Specialized Linkage Breaking Rear Shocks?

PB Forum :: Specialized
Specialized Linkage Breaking Rear Shocks?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 20:13 Quote
Hey all, I have a 2018 enduro, and whenever I bring up the rear shock in conversation (which I recently blew up), I hear all about how specialized linkage is notorious for putting tons of stress on shocks and breaking them. Even though multiple people seem to know about this problem that I talk to, there seems to be nothing on the internet. I would like to know why this happens, if it is as relevant on the 2018 enduro with the V2 yoke, and how it is actually breaking the shocks.
Hopefully someone knows in depth why this is happening, as I am really confused why specialized would sell bikes that destroy shocks, or if this is even a thing at all.
Thanks!

Posted: Aug 2, 2020 at 20:20 Quote
Never buying spesh in my life again. Shock blows up because of loose air valve

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 17:09 Quote
Dankerider wrote:
Never buying spesh in my life again. Shock blows up because of loose air valve
never heard of loose air valve problems, but ya, never buying again. Gonna try transition next

Posted: Aug 3, 2020 at 19:32 Quote
I haven't heard too much about shocks blowing up, but I think that the yoke they use can put stress on the shock. I believe I have read that it is an issue on any bike using a yoke just because of how it is mounted. This could all be hearsay so don't take my word as gospel.

I have a 2017 or 2018 Stumpy and luckily no issues, knock on wood. So that is probably why I haven't heard anything.

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 6:22 Quote
ya, i've heard that too, about the yoke being a problem. My only thing is that multiple of my friends that work at bike shops say that they have blown up shocks come in quite often, and they're almost always from special ed bikes.I figured that if it was this common in my small town, there would be more information about it on the internet from around the world, but that hasn't been true. Thanks!

Posted: Aug 4, 2020 at 11:02 Quote
PS

I also am running the coil version so that might also explain the difference. Also didn't have to worry about the air cap on the fork flying off and taking my eye out.

Posted: Aug 5, 2020 at 6:49 Quote
Ok. I actually just finished machining a part that allowed me to fit a FOX DHX2 on my enduro. It looks sick, feels good, so i'll see how it holds up. I'll post pictures soon

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 16:53 Quote
bhastey wrote:
Ok. I actually just finished machining a part that allowed me to fit a FOX DHX2 on my enduro. It looks sick, feels good, so i'll see how it holds up. I'll post pictures soon

Please share. Thank you

Posted: Aug 6, 2020 at 20:26 Quote
Its a 2017 Fox DHX2, custom lower eyelet to fit specialized yoke, on a 2018 enduro pro.

Posted: Oct 26, 2021 at 10:28 Quote
bhastey wrote:
Its a 2017 Fox DHX2, custom lower eyelet to fit specialized yoke, on a 2018 enduro pro.
How did this end up working?

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 21:39 Quote
Virtual pivot, 4 bar etc. just give much better control over the kinematics than single pivot does, be it linkage driven or straight, however linkage driven can have any leverage ratio and with wheel kinematics being not as important if that works well, this means a good single pivot rides almost just as well as a good complex linkage, also in theory you can make a much worse complex suspension if you don't know what you're doing, but it's not really relevant these days.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007933
Mobile Version of Website