NEW BIKE: Old Geo + carbon or modern geo + avg components?

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
NEW BIKE: Old Geo + carbon or modern geo + avg components?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 23, 2020 at 18:49 Quote
Looking for a new bike,

1150 budget max. ... literally open to any full suspension bike.

Here are what my thoughts are... go with my guns and get an ibis sl, slr, HDR (good deals are around 1000-1250. HDR more expensive ~2k) and cant really be beat at climbing or weight. Around 26 lbs but has skinny tires and not the geo nor grip of modern bikes
A trek fuel ex or top fuel would do the same trick.... still open to any older model even a Santa Cruz nomad v2 2013 and older. Cannondale rize as well maybe ?

I have seen some Santa Cruz super lights that are really old still hold their value very well but they dont interest me

OR

Do I hop go for a 27.5 or 29? Probably from 2017 or so with modern geo.

I am mechanically inclined and ride average trails. I think 140-120 travel front + back would be ideal. New England territory

In a best case scenario, Id want a something that holds value and I can sell quickly (which makes me want to stay on the big name brands) and rides well too. I just dont have the ability right now for a 3k bike.

26, 27.5, 29 doesnt bother me. Just looking for your guys' opinions !!

THANK You

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 16:08 Quote
If you can find one try a calibre bossnut. The older bikes you are looking at used are good. But you never know the service history of used bikes trying to buy new is the best. If you can try to take it to a shop and have it all checked over to make sure its good no cracks or dents blown pivot points ECT....

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 16:51 Quote
I would say go for a bike with modern geo, avg. componets, and try to get one used. If you can get one from a shop, if they're selling their demo fleet, or find one on PB buy/sell that would probably be your best bet at getting a good deal on a full sus bike from the last 4 years.
You may be able to find an older bike for cheaper, but their geometry is so outdated, and today's 'average' componets are actually really good. The reason I say get it used is simply price. If you keep your eye out and know what to look for, you can usually end up with INSANE deals on bikes. Although there may be scratches here and there, a maintained bike will run for ages.
Best of luck!

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 5:49 Quote
Thank you guy. That calibre does look good!

@bhastey do you have any recommendations for some models I can find here in the states?

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004760
Mobile Version of Website