Fox bullying Slik Graphics

PB Forum :: Fox Racing Shox
Fox bullying Slik Graphics
| Next Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 17:53 Quote
enforcing trade mark = bulling?

Very SJW of you.

There a pile of very valid reasons to enforce trademark, and a pile of very valid reasons not to appropriate someone elses trademark with out permission.

One (of the many) potential answers to the question, why now?
If fox is working with a company to licence production of these products, its in neither parties interest if other companies are producing these items without licence/permission. it lessens the value of the brand and lessens the value to company producing the product.

This scenario is nothing like Specialized or Backcountry, they were seeking trademark protection for a word, not a logo. Big difference. a logo is the defining characteristic of a brand, its actual IP and hold actual value. Vs litigating companies over the use of an ambiguous word.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 17:58 Quote
Fox logo fox copy right. Nothing like Specialized at all since its not just a name of a town like spec where using and alternative products wheels. Silk are using direct copies of Fox graphics even keeping up year to year changes and you can buy replacement sticker kits from Fox as well.

It sucks but that's their right to defend it and the may even be obligated to do it.

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 18:56 Quote
mtbman1980 wrote:
Fox logo fox copy right. Nothing like Specialized at all since its not just a name of a town like spec where using and alternative products wheels. Silk are using direct copies of Fox graphics even keeping up year to year changes and you can buy replacement sticker kits from Fox as well.

It sucks but that's their right to defend it and the may even be obligated to do it.

You can't buy custom colors from Fox.

They aren't obligated to.
https://www.dbllawyers.com/can-lose-trademark-rights-dont-sue-infringers/

Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 19:05 Quote
No you can’t buy custom colours but you can buy decals wether they are custom or not doesn’t matter.

They should have been paying fox from the beginning and it’s a pretty shitty/stupid business practice to take someone’s logo and use it without permission. I had always assumed they had a licensing agreement.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 12:56 Quote
You guys are actually talking about switching brands over this??
This stuff goes on everyday in business.
Why do you think copyright/trademark laws exist?

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 13:32 Quote
slope wrote:
You guys are actually talking about switching brands over this??
This stuff goes on everyday in business.
Why do you think copyright/trademark laws exist?

Noone is debating they're in the "right" legally. From a business stance it's stupid, you're not penalizing Slik, you're f*cking your customers.

They could have easily come to a licensing agreement that wouldn't have killed Slik business.

I hate clashing colors on my bikes. I've had nothing but Fox for 20 years and since finding Slik everyone of them has has Slik graphics on them. Makes my 5k plus bike look good. Form over function, but if for $20 I can make it look better, why not.
So why would I reward Fox for this? Fox gave me the middle finger, so I'll give it back.

There are a lot of people like me. I was looking a Revel frame, there is a picture with a Fox shock but it wasn't a choice when you went to buy. I was actually going to reach out to them and ask if I could get the a Fox shock as shown, now I'll just go with the Frame and Fork option with RS and sell the Fox I was going to put on it.

Posted: Jul 28, 2020 at 23:57 Quote
I do wonder if peoples views are clouded here simply because its a bike brand as said this happens all the time. Fox are a huge brand they need control over it they can't have companies doing what they want with it. For all we know Silk started to use colour combinations which were against their brand guidelines so they got shut down. If this was happening with two non bike related brands I really wonder if A people would care or B would they even know about it. Likely not.

Fact is it was pretty stupid of Silk to build a company of ripping off another brand when it started to kick off they should have contacted Fox paid a percentage, told all customers and passed that expense onto customers.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 13:21 Quote
Update from Slik. Appears as though they're making headway with Fox:

Slik Graphics AB

Jul 29, 2020 —

The team at Slik would like to thank you, the bike community, for your incredible support the past couple of days. The influx of positive comments and messages really blew us away.

We are happy to update you that the bike division at Fox Factory reached out directly to organise a call; we were able to connect for a positive and productive discussion on Tuesday, July 28th.

The team at Fox were incredibly sympathetic and expressed that their plan all along has been to partner with select aftermarket decal manufacturers and that Slik was always at the top of their list, however, an internal miscommunication on their part led to the unfortunate situation that occurred. They are enthusiastic to find a solution with Slik and we have arranged a follow-up discussion next week. We are going to continue with the hopes of a swift agreement so that we can get back to delivering what you need.

We will continue to update you as things progress.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 18:38 Quote
Awesome! Best outcome for everyone.

Posted: Jul 29, 2020 at 18:48 Quote
bishopsmike wrote:
Awesome! Best outcome for everyone.

Well, there are probably a hand full of other companies with the same business model as silk who are either going see a dip in their income or face litigation...

Shouldn’t we rally behind them now? Silk is in collusion with Fox, so now they are equally evil, no?

| Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005799
Mobile Version of Website