Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?

PB Forum :: Other
Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
Hello everyone,

I took my Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 out to Copper Harbor, MI a couple weekends ago. About halfway through the day, I was waiting for the shuttle and noticed this.

Apparently Copper Harbor tested my bike like it hadn't been tested before and one of the main pivot bolts worked itself out and the only thing holding it in was a small plastic "cap!" I am so lucky it didn't fully work its way out or I would've been in trouble.

While waiting for the shuttle, I re-tightened the bolt to spec (24nm) and took another run. Being cautious, I would ride for a few minutes and then check the bolt. The bolt would pretty consistently work its way out/loosen itself about halfway down some of the long runs. After this behavior, I was pretty sure it was the main pivot bearings being the issue. When I got back home, I spoke with Canyon and got a new set of bearings ordered as well as a new main pivot cap.

Does everyone agree it was the bearing causing the main pivot bolt to keep loosening itself? If so, why would this bearing have gone "bad" after not even 200 miles of riding? When it comes to pushing a full-suspension mountain bike, most of the trails where I live near St. Paul, MN are quite easy on a mountain bike's suspension. There's not a ton of rocky sections and when there are, they are quite short.

Now for my question/issue. I would like to get the bearings replaced ASAP so I can ride, however, the soonest I can find an appointment with a mechanic is in 2 weeks Gotta love covid.

Is there a specific bearing puller tool that I need for my particular bike? Is the bearing puller tool the same tool that you use to fit it back in? I'd like to learn how to do this repair myself as I will definitely need to replace more bearings in the future. I've heard a lot of people mention that they prefer packing the bearing with grease. Is that everyone's consensus or just a few people?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I've had my Spectral for about a month and noticed the same bolt had worked loose.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
This just happened to my brothers spectral, pretty keen to get to the bottom of this too

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006934
Mobile Version of Website