Headset doesn’t fit ?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Headset doesn’t fit ?
Previous Page |
Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 10:41 Quote
So I got the bike back from the bike store And they told me this headset doesn’t fit on the bike, do you think they’re lieing? I’ve done the research and the manufacturer and canyon themselves said this headset would fit. Any feed back ? Tbh it’s so close to fitting

Trying to post a pic but isn’t letting me
There’s pics in my account

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 13:54 Quote
Try another bike shop?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 14:26 Quote
What frame &year and what exact headset specs did you buy?

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
Canyon strive cf 2018
Nukeproof neutron top , ZS44-28.6 - T2, 1.1/8", Top Cap Included

Posted: Jul 31, 2020 at 15:48 Quote
JonnyTheWeasel wrote:
Try another bike shop?

I might try another one but can’t find any near me tbh

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 4:10 Quote
It looks like the correct headset for the bike.

What is the actual issue you are having?

There is a compression ring which is under the top cover and goes between the bearing & steerer tube - is this pushed in place correctly? As it’s a compression fitting, it is a tight fit.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 4:31 Quote
Dh rider UK They said the top cap didn’t fit even thought it’s the one that came with that headset so not sure if they did something wrong or what

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 13:05 Quote
The photos don’t really show the problem but if the black top bearing cover isn’t going down, it’s because the compression ring isn’t fitted correctly.

Take off the top cap, stem, spacers and top bearings cover.

Make sure the compression fitting is pushed down fully into the bearing. It will be a tight fit and you may need to move the steerer slightly by hand to get it fully centered

Refit then top bearing cover, spacers (you’ve loads fitted!), stem and top cap then retighten everything.

Remember you also need a few mm gap between the inside of the last spacer and the steerer so the top cap can fully tighten.

Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 14:03 Quote
Do they perhaps mean that the top cap bolt doesn't reach the star-nut?

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 9:39 Quote
dhrideruk wrote:
The photos don’t really show the problem but if the black top bearing cover isn’t going down, it’s because the compression ring isn’t fitted correctly.

Take off the top cap, stem, spacers and top bearings cover.

Make sure the compression fitting is pushed down fully into the bearing. It will be a tight fit and you may need to move the steerer slightly by hand to get it fully centered

Refit then top bearing cover, spacers (you’ve loads fitted!), stem and top cap then retighten everything.

Remember you also need a few mm gap between the inside of the last spacer and the steerer so the top cap can fully tighten.

I don’t know man they said they installed a different compression ring because the other one didn’t fit let me see if I can upload the chat on my account you can have a read through about what they said i understand bikes but man they are making it complicated

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 11:07 Quote
Based on the message it sounds like he has fitted some shims between the compression ring and the cap. It sounds like the headset still had play in it even after tightening the top cap bolt. Adding shims enabled him to remove the play whilst still ensuring the steering was smooth. I've never needed to use these shims on headsets that I have fitted, but sometimes they are needed. It looks like he has fitted more than needed though.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:25 Quote
The original compression ring that came with the headset needs used. It is a tight fit but just needs pushed down into place.

I’d try another bike shop as that one is clearly not very competent!

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 12:41 Quote
dhrideruk wrote:
The original compression ring that came with the headset needs used. It is a tight fit but just needs pushed down into place.

I’d try another bike shop as that one is clearly not very competent!
I think I’ve realised that the less than a 1mm play comes from the fact that I don’t have a bottom headset, canyon is a bit complicated because it could have an integrated bottom headset or not, I feel like I’m missing a bottom headset

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 9:23 Quote
From the pic it looks like the headset is not compressed down enough and it shows
a gap, thats how I'm seeing it, so with that

Take the stem, top cap and spacers off, remove fork and sit the top headset together and see
how it seats and if theres a gap, if no gap then its other factors, if yes then its something to with
headset.

Assume the top cap has been correctly fitted and not sitting on the steerer.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 12:16 Quote
muddytreker wrote:
From the pic it looks like the headset is not compressed down enough and it shows
a gap, thats how I'm seeing it, so with that

Take the stem, top cap and spacers off, remove fork and sit the top headset together and see
how it seats and if theres a gap, if no gap then its other factors, if yes then its something to with
headset.

Assume the top cap has been correctly fitted and not sitting on the steerer.

I have a feelings it’s because there’s no bottom headset, canyon is being complicated with this because they aren’t showing if I need a headset or it’s already integrated in the bottom

Previous Page |

Copyright © 2000 - 2020. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005497
Mobile Version of Website