Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?

PB Forum :: Other
Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?
  • Previous Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 7:00 Quote
Hello everyone,

I took my Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 out to Copper Harbor, MI a couple weekends ago. About halfway through the day, I was waiting for the shuttle and noticed this.
photo

Apparently Copper Harbor tested my bike like it hadn't been tested before and one of the main pivot bolts worked itself out and the only thing holding it in was a small plastic "cap!" I am so lucky it didn't fully work its way out or I would've been in trouble.

While waiting for the shuttle, I re-tightened the bolt to spec (24nm) and took another run. Being cautious, I would ride for a few minutes and then check the bolt. The bolt would pretty consistently work its way out/loosen itself about halfway down some of the long runs. After this behavior, I was pretty sure it was the main pivot bearings being the issue. When I got back home, I spoke with Canyon and got a new set of bearings ordered as well as a new main pivot cap.

Does everyone agree it was the bearing causing the main pivot bolt to keep loosening itself? If so, why would this bearing have gone "bad" after not even 200 miles of riding? When it comes to pushing a full-suspension mountain bike, most of the trails where I live near St. Paul, MN are quite easy on a mountain bike's suspension. There's not a ton of rocky sections and when there are, they are quite short.

Now for my question/issue. I would like to get the bearings replaced ASAP so I can ride, however, the soonest I can find an appointment with a mechanic is in 2 weeks Gotta love covid.

Is there a specific bearing puller tool that I need for my particular bike? Is the bearing puller tool the same tool that you use to fit it back in? I'd like to learn how to do this repair myself as I will definitely need to replace more bearings in the future. I've heard a lot of people mention that they prefer packing the bearing with grease. Is that everyone's consensus or just a few people?

Thanks in advance.

Posted: Nov 21, 2020 at 7:47 Quote
Hey, just wondering if you ever got to the bottom of this? I've had my Spectral for about a month and noticed the same bolt had worked loose.

Posted: Nov 22, 2020 at 9:37 Quote
This just happened to my brothers spectral, pretty keen to get to the bottom of this too

Posted: Dec 7, 2020 at 6:46 Quote
Same issue for me. I just sent a help ticket to canyon. Taking it apart, the bearings are fine, spinning smoothly with no play. Has to be something else pinching so that the bolt works loose.

photo

Posted: Dec 26, 2020 at 19:15 Quote
Anyone received a reply from Canyon about the root cause of the main pivot bolt getting loose? I got the same issue with my 2019 Spectral AL 6.0, then need to replace the broken cap which I couldn't find in Canyons webpage.

Posted: Dec 27, 2020 at 15:00 Quote
A friend of mine had a similar issue with his Spectral, after having Canyon UK “resolve” the issue twice, he returned the bike and bought something else.

From memory, I believe it was the aluminium sleeve in which the pivot bolt passes through that was incorrectly machined. This resulted in the bolt reaching its torque spec before actually being sufficiently tightened, since it was just tightening against the sleeve as opposed to against the bearings, and therefore rattling loose within a very short time on not very demanding trail.

Not sure if Canyon now have a fix for the issue, but from this thread it sounds quite common.

Posted: Dec 28, 2020 at 8:45 Quote
Spoke with Canyon on the issue as it happened to me yesterday. They said use blue locktite and sent me a new cap.

Posted: Dec 31, 2020 at 13:11 Quote
Had this issue with a 2018 6.0 early on, locktite and torqued really took care of it. I just make sure to check all the pivots every 50-100miles. recently had the frame warrantied for various issues and the first ride on the new frame which is a 2020 and the very first ride on it it did exactly this. no locktite on that bolt straight from canyon, wasn't really surprised by it. pretty simple fix so long as it doesnt blow out the cap.

Posted: Jan 1, 2021 at 13:39 Quote
Canyon just said to replace bolts and use locktite.

It seems to me to be the same issue George described above. From what I can tell looking at mine, I am pretty sure the main pivot spacer was getting pinched by the chainstay instead of the inner race of the bearing. I've also had a creak when pedaling while seated the entire time I've owned this bike. I think this creak was coming from the spacer rubbing.

There is wear on the back of the spacer (which shouldn't move against the seat post) and on the ring where it is supposed to press against the inner race of the bearing in the chainstay. The spacer on the other side of the bike doesn't have this same wear.

This should be solved by making the inner part of the spacer a little longer, or sinking the bearings a little deeper in the chainstay. Seems like a tolerance issue on Canyon's part.

I ended up cutting a shim to sit between the inner race and the main pivot spacer out of some 0.01" shim stock. So far this seems to have done the trick. It hasn't come loose on the last few rides. And the creak went away completely which makes me think its fixed.

photo
Pinch points circled in red. Wear between inner race pointed to with arrows.

Posted: Jan 4, 2021 at 10:50 Quote
I had the same issue on my Spectral CFR 9.0 LTD. Just got it on 10/30 and I just noticed the issue last week while riding with my Son during the holidays.
I called Canyon and they suggested using Locktite as well. They are also sending me a new cap.

Pivot bolt came loose on my new Canyon Spectral CFR 9.0 LTD. It broke the cap.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 13:21 Quote
This is a success story: Practically since I got my AL 6.0 in 2018, it has creaked incessantly and eventually the main pivot bolt poked its way out of the pivot cover.

photo

I have had this same problem multiple times and followed the "loctite and torque" recommendation from Canyon. Each time it fails to prevent the issue. As you can see, comparing a new spacer and the old spacer - there was serious rubbage. And not the good kind.

photo

Enter the nickcarlevaris fix. I checked in with him to see how his fix was going on his bike, and he said "all good" so I decided to try the same. Using 0.01" shim stock, I cut a shim to sit between the inner race of the bearing and the main pivot spacer. I've never done anything like this before, and you can see I botched it big time the first go. With a little more finesse, I was able to cut it more carefully the second time.

photo

I've now ridden over 110 miles and more than 16K feet of climbing, and today I checked to see if the main pivot had backed out at all. I'm happy to report my marking shows no movement of the pivot bolt, and my bike has been silent since I completed the fix. Thanks nickcarlevaris! You da real MVP!

photo

I know some people may find that loctite works. But it didn't for me. Hopefully, this fix will be a permanent solution. So far so good.

FL
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 20:10 Quote
I have a 2021 Spectral 7. I am having the same issue. Every 20 hours or so the main pivot bolt backs itself out. The bike has about 55 hours on it total. I have contacted Canyon twice now. The first time they told me to do what they told all others: Clean it, Loctite it, and torque it to spec. Even after doing it by the books it backed itself out again. I contacted Canyon again. They said they would send new pivot bolt caps and a new pivot bolt. I received the items today. I got a nice metal pivot bolt cap and horst-link bolts with instructions for a Neuron....I'm scratching my head about the horst-link bolts. Considering I received the correct pivot bolt caps I would assume it was known I had a Spectral and I sent them photos (which look identical to all other photos here) both times I contacted them so it's hard to believe that this was a mistake. After looking at the horst-link hardware though I'm pretty sure there is an issue here. Here is what they sent:
photo
After checking Canyon's site and inspecting my Spectral, I'm pretty sure the Spectral horst-link bolt kit should look like this:
photo
I'm no expert, but even if they had sent the correct horst-link bolts would this even solve the issue? I just sent them an email regarding this confusion so I'll update my post when I hear back. But what the f*ck Canyon? The homemade spacer idea is a path I'd rather not go down considering I bought the bike in January. I mean I don't even get 6 months out of it before I have to start manufacturing my own parts? Don't get me wrong, props to those who have solved their issues. I just don't feel like I should have to, it came from the factory like this. I've also never had an issue with creaking. Other than the bolt backing itself out I've had no issues. Anybody else get any other info from Canyon or know anything about this horst-link bolt shananigans?

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
Following this, as I just noticed this same exact problem on my 2018 Spectral AL 6.0 on the first ride after getting the shock and fork overhauled. Had to cut my Downieville trip short... couldn't fit my 8mm hex tool between the chainring and bolt to tighten it.

Posted: Jun 26, 2021 at 11:19 Quote
Having the same issue with drive side pivot bolt backing out. Loctite seemed to help, but any time i want to check the bolt torque it would often weaken the break the Loctite and eventually loosen again. For now i've applied new loctited and marked the bolt location so I can visually inspect instead of torque. I'd like to find a more permanent solution. Anyone have any general measurements on for these shim spacers? Seems more practical to order some from McMasters than to order a sheet of shim stock and cut.

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 4:12 Quote
Just ordered a 2021 spectral 7al 27.5

I wish I saw this post prior. Any updates on shim? If it works and what the dimensions are on it? I would rather install shim right away and never have to deal with this.

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.017842
Mobile Version of Website