Give me some hope

• Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Jul 27, 2020 at 20:36 Quote
I’ve been having muscular back pain/soreness for a couple years now, and I’ve done a few things to treat it, including fits, acupuncture, chiropractic, and a lot of strengthening. The strengthening helped a bit, but the soreness and tightness is back with a vengeance. I’m getting another fit from a PT tomorrow, and I’ve started a 30-day plan to strengthen my core.

Would love to hear from others who have struggled with back pain and overcome it. It feels a little hopeless at times. I rode really well this year, but it was a bummer to have my back pain show up again before the end of the season. What did you do? How did you stay sane while you were dealing with it?

O+
Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 20:40 Quote
dralbright wrote:
I’ve been having muscular back pain/soreness for a couple years now, and I’ve done a few things to treat it, including fits, acupuncture, chiropractic, and a lot of strengthening. The strengthening helped a bit, but the soreness and tightness is back with a vengeance. I’m getting another fit from a PT tomorrow, and I’ve started a 30-day plan to strengthen my core.

Would love to hear from others who have struggled with back pain and overcome it. It feels a little hopeless at times. I rode really well this year, but it was a bummer to have my back pain show up again before the end of the season. What did you do? How did you stay sane while you were dealing with it?

What is causing your back pain? Do you have disc problems or just general discomfort. I have found stretching to be key. When I started running regularly to stay fit during the off season, I got intense back pain. Assumed it was just bad posture or what comes along with running 4-5 miles 7 days a week. My pain was in the middle of my back and felt like something was pulling my spine apart. I eventually figured out it was muscle tightness causing all the issues. More specifically I believe it was based around my psoas muscle. I found a routine of stretching and using a foam roller every day to keep myself loose and haven’t had a problem since. If you have a diagnosed back problem that’s not anything I can help with.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 22:38 Quote
dralbright wrote:

I am not sure where on your back or what type of pain your having; however i will state what helped me and that is....... Deadlifts. strengthens your whole posturer chain. I used to have lot of lower back pain and once i started (about 2 weeks into training it went away and has never returned. make sure you take plenty of time to learn proper form before putting on any real weight on the bar. Deadlifts are also a great exercise for mountain bikers in general, can help increase pedal power

Posted: Aug 18, 2020 at 2:11 Quote
I tore a bulging disc at work and struggled with bad back pain for nearly two years after the tear had healed. I started yin yoga (5min stretches) at my local gym, the morning after my first session was the first time my back hadnt hurt in two years. I then started reformer pilates to strengthen and learn how to activate my core which helps alot in everyday life as your core supports your back when lifting, working ect.

Posted: Aug 20, 2020 at 21:12 Quote
Thanks for all the responses! Deadlifts, stretching, and Pilates all sound like great options. And it's really great to hear that you've been able to keep riding even with back problems! That all makes me feel better. :-)

I've been doing a lot of stretching and some kettlebells at home. Deadlifting is hard during the pandemic, but as soon as I can get back into the gym, I'll do it!

Thanks again for sharing your experiences. It really is helpful.

Posted: Oct 10, 2020 at 23:51 Quote
PT is very helpful. Also consider the role of stress in your life. Sometimes it will cause you to unconsciously stay stiff. When I was dating this one gal who was super stress inducing I always had back pain and eventually tore a disc from overstraining. About a month after breaking up with her it all went away and I haven't really had pain since.

dralbright wrote:

Posted: Oct 23, 2020 at 7:40 Quote
I have a bulged disc in my lower back and broke my T1 in March. Yoga is great although studios here were hit hard by corona and the restrictions kinda defeat the zen of going for me. I’ve been training pretty hard, through the pain and have noticed quite a bit of improvement overall. Hydration is extremely important, I used Hydration IV packets every time I hit the trails. Make sure to get decent protein afterwards. Try not to think about how sore it makes you feel, once you strengthen your back muscles and get more support that way, the pain doesn’t go away, but eases considerably. CBD can be decent if you find stuff that isn’t derived from commercial hemp.

The way I see it, my back hurts whether I bike or not. When I’m flying through the woods, my mind never seems to sense the pain.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.010368
Mobile Version of Website