Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?

PB Forum :: Other
Canyon Spectral AL 5.0 main pivot bearing issue?
| Next Page
Posted: Oct 13, 2021 at 16:54 Quote
I didn't end up shimming it, but Canyon warrantied the pivot bolt and spacer. It's been holding at torque for the last few months with some Loctite. Still considering shimming it when i have some time though

Dich-rixon wrote:
Just ordered a 2021 spectral 7al 27.5

I wish I saw this post prior. Any updates on shim? If it works and what the dimensions are on it? I would rather install shim right away and never have to deal with this.

Posted: Oct 28, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
Just wanted to post an update since I’ve gotten some DMs asking me. The shim that I made and posted about previously is still working like a charm. I’ve ridden the entire season, and my main pivot bolt no longer backs out and I have no more creak from the pivot spacer being pinched. As for exact dimensions on models that are different than my spectral, I couldn’t tell you. Essentially the outer diameter is the maximum diameter that will fit inside the bore in between the pivot spacer and the bearing, and the inner diameter is the diameter of the pivot bolt (to allow the bolt to pass through). The idea is that you are adding 0.01” to the inner lip of the pivot spacer to allow the inner race of the bearing to move with the linkage and prevent the spacer from rubbing against the frame. The best part? Shim stock is CHEAP. Just buy some and try cutting a shim for yourself. If you can’t manage to do it, you’re only out 10 bucks, but that would be after going through a ton of shim stock. If you do manage to make a shim and actually FIX the problem rather than just re-loctiting your pivot bolt every ride, you will feel like an absolute baller. I promise.

Posted: Jan 6, 2022 at 13:23 Quote
I have a 21 spectral. After 2 rides on my bike the bolt came crushing through the cap twice. I’m pretty unhappy and wish I saw this thread for sure lol. I am going to attempt the shim. Wish me luck!!!

Posted: Jun 7, 2022 at 4:57 Quote
The shim worked for me!

Posted: Jun 27, 2022 at 23:13 Quote
Hi guys, I'm going to do the trick in order to fix my creaks and bearing issue. Could someone give me the inner and outer diameter he used for that ? It's the same for every bikes I think, because the spacer and bearings are the same.

Also, I wonder what material you used for the shim. Aluminium ?
One last dumb question, is the thickness of the shim very important ? All of you mentioned 0.01inch. Can I use 0.25mm thick ?

I hope I will make it fixed by some day.

Edit :

I managed to do it with a 0.5mm thick shim stock.
The inner diameter is 15mm, and the outer is 17mm.

As noob in mechanic as I'm, I asked for help, and here is how to do :
- Take a bit of shim stock.
- Cut a 4 cm by 4cm square in it.
- Do a little hole in the center with a nail.
- Draw the whole piece with a permanent marker.
- Draw your two circles for the inner and outer diameter with a compass.
- Drill the center as large as you can.
- Finish the center with a Dremel.
- Cut the outer circles with metal scissors, and sandpaper it.

You should be done Wink

Posted: Jul 5, 2022 at 22:50 Quote
Sorry to revive old thread...but which way do the main pivot spacers face?

Cone/rubber seal against the bearing or against the frame?

Posted: Jul 6, 2022 at 7:47 Quote
I lost the original dimensions, but i can report back that loctite and a fresh replacement set of spacers has been holding for a few months now. I pop the cap off every few weeks to check. It also helps to place some indexing marks with a sharpie so you can visually check.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006538
Mobile Version of Website