Problem with ticking sound and cracking when braking

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Problem with ticking sound and cracking when braking
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 10:36 Quote
Hi,

I have a nukeproof mega 2018 and I've been having a nightmare with an erroneous loud ticking noise only when I pedal. Also, if I put power down hard there is often a loud crack sound that sounds though its coming from the cranks. But I've checked everything. If I lock the back brake fully and stand on the pedal there is a crack sound and also when rocking the bike there is some movement to accompany the crack. So far I've replaced all frame bearings, bottom bracket, rear hub service and axle replacement, chain, pedals....with no joy. I recently upgraded to shimano saint brakes but no idea if the problem started before or after this with any certainty.

When pedalling the noise is almost like a loud metallic ticking and it's infuriating. I've checked spokes, cassette and everything and it's driving me up the wall!

There is some movement in the calipers from the pads when rocking the bike but that wouldn't explain the crack when pedalling without braking or the constant ticking when pedalling.

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I could try please?

Thanks

Neil

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 12:38 Quote
Try removing the seat post /seat and going for a short trial ride.
You gotta try everything.

Posted: Jul 30, 2020 at 12:48 Quote
Thanks dude. Pretty sure it's not the seat as it does it when I'm off the seat and also when off the bike completely.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Bearings are most likely dry. If possible pull rubber seals regrease, spin and reinstall rubber seal. Driveside lower nearest to bb are usually the first to go. Don't over tighten the hardware.

Posted: 3 days ago Quote
Thanks,

Unfortunately I've just had all frame bearings replaced by the local bike shop so I know it's not that.

Neil

Posted: 24 hours ago Quote
If your bottom bracket is press fit, it's possible the noise may be coming from there due to misalignment - this website explains what I mean:
https://www.hambini.com/bottom-bracket-pressfit-and-creaking-an-engineering-analysis/

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004575
Mobile Version of Website