on the downs. Mine is built with some burly components making its 35.5 pounds definitely felt on the way up, so you'll want to pull that climb switch for anything more than a quick push. I came from a 2016 Giant Reign Advanced, and I would say the Rune climbs better but mostly due to the steeper seat tube angle. The Reign bobbed less, but with the climb switch on, both felt about the same in this regard. On the descents though, the Rune is much more compliant over chatter with the suspension that bobs on the climb is more active in the first couple inches of travel than the Reign. The Rune, despite being slacker and longer, feels more nimble and balanced than the Reign, and also easier to pop off of anything. The Reign was better at simply keeping the rear tire on the ground as you picked up speed, this is probably better for the racer, but made the bike feel a little numb and difficult to play with. I am about 215lbs with gear, and ride....shall we say.....not gracefully, and this bike seems to suit me better than the Reign overall......Oh, the rear end is so much stiffer compared to the Reign where I constantly had my tire buzzing on the chainstay in hard corners.

What size frame are you on? (and how tall are you?) I have been trying to decide between a Large or XL Rune v3. I'm 6'4" so on paper the XL seems like the one but I prioritize a playful bike and I don't want it to feel like I'm driving a limo. Thoughts? You seem to describe the Rune as pretty playful so I'm optimistic!

Posted: Feb 11, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
snicholas11 wrote:
Maestroman87 wrote:

What size frame are you on? (and how tall are you?) I have been trying to decide between a Large or XL Rune v3. I'm 6'4" so on paper the XL seems like the one but I prioritize a playful bike and I don't want it to feel like I'm driving a limo. Thoughts? You seem to describe the Rune as pretty playful so I'm optimistic!

If you're 6ft 4" I would get the xl for sure. The cockpit when climbing would be super small for you on a large.

Posted: Feb 20, 2021 at 18:35 Quote
XL without a doubt. I would probably go XL if I had time back. I'm 6'1". I do think it's playful within the realm of what it is. Due to the steep seat tube angle, the cockpit feels small while climbing so definitely go for an XL.

snicholas11 wrote:
Maestroman87 wrote:

Posted: Apr 18, 2021 at 1:34 Quote
newbermuda wrote:
a guy i know has one, and is selling it or may have already sold it. You really need to have the terrain for that much bike. Borders on DH bike capability. If you want a legit freeride bike that will climb, the rune is probably the best bet right now.

The shorter travel v3 bikes (Prime, Spitfire) are as capable as most 160mm enduro bikes available right now, depending on how you build them. they also climb very well. I have 3 trail climb KOMs on my 35lb Prime v3, so it can definitely climb.

Just think about what you're going to be riding. Rough natural, steep trails? Park type trails with gap jumps, 5ft drops? The spitfire with a burly build will definitely handle that. If you're going to be riding straight up DH tracks and racing down the roughest stuff you can find, the Rune may be the better choice.
Second on this, I've got a v2 Rune, It's an amazing bike and handles freeride/big stuff like a dream, if you live somewhere with serious mountains or anywhere with massive features go for it, but otherwise I'd say go for a Spitfire, that will still take a 160 fork and be seriously seriously capable. Rune can be a bit of a slugger if you're riding any flatish trails.

My old local was a quarry with 1-2 minute runs with some fairly serious jump lines in it, and the rune was perfect for that, felt 90% as planted as a DH bike but was absolutely no bother pedaling up.

I'm really curious about the Rune V3, I reckon if you built one up with a 180mm Zeb or 38, and then chucked an Angleset and offset bushings in it in the low setting, you would have a ridiculously savage bike.

Posted: Apr 19, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
dbxrace wrote:
newbermuda wrote:

Second on this, I've got a v2 Rune, It's an amazing bike and handles freeride/big stuff like a dream, if you live somewhere with serious mountains or anywhere with massive features go for it, but otherwise I'd say go for a Spitfire, that will still take a 160 fork and be seriously seriously capable. Rune can be a bit of a slugger if you're riding any flatish trails.

My old local was a quarry with 1-2 minute runs with some fairly serious jump lines in it, and the rune was perfect for that, felt 90% as planted as a DH bike but was absolutely no bother pedaling up.

I'm really curious about the Rune V3, I reckon if you built one up with a 180mm Zeb or 38, and then chucked an Angleset and offset bushings in it in the low setting, you would have a ridiculously savage bike.

I'm running the Rune v3 with a 170mm 38. This gives it just under a 64 degree headtube angle in the low setting. A 180 would bring it down to about a 63.5. While I agree it was make it a beast on the roughest descents, it would probably make it worse elsewhere. The aggressive geo is certainly felt on the flowier blue trails, but not in a good way.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005270
Mobile Version of Website