New to mountain bikes, need advice

PB Forum :: Canada - West
New to mountain bikes, need advice
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: Aug 1, 2020 at 23:18 Quote
Hi everyone, total noob here. I'm looking to get into mountain bikes this year. I ride a commuter to work and on weekends for fun, but it's just not exciting. So far I'm thinking of getting a Kona Process 153. I'm more interested in enduro style riding, but maybe the occasional bike park day later on when I get some skills developed. Am I wrong to think this is kind of a good do-it-all bike? I've been told a full suspension bike (as opposed to a hardtail) is better for someone starting out and that it is easier on the lower back and knees (I have some minor issues with my lower back and knees after fixing cars for 20 years!).

Also, I don't know anyone else who rides bikes, so it would be good to meet a few new friends to ride with around the lower mainland!

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 6:58 Quote
I'm thinking the 153 isn't really what you want for a couple of reasons.
She's a downhill style bike, not so good going up.Also fairly heavy.
If developing skills is the plan a hardtail is what you want to learn on, to 'see lines',and not develop any bad habits.A 29er cross-country or maybe enduro would be my suggestion.

I repaired autos for 50 years so I know about 'bad backs'.

That said, I ride a Superfly full suspension 29er. It's great for everything except full on downhill. But I don't ride as hard as I use to.

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 7:11 Quote
Not sure what your budget is, but take a look at the Santa Cruz 5010. Very fun all around bike - in town, on tame trails, on rowdy trails/descents. Does it all. I love riding mine down staircases.

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 18:43 Quote
You're going to get a lot of opinions, I'd try and find a bike store that does demos, or at the very least will let you sit on the bike, use a bike store you trust, and just go with the best you can afford that works for you.

If buying new, it's hard to go wrong with any bike these days - as long as the bike matches your needs you'll be fine.

Have fun.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 16:37 Quote
Thanks for your help and opinions guys!

Wickedfatchance: I was also under the impression that a hardtail was the way to go for a beginner like me. Maybe I really should be looking at one of those instead? They're definitely a lot cheaper, and it would be cool to have one as well as a full suspension bike later on. I really do want to learn proper techniques and everything first. That way I can appreciate the capability of a full suspension bike better later on. Yeah, I've got some minor problems with my back and knees now, but no doubt that's only going to get worse with time anyways.

I know it's a subject that's been beaten to death, so I'll just keep doing my own research. But, if any of you care to offer your opinion about hardtail vs full suspension as a first bike, I'm glad to hear/read it.

O+
Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 19:40 Quote
I think the learn on a hardtail thing isn't totally true. Its harder to ride difficult terrain, which means you need to be a better rider to ride it... But will kind of hold you back and I don't think having rear suspension will stop you from learning all the important skills.

Since you live in the lower mainland you should get an all around trail/all mountain bike, because you'll want something that pedals nice but won't hold back much on downhills, if you're looking at Kona, the process 134 would be sweet. The next jump 'up' to enduro bikes means they'll pedal a bit worse but be unstoppable on the descent, so if you're really keen on learning to ride bike park and 'enduro' go with the 153, they're sweet.

Also, not a bad idea to get in on a lesson of some kind, to wrap your head around a new sport and get the basics. Not sure exactly where in the lower mainland you are but Endless biking is a really good company in North Vancouver that does that. Could rent a bike from them too, might help decide what kind you want to buy. Not sure how they're running this year but here in Whistler the bike park has some lessons going and the other guiding companies in the valley are running too.

O+
Posted: Aug 13, 2020 at 23:16 Quote
I'm a big fan of Giants, for a few reasons. I've had a bunch, and they've all done really well. They tend to be cheaper than most other bikes, pound for pound.

I'd look at a Trance...that was my first full suspension bike and it did extremely well. I took mine on everything from XC to lots of enduro type stuff to Mount Washington and Whistler. Zero issues. I now ride a Reign, which is has also seen all sorts of action (though no bike park, since I now have a Glory for that). My best friend and I bought bikes at the same time...I bought a used Trance and he bought a brand new Rocky Mountain Altitude...we were about the same skill level and rode the same trails...he had all sorts of issues with his Rocky (blown hubs, failed suspension bearings, etc), and I did nothing but wear and tear items (tires, brake pads, chain) on the Trance. So far, after almost a year of riding, my Reign has needed a new chain. That's it.

Posted: Aug 14, 2020 at 1:52 Quote
greywolf999 wrote:
Thanks for your help and opinions guys!

Wickedfatchance: I was also under the impression that a hardtail was the way to go for a beginner like me. Maybe I really should be looking at one of those instead? They're definitely a lot cheaper, and it would be cool to have one as well as a full suspension bike later on. I really do want to learn proper techniques and everything first. That way I can appreciate the capability of a full suspension bike better later on. Yeah, I've got some minor problems with my back and knees now, but no doubt that's only going to get worse with time anyways.

I know it's a subject that's been beaten to death, so I'll just keep doing my own research. But, if any of you care to offer your opinion about hardtail vs full suspension as a first bike, I'm glad to hear/read it.
Giant Trance, Norco Optic or some simmilar modern Trail bike is probably good do-it-all compromise which will not limit you when you progress with skills and will also help with some backpain on harder terrains. Invest some money into coaching sessions and join some local MTB community/club, you will meet some simmilar thinking people to help you progress further into MTB. Avoid races in the start, they can be too much for total begginer. Maybe later...or never Big Grin

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 at 23:55 Quote
Thanks again for all the advice! I ended up getting a great deal on an older model Kona Process 153, and I just picked it up today after work! Can't wait to get riding it! I'm planning to just ride around an open grassy area at first to get a feel for the bike and try working on some basic skills before hitting trails. I will definitely look at some coaching or lessons too, and of course join a local riding group of some kind.

Posted: Aug 16, 2020 at 8:29 Quote
Congratulations on the new toy...dammit, I hoped to sell you my old frame Smile

If you have the means, head to the Delta Watershed - mainly flat-ish with a good chance to feel the bike out on roots and some smooth rolling trails.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/delta-watershed/

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009952
Mobile Version of Website